• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How not to metagame as a dm?

dragonis111

First Post
As the title says, when I dm I have trouble with metagaming myself. Because I know what the pc's are most likely going to do because I can hear the players talking back and forth, this sometimes affects how I control the monsters and npcs they fight, I know metagaming is bad and I try to avoid it, I am wondering if anyone here has any tips for me?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Just view your NPC's in your head having their own dialogues and planning periods, just like the PC's are. Organically work it through as if they don't know what the PC's have decided. If they're smart bad guys, they will be able to figure out what some of the PC's actions or responses might be, and that's okay. But when you overhear the PC's talk about something you hadn't thought of before, then play your NPC's as purposely ignorant of that.

:)

IronWolf

blank
I find the combat notes in some of the Pathfinder APs helpful to keep me from metagaming too much. The combat notes in many of the encounters list the first few actions the bad guys will typically take. Having those going into combat I already know what my critters will try *until* the critters see the PCs do something that will alter their plan (note - I said when the critter sees the action, not when you the GM hears the players talking about it).

It is perfectly fine for NPCs to react to characters if they are reacting to things in game. Less so if they are reacting to plans being talked about at the table.

Nebten

First Post
Wear a rubberband on your wrist. When you find yourself metagaming, snap the band against your flesh. Overtime you'll be trained to the response that metagaming=pain.

I would perform a similar service on your players, but instead use a wiffle ball bat. In time, reaching for that slim yellow piece of plastic will make your players cower down to the god that you are.

Burn_Boy

First Post
Is meta-gaming as the DM really that bad? I know my players pretty well, I know what they excel at and what they're lacking and I tailor my encounters to that.

For example, our monk has specced himself to be able to trip anything with two legs and disarm anyone, unless they're Huge size or larger. So if I want to give a challenge, is there anything wrong with making the dungeon boss a giant sized version of whatever you're fighting?

And our rogue can feint just about anything on the planet, but throw a few Dire Bears into the mix that are too stupid to try and trick and you've got a challenge.

Now if you abuse this and make sure every encounter is going to mess with your players, then yes it is a bad thing. But playing against their strengths will make them work at it and what DM doesn't love seeing his players sweat some?

Dingo333

First Post
how are you metagaming to their actions

they are planning their actions, and if they were not meta gaming themselves, they would be communicating this to each other in game and an observing enemy could figure out "hey, that cleric was just told to heal the fighter, quick, kill the fighter before she can heal him"

now, that isnt to say the sorcerer reminding people he has fireball or the fighter saying that he has a couple heal potions in his bag is metagaming. After traveilng together, you would expect people to have a fair idea of what they can do or what they typically have on hand

Nookie

Explorer
Make them RP their planning session. No reason in game for them to Suddenly know and coordinate this Uber plan that was never mentioned in game. That way there is a chance for spying and divination's ect ect to even the playing field. Be fair though give the a spot check or something to notice the spy or what have you.

Nimloth

First Post
My DM has a real problem with this. Any monster or NPC of a certain power/int level (I estimate 6HD or 12int) becomes a tactical genius, regardless of background or training. So much so that I don't want to face things with real int or things that should have good tactics - old dragons, really smart devils and such. None of his BBEG have flaws or weaknesses, and always use the BEST tactics. And since the DM is freaky smart. they are freaky smart. Seriously, I DM for him and he can tear apart a scenario/combat in nothing flat with tactics and just enough luck to be annoying. His villians always (ok, not 100%, but way more than they should IMO) know how we fight, but we are always surprised by what they can do.

It's gotten to the point that I no longer play a character, I play a toon. A carciture of a character whose only goal is combat. My toon has no outside interests and barely roleplays. And when I do roleplay, it's in as much of a sterotypical manner as possible.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Not all DM metagaming is bad. DMs have a lot of work to do. They have a lot of NPCs to manage. If the PCs come up with plans or other parts of discussion that would be reasonable for the NPC, given his intelligence, skills, and resources, then I may incorporate it even though I never thought of it in advance.

The question really is balance. Yes, there's that word again. In this case, we're not talking about mechanical balance but fairness. I will not constantly screw my players even if I do use their discussion against them in some ways. I will not play all of my monsters like tactical geniuses when, by the stats, they clearly are not. I will not exploit holes in the rules unfairly. In short, I will take a balanced approach to the game in challenging the players' abilities and challenging their PCs' abilities, in coming up with situations that are tactical challenges and provide interesting and fulfilling role playing.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It's gotten to the point that I no longer play a character, I play a toon. A carciture of a character whose only goal is combat. My toon has no outside interests and barely roleplays. And when I do roleplay, it's in as much of a sterotypical manner as possible.

That may work for some styles of play, but it sounds like it's not working for you. I'd find another game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads