D&D 5E How to "fix" (or at least help) the fighter/wizard dynamic. (+)

How to best help Fighters get shenanigans to bridge the gap to Wizards?

In all the high-level games I'm in (and I'm in 2 right now with one that ended a couple months ago) - I just don't see the issue. In combat, fighters do a lot more damage and that's the only way to drop bosses. Even disintegrate doesn't one-shot anything.

Out-of-combat, no one's limited to class features, so class makes only a small difference. Fighters have allies and magic items and so on to do what they want to do.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Try to mitigate the disparity through setting?

The populace distrusts magic; all social interaction are given a higher difficulty rating for those who are known to wield magic. Yes, even bards.

Limit the amount of caster classes available; increase the number of Martial classes available.

Trinkets that will only attuned to non-casters. These trinkets give spell like abilities X amount per day

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
In all the high-level games I'm in (and I'm in 2 right now with one that ended a couple months ago) - I just don't see the issue. In combat, fighters do a lot more damage and that's the only way to drop bosses. Even disintegrate doesn't one-shot anything.

Out-of-combat, no one's limited to class features, so class makes only a small difference. Fighters have allies and magic items and so on to do what they want to do.
It seems like the problem rears its head when the fighter turns on the wizard.

Laurefindel

Legend
An other things I'd like to experiment with at one time; currently, spells all recharge at the same rate regardless of their power or level. Many spells wouldn't be as problematic if they were one-offs (or you know, had some kind of time-dependent resource for them), part of the problem would fix itself.

Vaalingrade

Legend

The populace distrusts magic; all social interaction are given a higher difficulty rating for those who are known to wield magic. Yes, even bards.

Limit the amount of caster classes available; increase the number of Martial classes available.

Trinkets that will only attuned to non-casters. These trinkets give spell like abilities X amount per day
Pretty much any setting with heavy discrimination against PCs is begging to have whole swathes of the population rightly slaughtered by PCs that aren't going to take that.

Remathilis

Legend

Fine if your setting is Dark Sun, terrible if your setting is Eberron.

Tiers of play definitely. It allows earlier levels to remain more grounded whilst recognising that high level characters are mythic heroes that don't need to be bound by the limits of the real world. It also perfectly fits to one of the most recognisable aspects of D&D, the journey from zero to hero. And it doesn't need any weird parallel and optional mechanics, nor a massive class bloat, both of which would just confuse new players.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Pretty much any setting with heavy discrimination against PCs is begging to have whole swathes of the population rightly slaughtered by PCs that aren't going to take that.
Fair enough.There are some players in my past that would do exactly that. This approach assumes that the players buy-in to the idea.

Remove ads