D&D 5E How to "fix" (or at least help) the fighter/wizard dynamic. (+)

How to best help Fighters get shenanigans to bridge the gap to Wizards?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Despite the often rapid advance of PCs leveling in 5E, my assumption was always that the wizard is studying, etc. during any free time (not necessarily "downtime") they have, so when they level the "figure out" the spells they have been working on--which are the two they choose.

G

Guest 7034872

Despite the often rapid advance of PCs leveling in 5E, my assumption was always that the wizard is studying, etc. during any free time (not necessarily "downtime") they have, so when they level the "figure out" the spells they have been working on--which are the two they choose.
I'd say that's as good an explanation as any I've heard. Wizards are scholars, after all, and as a lifelong IRL scholar, I can attest that we constantly bring our minds back to our various projects and privately muse over them while everyone else is off playing Scrabble or what-have-you. Shoot, we'll do it right while we ourselves are in a Scrabble game.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'd say that's as good an explanation as any I've heard. Wizards are scholars, after all, and as a lifelong IRL scholar, I can attest that we constantly bring our minds back to our various projects and privately muse over them while everyone else is off playing Scrabble or what-have-you. Shoot, we'll do it right while we ourselves are in a Scrabble game.
Right there with ya. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In my own homebrew heartbreaker, wizards only really understand their specialty. When they level up, they learn a new spell of their favored school and must find all the spells of other schools.

It is based on the idea that the master you apprentice under has the same specialty and you only are taught one school in depth.Pssibly taught you the spells but you are too low level to use them.

Generalists and warmages have it bad as they only can only discover or invent universal spells.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They walked around inside a giant space-slugs mouth, which apparently was sufficient enough heat and atmosphere to walk around in with just a breath filter. The only character who ever was out in the cold vacuum of space and lived was Leia in Episode 8, and she used her super-special-magical-birthright powers to do that.
I always thought that the space-slug thing lived inside the asteroid. But it's been ages since I've seen any of the movies. And I think I kinda zoned out on episode 8. Still haven't seen ep 9.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
However, it's not my preferred style. I like to create my character and play my character.
Fair enough.
The DM has so much power in a typical game, but as I see it the PC is the one refuge of the player. Hence why I'm more in favor of giving players expanded control over their character concept (ie, by making magic items inherent to the fighter class at higher levels), rather than removing control (by having the DM decide their spells for them).
Thing is, the ability to choose one's spells is something that makes Wizards - while more customizable, sure - undeniably more powerful than they would otherwise be; as the player can cherry-pick the best spells and-or those that specifically fill a weakness otherwise present in the party. And as the issue here is that Wizards are (or are perceived to be) overall too powerful, this seems a simple way to rein them in a bit.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's one way to do it. I take the other tack: they've got a full plate already dealing with whatever they're doing in the field and don't have much time or opportunity to get any decent studying in; and so their only real chance to learn new spells is during downtime and-or at training.

Then again, I use training rules for level-up. Without them, many of the improvements on level-up make very little in-game sense.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Fair enough.

Thing is, the ability to choose one's spells is something that makes Wizards - while more customizable, sure - undeniably more powerful than they would otherwise be; as the player can cherry-pick the best spells and-or those that specifically fill a weakness otherwise present in the party. And as the issue here is that Wizards are (or are perceived to be) overall too powerful, this seems a simple way to rein them in a bit.
If seeking parity, you don't necessarily need to rein the wizard in. It's just as easy to elevate the fighter.

IMO, it's as simple as allowing the high level fighter pick their own magic items. There are a various ways to flavor this:

1. The fighter gains such powers inherently.
1a. Exposure to the blood of all the monsters slain imbues them.
1b. The fighter's growing legend imbues them with power.
1c. The fighter unlocks mystical techniques that are far beyond the scope of lesser fighters.
2. The fighter gets to pick their own magic items.
2a. The fighter's legendary status could imbue the items with power.
2b. The fighter might attract an artificer follower who is eager to craft bespoke items for the fighter.
2c. The fighter crafts/recovers items in their downtime, much like the wizard researches spells for when they level up.

lingual

Adventurer
Lower wizard hit dice back to 1d4.
Reintroduce casting interruptions (this would be a pain in the ass and mess up turn based combat) - but some spells should have to be "channelled", etc.
Consider them "restrained" or "stunned" while concentrating.
Can't cast spells while concentrating.
Exhaustion level each time they cast a concentration or ritual spell.
I personally feel they are fine as long as you keep long rests in check.

lingual

Adventurer
As for the social pillars of the game? As a DM, use common sense and don't be a slave to mechanics. A high level Champion Fighter would be a rockstar hero of the the lands. Who cares what the Charisma score is or whether or not the Bard has expertise in Persuasion? Or the Wizard has Charm Person? I see too many DMs call for skill checks sometimes when it just doesn't make sense... High level "mundane" types would naturally be the heroes that the common folk identify with the most and trust the most as natural leaders.

Remove ads