D&D 5E How to De-Magic 5e

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
1572459442463.png

@Tony Vargas

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That’s odd, we had lots of characters reach name level in different campaigns (including Demi-human multiclass).
The other elements were obligatory to his statement (And it was all about having a single paladin or ranger character making it all the way through the requirements to be encountering the spells - and finding a use for them)

Stalker0

Legend
So I think the simplest solution here is to utilize multi-classing rules.

A player may only take 1 level of a spellcasting class for every 2 levels of a non-spellcasting class they have.

So you get Rogue 2 / Wizard 1. Fighter 12 / Wizard 6 etc. This caps the highest level magics at 3rd level spells, and significantly decreases the level and availability of magic. If you wanted to go less hardcore, you could do it 1 for 1. That gives you a Fighter 10 / Wizard 10 as your top....so 5th level spells as the capstone.

So from there, you just need to de-magic the ranger/paladin....and drop variants like the Four Elements monk, and you are good to go.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So I think the simplest solution here is to utilize multi-classing rules.
A player may only take 1 level of a spellcasting class for every 2 levels of a non-spellcasting class they have.
So from there, you just need to de-magic the ranger/paladin....and drop variants like the Four Elements monk, and you are good to go.
In 3e, I considered making all spellcasting classes PrCs, with the intent of de-magicking the game a bit for a specific campaign idea. Set Spellcraft and an appropriate knowledge or two as a prerequisites, since Spellcraft was cross-class for all non-casters (except Expert, who could have any skills), players who really wanted to be casters would have had to have started as Experts ploughing ranks into comparatively 'useless' skills, or pick up casting even later.

One of 3 or 4 campaign ideas I never got the chance to run while 3.x was the current ed.

Y'know, if D&D had had skills from the start, detecting magic or identifying an item might've just been arcana checks - one % with lotsa modifiers, of course, and the other roll 1 or 2 on a d6.
;)

Not sure if this was mentioned, but: that's exactly how 4e handled detecting magic: you made an arcana check. If you were proficient, you could detect magic that way. (Better roll, more info.)

Remove ads