D&D (2024) How much would you spend on monthly subscriptions for dnd?

How much would you spend on monthly subscriptions for dnd?

• $0

Votes: 92 60.9%
  • $10 or less

Votes: 45 29.8%
  • $25 or less

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • More than $50

Votes: 0 0.0%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I used to pay the $6 per month for D&D Insider, and that more than made the subscription worth it. I currently pay for the big DM tier currently for D&D Beyond and find it to be not at all onerous. I also throw Morrus a few sheckles every year for whatever tier it is I'm subscribed to EN World (Copper level or something?) as this place has given me hours of entertainment.

I personally find the comments about not wanting to "rent" material to be a bit overblown myself... seeing as how I've literally bought RPG material for good money, glanced through it for an hour, and then have NEVER gone back to it in however many years it has been and its just sat on my shelf. So those products might as well have been things I "subscribed to" then "lost" when the "servers got shut down" for all the results I got out of them. And the fact that I still technically "have them" is meaningless if I don't use them.

Owning something you don't use is not intrinsically better than renting something you do, as far as I'm concerned.

aco175

Legend
While I do not see much use out of DDB for my group, I have looked up things on the site for monsters and items and spells. They pop up for free on a search though. If they made a Dragon and/or Dungeon magazine thing to offer as well, then I could see something for a subscription. I voted $10, but more in the $6 range.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Hard to say. I currently use Foundry which suits my needs, and is flexible and customizable when it doesnt. I have Forge for hosting and then spend a modest amount on maps. After all expenses I'm probably in the 10 a month spot. Hard to imagine wotc meeting that.

We don't play online so VTTs are not something I'd spend money on. However, like I've stated before, I'd drop 10$ a month on official D&D 3d printing STL files. I'm already spending that with Loot Studios so that's money WotC could be getting.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We don't play online so VTTs are not something I'd spend money on. However, like I've stated before, I'd drop 10$ a month on official D&D 3d printing STL files. I'm already spending that with Loot Studios so that's money WotC could be getting.
See, my online game is just Discord and Theater of the Mind, with the occasional (free) use of Roll 20 screen shared if I want to draw a map. I only spend subscription money for content, not ease of access or use.

MGibster

Legend
::Waves hand:: I am not the monetizer you are seeking.

I only started playing online because social distancing due to COVID was the responsible thing to do. Once vaccinations became available, my group decided it was time to meet face-to-face. Playing online was better than nothing, but meeting up with live people is how the game was meant to be played. I play many games, not just D&D, and I tend to only be in one campaign at a time. Even if I wanted a subscription plan, I'd have to be able to cancel it for the many months I'm not running D&D and then resume my subscription when it's convenient. Even if I were inclined to go for a subscription, I don't know if I'd want to keep track of manage yet another subscription to some service. At one point in time the only subscription I had was to World of Warcraft, but with streaming services I've got more to keep track of now. It's getting to be a pain.

Yeah, I think this poll only makes sense for those already playing online.

If you like a light "VTT" that does have character sheets and some very basic automation (at least in terms of dice rolls), check out: playrole.com. Also provide excellent video conferencing.
I mostly play online these days but just do so over Skype or discord with no miniatures or grid. If you take out the battle mat, online play feels a lot more like live table play

See, my online game is just Discord and Theater of the Mind, with the occasional (free) use of Roll 20 screen shared if I want to draw a map. I only spend subscription money for content, not ease of access or use.

Which is a choice you made. For some people ease of use has intrinsical value.

Same for games with pay to progress faster.
Some people have more money than time. So it seems fair that more casual players can help themself and just add some money into the mix.

Remove ads