D&D General How time do you put into working on settings you never run?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I do quite a bit, because usually it is hand-in-hand with editing the ruleset to try and "fix" things that I think could work better. Like when I decided to try and create custom spell lists for each individual deity based on their portfolio, there was a setting / location that I worked on for that to be used in. I've also done the same when designing rules for the Battlemaster maneuvers to be a universal mechanic for all the martial classes, there was setting material created in and amongst it.

But usually what ends up happening is that the more I work on these rulesets, the more I actually delve in to thinking about what their function would be and how they would get used... and I usually come to the realization that while * I * would embrace the rulesets and work them to their fullest... the people I play with just don't have the same noodly need for changes and fixes like I do, and thus they would not engage with these rules and settings any differently than just using the standard rules. Despite any changes, the players would make the game feel the same and thus everything I did would end up being ultimately a waste of time. At that point I usually just default back to using the standard rules because it is easier and thus the setting material gets shelved along with the houserules.

But at least spending all that time futzing and creating helps cleanse my brain of it, which allows me to just use the game as-is and let go of any niggling annoyances I might otherwise get stuck on.

Richards

Legend
"much"

(That isn't the answer to the question, merely the word that missing from the thread's title. I present it to MNblockhead at no charge.) :)

To actually answer the question, I don't work on a setting unless and until I know I'll be running it. I have a bunch of unused ideas running around in my head but I generally don't start exploring them until I'm actively working on a campaign that I'm running my players through. And as one campaign comes close to finishing, I'll start reining in some of those wandering ideas and start corralling them into the next campaign, but only because I already know I'll be running that one next. I prefer focusing my creative energy on campaigns/settings I'm running, because I don't have the spare time to put much energy into campaigns/settings I might get to run one day.

Johnathan

In another thread, the question was asked how many PCs have you created that you have never played and that go me to thinking about all the time I put into world building for settings I may never run.

Beyond prepping areas for my current game where the players may never get to, I also work on a homebrew setting that I have not run a game in for about four years or so. Then there are all the settings and games I've bought from kickstarter and other places that I enjoy reading through and thinking about but may never play.

This is a common enough trope in TTRPG circles that I know this is a fairly common situation DMs find themselves in.

How much time do you spend on creating or reading settings and adventures you'll never run? How much of that is material that you feel bad about not being able to run versus just lonely fun that you are happy spending time on?
Is a lot an actual number?! ;)

Cruentus

Adventurer
I spend significantly more time researching, reading, writing background and campaign materials than ever make it into the game - I tend to prefer sandbox, so I have to have a lot of material ready in case the party goes to A or X, or no, nevermind, let's go to G.

I have so many books, adventures, and resources, that I'm in the process of figuring out how to document where things are that I liked. I'll read something, get inspired, read something else, forget about the first, then a month later want to add that first thing in, and can't remember where I saw it. I also tend to draw from any and every edition, every and any world or sourcebook, and various dragon and dungeon mags.

I also started a dump google doc for "campaign ideas" and its probably 50 pages long of cut and paste ideas or things to consider tweaking. LoL

Bottom line, I spend more time than is healthy or necessary when I'm campaign building/running. Especially compared to the 3-4 hours every other week we actually play.

I also started a dump google doc for "campaign ideas" and its probably 50 pages long of cut and paste ideas or things to consider tweaking. LoL

Like fully fledged ideas?

I've got wn RPG idea file that I thought was long, but it's probably not 50 pages, and most of it is terse nonsense like "nerdy coin collector dragon" "an onion ring that occasionally spawns ten more onion rings" and "a monster-truck horse with ridiculous giant legs"

Cruentus

Adventurer
Like fully fledged ideas?

I've got wn RPG idea file that I thought was long, but it's probably not 50 pages, and most of it is terse nonsense like "nerdy coin collector dragon" "an onion ring that occasionally spawns ten more onion rings" and "a monster-truck horse with ridiculous giant legs"
I wish I could come up with terse ideas that then blossom. I don’t think I’m wired that way. It’s more like snippets of alt magic systems, or strange healing systems, or snips of charts, charts of gems, runes, names, ideas for classes, deities/pantheons, new feat ideas, etc. A whole hodgepodge that sounded good when I read it and dumped it, but when I go back? Hmm. If I can even remember what’s in the bowels of it. 😁

I wish I could come up with terse ideas that then blossom. I don’t think I’m wired that way. It’s more like snippets of alt magic systems, or strange healing systems, or snips of charts, charts of gems, runes, names, ideas for classes, deities/pantheons, new feat ideas, etc. A whole hodgepodge that sounded good when I read it and dumped it, but when I go back? Hmm. If I can even remember what’s in the bowels of it. 😁
Stephen King has a rule for writing, which I think translates well for DMing. If you have an idea, do not write it down. Think about it. And if it nags you for a few nights, think about it some more. Then if it sticks around, then write it down and flesh it out. It may not work for everyone, but for me, if I come up with a conflict, a premise, an item, etc. I tend to follow the rule. And it definitely flushes a lot of the crap down the toilet. ;)

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Probably a couple hundred hours at least of work on my homebrew setting that I am hoping to be able to start in a few months (barring anything crazy happening). Currently finishing up tweaking my list of races that are going to be available for my players in fact and compiling a large master doc of spells and magic items. Honestly though I love worldbuilding so even if I never get to use this setting it is still fun to work on it.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Stephen King has a rule for writing, which I think translates well for DMing. If you have an idea, do not write it down. Think about it. And if it nags you for a few nights, think about it some more. Then if it sticks around, then write it down and flesh it out. It may not work for everyone, but for me, if I come up with a conflict, a premise, an item, etc. I tend to follow the rule. And it definitely flushes a lot of the crap down the toilet. ;)
That's really excellent advice.
I wish I'd heard it 35 years ago. :oops:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think King’s advice works fine…if you’re a writer -or any other creative type- at a pro or semi-pro level. I write things down, sketch or record things so they don’t distract me from other things. It’s easier for me to concentrate on my research if I’m not also having recurring thoughts about modeling MtG mana based magic and slivers in HERO. Or worse, trying to REMEMBER what I thought about them 2 days previously, but can’t quite recall.

Remove ads