• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How to import "race" flavor into D&D 2024 inclusively

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
@tessarji

Wow. These are the same eight abilities.

D&D Eight Abilities ≈ SAGA Eight Abilities

PHYSICAL

• Strength ≈ Strength
• Constitution ≈ Endurance

• Dexterity ≈ Dexterity
• Athletics ≈ Agility

MENTAL

• Intelligence ≈ Reason
• Perception ≈ Perception

• Charisma ≈ Presence
• Wisdom ≈ Spirit

By far, these eight abilities work better for the D&D game than the six.

(The only trick is organizing the Monster Manual statblock format to accommodate the eight abilities.)

Horwath

Legend
Regarding the ability score improvements. I am happy to cap the scores by tier.

Tier: Maximum Score
0 (Background): 12
1−4: 14
5−8: 16
9−12: 18
13−16: 20
17−20: 22
21−24 (Epic): 24

Other players might find this difficult because of the lower scores for much of the campaign, and the eshewing of the 4d6 random method.

If scores cap at 14 during the lowest tier (1−4), it is probably ok to automatically gain two +2 score improvements at each new tier. Then the feats that capstone each tier are actually just for feats.

My main concern is. I want reallife-possible scores during the low tiers, but "epic" scores during the epic tiers. There is a continuum between these.

I am getting into how the high tiers (13−16, 17−20) represent the superhero genre.
sure, but then separate resource pools of feats and ASI's.

have starting array then: 14,14,12,12,10,10
add +2 to two scores at levels 5,9,13,17 and 21

Horwath

Legend
@tessarji

Wow. These are the same eight abilities.

D&D Eight Abilities ≈ SAGA Eight Abilities

PHYSICAL

• Strength ≈ Strength
• Constitution ≈ Endurance

• Dexterity ≈ Dexterity
• Athletics ≈ Agility

MENTAL

• Intelligence ≈ Reason
• Perception ≈ Perception

• Charisma ≈ Presence
• Wisdom ≈ Spirit

By far, these eight abilities work better for the D&D game than the six.

(The only trick is organizing the Monster Manual statblock format to accommodate the eight abilities.)
or just reduce them to 4:

Strength:
melee&thrown attack and damage, carry capacity, armor limit, bonus HPs, current STR and CON saves. Athletics skills

Dexterity:
ranged&finesse attack and damage, AC bonus, current DEX saves, Acrobatics, Stealth and Thievery skills

Willpower:
Spell attack and DCs, all current INT, WIS and CHA saves

Cunning:
Bonus skills, bonus languages or tools, initiative bonus, current all INT, WIS and CHA skills.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
or just reduce them to 4:

Strength:
melee&thrown attack and damage, carry capacity, armor limit, bonus HPs, current STR and CON saves. Athletics skills

Dexterity:
ranged&finesse attack and damage, AC bonus, current DEX saves, Acrobatics, Stealth and Thievery skills

Willpower:
Spell attack and DCs, all current INT, WIS and CHA saves

Cunning:
Bonus skills, bonus languages or tools, initiative bonus, current all INT, WIS and CHA skills.
The eight abilities organize into four pairs, so one can simplify them into four abilities:
• Tough (Strength-Constitution)
• Agile (Dexterity-Athletics)
• Social (Charisma-Wisdom)
• Knowing (Intelligence-Perception)

(Acronym "TASK")

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
These four ability pairs correspond to the tropes of the "Five Guy Band".

Tough = Big Guy (drums)
Agile = Rebel Guy (guitar)
Social = Heart Guy (accompaniment)
Knowing = Smart Guy (synthesizer)

Wellrounded Mix = Jock Guy (lead singer)

CapnZapp

Legend
I would assume it is easy, trivial even, to return stat bonuses to species if you like the way some species are predisposed towards certain classes; if you like your choice of race to be a significant component of your char-build.

Horwath

Legend
I would assume it is easy, trivial even, to return stat bonuses to species if you like the way some species are predisposed towards certain classes; if you like your choice of race to be a significant component of your char-build.
only if you add additional +2/+1 bonuses to classes. and the total cannot be higher than +2.

Horwath

Legend
If you like the bonuses to come from either species or class, directly contradicting what I just said, sure, go for it.
not either. Both.

I.E.
half orc gets +2 STR and +1 CON

then player want's to play wizard, class gives is +2/+1 to place to Int, Wis or Con in any way.
the player puts +2 to Int and +1 to Con, getting total of +2 STR, +2 CON and +2 INT

this way you can keep racial stereotype that half orc are on average always stronger than humans and have +2 to every class key ability.

assuming some optimal point buy:

STR: 8+2
DEX: 14
CON: 14+2
INT: 15+2
WIS: 10
CHA: 10

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads