D&D General How often do your adventurers have lengthy - months+ - preparations?

neogod22

Explorer
Actually i never thought the spell was the worst option. I actually thought it was the second best one. Like i said potions in this scenario are a bit better than scrolls but the reasom i chose to compare the rings to potions instead of spells was the comparability of a lot of potential problems. Not because i thought potions were a better option than spells.
The OP wants to keep the question general from a player's perspective I guess. The answer is no. While a permanent magic item may be superior to a spell in some instances, looking up the magic item creation rules: as an uncommon magic item it costs 500gp and 20 downtime days to create. So say he has a party of 6, that's 3000gp and 120 days. That's 4 month of the rest of the party figuring out what to do while the wizard spends 8hrs a day casting a spell. To give the party rings that has the same effect the wizard can give the entire party in 6 seconds and cost the party 0gp.

The OP wants to keep the question general from a player's perspective I guess. The answer is no. While a permanent magic item may be superior to a spell in some instances, looking up the magic item creation rules: as an uncommon magic item it costs 500gp and 20 downtime days to create. So say he has a party of 6, that's 3000gp and 120 days. That's 4 month of the rest of the party figuring out what to do while the wizard spends 8hrs a day casting a spell. To give the party rings that has the same effect the wizard can give the entire party in 6 seconds and cost the party 0gp.
Uhhh...since when is a ring of water breathing uncommon? I guess i missed something. K.

neogod22

Explorer
Uhhh...since when is a ring of water breathing uncommon? I guess i missed something. K.
There is no ring of water breathing. I was assuming on making one uncommon because, the ring of water walking is uncommon, and both are the same level spell. If you want to move it up to rare, it will cost 5000gp and 200 days to make 1.

Thats strange. Its almost as if they made making magical items prohibitively difficult. Well thats not cool. The time necessary alone makes spells better because the immediacy may be the difference in doing the quest and not.

neogod22

Explorer
There is no ring of water breathing. I was assuming on making one uncommon because, the ring of water walking is uncommon, and both are the same level spell. If you want to move it up to rare, it will cost 5000gp and 200 days to make 1.
So for anparty of 6, that's a little over 3 years of prepping and 30,000gp

neogod22

Explorer
Thats strange. Its almost as if they made making magical items prohibitively difficult. Well thats not cool. The time necessary alone makes spells better because the immediacy may be the difference in doing the quest and not.
Well that's kind of the point. They don't want high level casters becoming magic item factories. They even said, Legendary items can't be made (by mortals I assume).

Erm...this actually worsens a problem they were trying to solve. Didnt they want to make the benefits of magic less prohibitively fullcaster oriented? They can't spread the wealth as easy if they, well, literally cant spread it to their party. Sorta chains them by the neck the the caster's middle finger.

Oh well. Ive come away wiser now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases