How to make an encounter with falling great distances interesting and dangerous, but not deadly?

Quickleaf

Legend
I’ll second the call to just have them take levels of exhaustion if/when they fail a particular challenge as they attempt the ascent. It’s a gradually increasing threat rather than sudden like falling damage, but it nicely communicates the suffering the PCs go through as they climb.

I agree that narratively that makes sense. However, I need to balance that with the game design. Just one level of exhaustion imposes disadvantage on ability checks - which could be hugely crippling in this check-intensive encounter. That’s why I didn’t attach “suffer exhaustion” to everything lightly. I made “suffer exhaustion” one option - other options involve damage, dropping stuff, etc. IOW they need to opt into exhaustion as a balance for other bad stuff. Otherwise it’s be too punitive form a game mechanics view. Of course, players hate exhaustion so for a player to opt into it the alternatives need suitable teeth.

Honestly, I’m doing all this so fast and loose. For this in-depth design work I’d usually reflect, crunch numbers, play it through my head, and reiterate design. Any feedback is helpful.

[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]

If you’re interested in treating it like a Basic Dungeon Crawl with Fail Forward, I suggest the following:

1) Scale the Exploration Turn/Movement Rate to your liking for the climb. I would have 3 rates though (Fast + Disadvantage on a Check/save to deal with an obstacle, Medium with no penalty, Slow and Advantage). This will create an interesting decision-point for the players (that hooks into the Wandering Monster/RandomEncpunter clock check at 2/3/4, your discretion, Turn intervals).

2) Map and Key it like you would a dungeon. I know they have a route planned, but they can have small, subtle decision-points in the course of it that are similar to branching corridors. Instead of the knee-deep path that smells musty and ancient vs the well-worn path that is dry but from which ominous sounds are eminating, you have a section that is completely collapsed and must be free climbed via a webbed rig that spans it which was thoughtfully put together vs a stable, yet precarious rope bridge that turns a blind corner...from which an ominous noise can be heard...

Maybe both passages are fine...but maybe the WM/RE dice come up 17-20 or the fail (Forward) on an action resolution attempt and they have to deal with something appropriate for either branch.

I would say something like 10-12 meaningful Decision-Points. That’s a lot of opportunity for interesting stuff to happen.

Look to Dungeon World to help you with your complications:

* Use a monster, danger, or location move

- They stumble upon a Peryton Nest filled with hungry hatchlings...mom and dad are returning on what looks to be a failed hunt...

* Reveal an unwelcome truth

- The monks may not be who we thought they were...

* Show signs of an approaching threat

- The weather turns abruptly...a chill, biting updraft, a hailstone...then a bigger one smashes into the climbing infrastructure ahead...splintering it.

* Deal damage

- Save vs Exhaustion or some environmental effect; maybe burning fumes ventilate from the face...

* Use up their resources

- (this one is difficult because it depends on equipment loadout being a pressure point) Climbing gear, backpack gets snagged and a potion falls to the bottom, shattering in a million pieces...quiver upends and you’re down to just a few arrows...wizardly spell components...coin purse...

* Turn their move back on them

- What appeared to be a thoughtful web of lines is an easily tangled mess...they’re stuck and have to spend turns getting unstuck (time being a currency here because of the WM/RE clock ticking).

* Separate them

- Bob the Fighter falls, but catches himself on the face x number of moves (in feet) below. The infrastructure back to the group has collapsed, so he needs to figure out another way up.

* Offer an opportunity, with or without cost
* Put someone in a spot
* Tell them the requirements or consequences and ask

Etc etc.

Quickleaf

Legend
Just finished the poster-map we're using for the session. Printed 18x32 and mounted on foam core. Walkways from reused cardboard, adhered with blue sticky stuff. Miniatures are mockups to ensure it can hold their weight.

J3CqXcD.jpg

Here's the original text from Tomb of Annihilation for the curious. I've also updated the OP with this. This is what I'm working from & trying to change.

[SBLOCK=Original Text from Tomb of Annihilation (and my commentary in red)]To reach the monastery from the ground, a character must make three ability checks. Each time a check fails, the character must choose between either taking 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage from a fall or gaining 1 level of exhaustion (which means disadvantage on further ability checks). For my party, this would be a non-choice – take the damage, get healed by druid, enjoy the long rest at top, no way would anyone choose exhaustion. The three ability checks are as follows:
• A DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check to climb around gaps in the walkway.
• A DC 15 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to cross wide gaps in the wooden walkways by jumping along oddly spaced support beams.
• A DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check to spot rotted planking that won't support weight.

The climb takes 1 hour, plus 10 minutes for every failed ability check. Unless characters make the climb invisibly, at night, or during a rainstorm, it's impossible to reach the monastery without the aarakocra knowing they're coming.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]

If you’re interested in treating it like a Basic Dungeon Crawl with Fail Forward, I suggest the following:

1) Scale the Exploration Turn/Movement Rate to your liking for the climb. I would have 3 rates though (Fast + Disadvantage on a Check/save to deal with an obstacle, Medium with no penalty, Slow and Advantage). This will create an interesting decision-point for the players (that hooks into the Wandering Monster/RandomEncpunter clock check at 2/3/4, your discretion, Turn intervals).

2) Map and Key it like you would a dungeon. I know they have a route planned, but they can have small, subtle decision-points in the course of it that are similar to branching corridors. Instead of the knee-deep path that smells musty and ancient vs the well-worn path that is dry but from which ominous sounds are eminating, you have a section that is completely collapsed and must be free climbed via a webbed rig that spans it which was thoughtfully put together vs a stable, yet precarious rope bridge that turns a blind corner...from which an ominous noise can be heard...

Maybe both passages are fine...but maybe the WM/RE dice come up 17-20 or the fail (Forward) on an action resolution attempt and they have to deal with something appropriate for either branch.

I would say something like 10-12 meaningful Decision-Points. That’s a lot of opportunity for interesting stuff to happen.

Look to Dungeon World to help you with your complications:

* Use a monster, danger, or location move

- They stumble upon a Peryton Nest filled with hungry hatchlings...mom and dad are returning on what looks to be a failed hunt...

* Reveal an unwelcome truth

- The monks may not be who we thought they were...

* Show signs of an approaching threat

- The weather turns abruptly...a chill, biting updraft, a hailstone...then a bigger one smashes into the climbing infrastructure ahead...splintering it.

* Deal damage

- Save vs Exhaustion or some environmental effect; maybe burning fumes ventilate from the face...

* Use up their resources

- (this one is difficult because it depends on equipment loadout being a pressure point) Climbing gear, backpack gets snagged and a potion falls to the bottom, shattering in a million pieces...quiver upends and you’re down to just a few arrows...wizardly spell components...coin purse...

* Turn their move back on them

- What appeared to be a thoughtful web of lines is an easily tangled mess...they’re stuck and have to spend turns getting unstuck (time being a currency here because of the WM/RE clock ticking).

* Separate them

- Bob the Fighter falls, but catches himself on the face x number of moves (in feet) below. The infrastructure back to the group has collapsed, so he needs to figure out another way up.

* Offer an opportunity, with or without cost
* Put someone in a spot
* Tell them the requirements or consequences and ask

Etc etc.

Really appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts up, Manbearcat. Your insights have always been valuable from back in the 4e forum days! :)

Using Dungeon World as inspiration is a great idea. May end up jotting those "moves" down and ad libbing a lot of this.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Are you looking for more players? :)

Hah! Thanks, man. I'm out in Hawaii, so might be a long plane ride. ;)

Here are the 5 pre-defined challenges I've written down so far... for #2 Wind Tunnel, I'm thinking of making it a choice between two routes & incorporating that suggestion about the Elemental Plane of Air somehow.

1. Triple Gap (500’)
Switchbacking stone ramps take you up 450 dizzying feet above the jungle floor. However, where the wooden walkway should begin there is a 20-foot gap, soon followed by a 15-foot gap, and a 30-foot gap. Running long jump = Strength score in feet. Small moss-covered handholds along the cliff can be climbed across with a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check; Small PCs have advantage, PC with climb speed auto-succeed, jump spell bypasses.
Fall Reactions: Drop prone at last minute, Land on a lower walkway, Grab a vine.

2. Wind Tunnel (520’)
Fissures through the rock wend through 2 Ruined Cliff Structures which PCs may explore. Looking around finds 5 old pitons and shreds of torn hempen rope left in the rock by past adventurers. Wind frequently howls through this 6-foot-wide tunnel-like fissure. A DC 15 Intelligence (Nature) or Wisdom (Survival) check can predict winds and pass through safely, otherwise a PC must make a DC 12 Strength save to avoid being swept and bounced off walls for 3d8 bludgeoning damage, any ammunition being scattered from non-magical quivers/containers and acting as random projectiles (+4 attack). Wind magic can channel winds to allow safe passage for a group (if concentration), or one PC (if instantaneous). Walking around wind tunnel is possible, but there’s a segment of walkway that’s quiet…too quiet... ##
Fall Reactions: Fall into ruined cliff structure, Land on a lower walkway, Grab a vine.

3. Exposed Beams & Rotted Planking (530’)
The walkway is offset from the cliffside by a good 15 feet, and the cliff is starting to overhang the darkened rickety wooden walkway. Intermittent holes where the walkway has worn away reveal oddly spaced supporting beams. A character can carefully survey the walkway for signs of rot – DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) – to safely cross. Alternately, a character can balance on the support beams – DC 15 Dexterity (Acrobatics) – to safely jump across. Climbing speed doesn’t help here
Fall Reactions: Fall into ruined cliff structure, Grab an aarakocra, Grab a vine, Land on a lower walkway, Scream for help.
Increased Risk: Increase distance of any falls by +30 feet (+3d6).

4. Dwellings (540’)
Curious aarakocra young flutter around you, cloaked aarakocra whispering in Auran watch you skeptically from the archways of cliffside dwellings, and colorfully plumaged aarakocra offering the fastest climbers among you orchid-and-nut garlands while encouraging you upward. All the attention requires a DC 10 Constitution save to maintain concentration on any spells. Each character must make a DC 10 Charisma (variable skills apply) check (clever RP or spell use may auto-succeed) or spend an extra 5 minutes extricating themselves from the curious aarakocra.

5. Macaw Cleft (550’)
A fissure has caused water to wear through the walkway, creating a 10-foot gap. Normally, it wouldn’t be a hard jump across, but a steady flock of colorful macaws swarm around the gap following wind currents and insects. Creative solutions! Leaping through requires a DC 12 Wisdom save or character becomes disoriented and falls.
Fall Reactions: Fall into a ruined cliff structure, Grab an aarakocra, Land on a lower walkway, Scream for help.
Increased Risk: Increase distance of any falls by +50 feet (+5d6).

Just finished the poster-map we're using for the session. Printed 18x32 and mounted on foam core. Walkways from reused cardboard, adhered with blue sticky stuff. Miniatures are mockups to ensure it can hold their weight.

J3CqXcD.jpg

Here's the original text from Tomb of Annihilation for the curious. I've also updated the OP with this. This is what I'm working from & trying to change.

[SBLOCK=Original Text from Tomb of Annihilation (and my commentary in red)]To reach the monastery from the ground, a character must make three ability checks. Each time a check fails, the character must choose between either taking 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage from a fall or gaining 1 level of exhaustion (which means disadvantage on further ability checks). For my party, this would be a non-choice – take the damage, get healed by druid, enjoy the long rest at top, no way would anyone choose exhaustion. The three ability checks are as follows:
• A DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check to climb around gaps in the walkway.
• A DC 15 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to cross wide gaps in the wooden walkways by jumping along oddly spaced support beams.
• A DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check to spot rotted planking that won't support weight.

The climb takes 1 hour, plus 10 minutes for every failed ability check. Unless characters make the climb invisibly, at night, or during a rainstorm, it's impossible to reach the monastery without the aarakocra knowing they're coming.[/SBLOCK]

Wow! What a prop! So hawaii did you say? Let me pack my bags...

Let us know how the players like it. It's a great idea and one I'm seriously going to steal.

Quickleaf

Legend
Wow! What a prop! So hawaii did you say? Let me pack my bags...

Let us know how the players like it. It's a great idea and one I'm seriously going to steal.

Yeah, I'll post here with how it goes after Sunday's game.

Really appreciate everyone's help figuring this out last minute!

Stormdale

Explorer
Sorry, but to me this seems a non event/encounter.

Why don't your PCs simply use one or more of the following:
spider climb
levitate
fly

Spider climb pc uses pitons if necessary to put guide ropes along walkways and others clip themselves on and move up the path- that's what my guys would do. Or they'd levitate, fly, druid change form to something useful eg a lizard, etc. They'd describe how they are overcoming the challenges to mitigate the risk (all have passed their health and safety in the workplace training before being let loose on an unsuspecting world so wear all appropriate PPE including hardhats and high vis vests at all times when outdoors, just in case the workplace H&S inspector wanders past) and we'd move on.

If the pcs are 5th level of above this is a non encounter and the problem presented should be easily solved by resourceful players probably without the need to resort to dice rolls or skill challenges.

I appreciate what you are trying do do but I never expect the pcs to do what you want/expect.

My players would be using spells to avoid/negate this, cool though it is, and we'd move on.

Stormdale

Quickleaf

Legend
Sorry, but to me this seems a non event/encounter.

Why don't your PCs simply use one or more of the following:
spider climb
levitate
fly

Spider climb pc uses pitons if necessary to put guide ropes along walkways and others clip themselves on and move up the path- that's what my guys would do. Or they'd levitate, fly, druid change form to something useful eg a lizard, etc. They'd describe how they are overcoming the challenges to mitigate the risk (all have passed their health and safety in the workplace training before being let loose on an unsuspecting world so wear all appropriate PPE including hardhats and high vis vests at all times when outdoors, just in case the workplace H&S inspector wanders past).

If the pcs are 5th level of above this is a non encounter and the problem presented should be easily solved by resourceful players probably without the need to resort to dice rolls or skill challenges.

I appreciate what you are trying do do but I never expect the pcs to do what you want/expect.

My players would be using spells to avoid/negate this, cool though it is, and we'd move on.

Stormdale

No spider climb because there's neither sorcerer nor wizard in the party, and the rogue multi-classed into warlock isn't sufficient level to cast 2nd level warlock spells.

No levitate and no fly because, again, no sorcerer or wizard.

Last edited:

Remove ads