• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to gain Combat Advantage

Rechan

Adventurer
ender_wiggin said:
Shurikens are probably cheaper and you can hold more of them.
That doesn't seem like a balancing factor to me. Especially when we managed to loot like, quite a few daggers from the first encounter in KotS.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Well, my main intention was to get hint son how to actively gain Combat Advantage for the rogue without the enemy running or stuff like that. :)

I was especially looking for teamwork benefits, like the fighter's Spinning Sweep to knock the target prone.

The kobold slingers have such a thing with their glue pots (sp ?), immobilizing the target, the (pregen) wizard is missing something like it.

Keeping on collecting...

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden

NMcCoy

Explorer
Deft Strike works marvelously for the enemies that try to shift out of a flank. Shift away if they're in melee range, then Deft Strike back into flanking position.

The warlord has many abilities that can move around allies. For instance, in my last session, the PC warlord kept moving the fighter into flanking position. We didn't have a rogue, but if we did a warlord might be their best friend.

Vysirez

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
The warlord has many abilities that can move around allies. For instance, in my last session, the PC warlord kept moving the fighter into flanking position. We didn't have a rogue, but if we did a warlord might be their best friend.

I want to 2nd that. Warlord plus rogue is a nice combo. Both Rogue and Warlord can move people around. Once a flank is setup, Warlord can use Viper's Strike to keep things from getting out of the flank without taking an attack.

loseth

First Post
Choose Perception as a trained skill and buy your rogue a decent WIS modifier. That way, you can sneak up on people, noticing them before they notice you, and get a surprise round. Assuming that your initiative is high (which it should be as a rogue), then you should usually be able to strike twice with combat advantage before most of your opponents get a turn.

Once you hit second level, tumble should be very useful for getting behind the enemy line to flank for a round or two, then tumbling back behind your line to make ranged attacks when your hit points start to run out. Hopefully, by that time the scene will be confused enough that you'll be able to manoeuvre for ranged combat advantage.

Jack Fremont

First Post
Played some of KotS as the warlord. His wolf pack tactics and leaf on the wind abilities were great for getting the rogue into flanking position and the fighter into cleave position. The warlord doesn't hit very hard, but he makes sure everybody is in the right place to do their best, which is pretty badass in my opinion. Favorite class by far.

Remove ads