D&D General How serious are your D&D games?

How serious are your D&D games?

• A complete farce (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lots of humour (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • Mostly serious, with moments of levity (Lord of the Rings)

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Deadly serious at all times (Conan the Barbarian)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Wallows in misery (Game of Thrones)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Consider I'm primarily playing Starfinder, but my game is closer to Traveller with some fantastical elements. There might be more levity, if the basic setting was less grimdark, which tends to engage more serious play. Clever quips are always present, but since the setting isn't wahoo, the game tends not to discintegrate into a farce of comedy. Just when laughs are peaking something dark always happens to bring back the seriousness of the situation.

Lorithen

Explorer
Echoing what @Lanefan posted in comment #10: "All of the above."

But I guess option 3 "Mostly serious, with moments of levity" would encompass this best, but still doesn't give the full picture and sounds much too mild and middle-of-the-road compared to what we do. Our campaign varies from from extreme Lovecraft-inspired horror and world-wide and personal catastrophes (misery) to high fantasy (serious) to hilarious comedy moments (humour) to even not-at-all-serious adventures that certainly ventured solidly into Monty Python territory (complete farce). Oh, and let's throw in soap-opera worthy sappy romances as well ...

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I do a straight plot as a base, but both the players and I generally have a bunch of humor in characterization and how things turn out.

My D&D games usually go for and often achieve a very Army of Darkness tone, action horror comedy at a PG 13 level. Not Evil Dead R gory horror, but PG 13 deadites who get decapitated by a jerk with a chainsaw. Give me some sugar baby and some innuendo, but nothing graphic.

In my current game two of the PCs are members of the Acme cult, so there are lots of reskinned spell effects to be anvils and dynamite. The robot (reskinned warforged) arfiticer has a techno alter self spell/tech effect to make himself look human and describes himself in disguise as a meat popsicle (5th element quote).

I have embraced failing forward for this current group.

aco175

Legend
1674685466988.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases