D&D 5E How should be the future Oriental Adventures.

lkj

Hero
This is getting a little sideways, since it is very difficult for me to understand how someone does not know, today, that this term isn't proper to use (at least, not in America).

If used as a pure descriptor of location (Oriental, Occidental), then it is acceptable. But not for people.

Here's a quick explanation from 2009:

In 2016, it was removed from use in any and all federal law. You can additionally find numerous examples of people with Asian ancestry taking offense to the term, both because it lumps numerous different people under one umbrella, because it "others" people, because it has a stigma of "exoticism," and because it has been used in unsavory ways in the past; in short, while it has more pleasant connotations than some other words, it still causes offense for multiple reasons.

Again, in order to avoid thread derailment and lockdown, I advise using google. :)

EDIT- to be clear, this isn't directed at the person I am responding to, but to the person just asking questions.

I don't disagree with you. But something I've learned over the years is that things that are obvious to me (because of the circles I run in) are often not obvious to others outside my circles. And I've certainly been guilty of not knowing things that, in retrospect, were pretty obvious. I'll also say that, on average, I see the discussion about 'western use of orientalism' a lot less than I see other topics. Again, probably just a result of my own bubble.

AD

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Realistically any book dealing with Asian cultures is going to have a problem because of China. If they make a fantasy culture that is obviously based on Korea or Japan and those cultures appear to be anything less than subservient to a Chinese culture there's a chance to book won't get printed if Chinese printers are used or if Hasbro is looking to sell the book in China. That has been an issue lately or several companies

That's why I think a new "OA" should reallybe deviod as much real history, culture, and mythology as possible. It would be simplier and easier to portray the feel and idea of the mass media versions of these elements and no actual truth.

If they make a ninja subclass, make it more Naruto and less historical.

I'm a westerner from North America. I love Asian Mythology and History. Having a better book that could allow me to play a character in that setting with better knowledge, respect and backstory would be amazing.

Getting rid of all the Asian Myth-style settings would be a disservice to pretty much everyone and does nothing to educate people outside of the various Asian cultures. It would suck if the Monsters Manual could only hold creatures from Euro-centric Mythology and it does nothing to make the game more inclusive.

Instead of burying the old books, release something awesome that everyone would be proud to own.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Who complained about OA for the 3rd Edition? Is anybody angry with Dreamworks about Kung-fu panda? or Asian authors/mangaka writing romance novels set in the British Victorian Age.

Why not to can adapt your favorite manga/manwha/manhua?

Don't you know the coprodution Nezha (a Chinese god) with transformers? Or Hasbro working with Toei for the new serie of Power Rangers.

Dude stop bringing up Kung-fu Panda. This is a D&D forum.

If people are complaining that Oriental Adventures is offensive, believe them. That doesn't mean they think all Asian influence in media is racist too.

darjr

I crit!
I’m of Japanese descent. I was thrilled in my youth when I heard about that book. Actually getting it was, well I don’t own a copy now nor will I ever. I don’t wan’t to see it go down the memory hole, however. What I want? Is an authentic treatment of Japanese myth done D&D style. Same for Chinese myth and Korean, and several others. Done with respect and including experts from those cultures.

lingual

Adventurer
Who complained about OA for the 3rd Edition? Is anybody angry with Dreamworks about Kung-fu panda? or Asian authors/mangaka writing romance novels set in the British Victorian Age.

Why not to can adapt your favorite manga/manwha/manhua?

Don't you know the coprodution Nezha (a Chinese god) with transformers? Or Hasbro working with Toei for the new serie of Power Rangers.

Oriental Adventures was 40 years ago. Times change. Some people are offended by the term when used to describe people. I am Asian and don't really care either way but can see their viewpoint. "Oriental" has been largely used to describe a "style". Asian-Americans who were born in the US and speak perfect English don't like being called "Oriental" because they are are American and not "Oriental" at all. It would best to just shy away from that term. If anything, it would be bad business for WOTC. The term has been used in a derogatory fashion in the past to describe people.

shesheyan

Explorer
I’m of Japanese descent. I was thrilled in my youth when I heard about that book. Actually getting it was, well I don’t own a copy now nor will I ever. I don’t wan’t to see it go down the memory hole, however. What I want? Is an authentic treatment of Japanese myth done D&D style. Same for Chinese myth and Korean, and several others. Done with respect and including experts from those cultures.

You might like this:

We don't worry about mixing elements from different places of Europe, for example monsters from Greek mythology or Irish Folklore. The famous fairy tales of Grimm brothers are from German traditions, but they are popular among English-speakers.

Confucius also said: “The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony” (the quote is thruthful. I read it myself).

I worry about fantasy factions being used as allegories of the neighbours countries, for example the evil emperor would be an erstaz of Napoleon Bonaparte. Even when the publisher tries to be polite the DM could reuse the concept to show a different point of view. And Capcom is lying, Chinese goverment denies the presence of zombies or mutants in the city of Lanshiang.

Wizards of the Coast has got links with the Chinese videogame developer Perfect World Enternaiment thanks to the videogame Newerwinter Online and the coming soon Magic: Legends. I am sure WotC knows the right people for a politically correct OA.

You shouldn't blame WotC to destroy Asian folklore with Asian videogames are doing that.

I think it may be good for both sides. WotC finds new players among the otaku community, and Western market can know Asian cultures.

* why not an Onmyodo magic?

tommybahama

Adventurer
I'm also of Japanese descent. My mother was a first generation post-war immigrant and she used the term Oriental exclusively for the region. I don't think I ever heard her use the term "Asian" ever.

"Eastern Adventures" would be a good compromise for me since Kara-Tur is to the east of Faerun and still evokes some of the mystery they tried to capture with Oriental Adventures.

On the other hand, 90% of Native Americans respond in polls that they don't have a problem with Indian sports names but a vocal 10% are always trying to force their views onto the rest of society. I assume the same thing is going on here with the word Oriental.

Remove ads