• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to play a Character who speaks their mind

afata5

First Post
Hey all,

I'm about to play a Beguiler (in D&D 3.5) and for flavor, i'm pretty much going to have my character speak the things he thinks aswell. Kinda like " You should pass me that mace, it belongs to a guy i know" and then say" hmmm...i wonder if he will fall for that...quick say something that will help " "I am sure it belongs to the guy i know" .

I'll have a good bluff check and such, so it should be interesting. However, in a game play, how can it be viably done without it wrecking the whole thing and me getting killed :)

Hope i'm clear enough...

Thanks,

Al

A character with no internal monologue, you say? That sounds interesting. Yes, that will placate the poor slob into thinking that you care about him. Now, finish it up with a compliment. Nice shoes, by the way.

In all seriousness, if you want to play a character like that, a low bluff score would be more appropriate. After all, if you're going to be speaking out all your inner most thoughts, it would be assumed that others could hear them.

I can envision a character with a Charisma <8 and no ranks in Bluff speaking in such a manner, but not a Charismatic character well trained (4 or more ranks) in Bluff.

In short, it's my opinion that the concept cannot mechanically mesh with the roleplay idea you're trying to accomplish.

-TRRW

afata5

First Post
Ok, I was clear. You see, the way I saw it, what makes it beautiful, would be that he would have no internal monologue, but a high enough bluff check that the opponents would still be fooled...or confused at least on what to believe. The thought of asking someone to open a door, then self talking that "gosh I hope this works" and then making the person open the door anyways seemed like fun...and a challenge...justdon't know if its viable...

thanks,

Al

ranger89

First Post
Really cool character trait idea. Like it a lot. :)

I'm going to have to agree with theredrobedwizard regarding the low CHA, no bluff skills for the character. Sticking with your original concept, you're PC is going to have some nasty Bluff checks to make. If I were your DM, I'd have to give your opponent's Sense Motive check a +10 or +20 mod.

I honestly like that the key playing this PC would be to just react to the NPCs/PCs reactions to your lack of internal monologue. Your PC will speak his or her mind easlily enough but how he reacts to the NPC that becomes incredibly irate, for example, is where it gets interesting. If your beguiler gets himself into trouble, I'd be sure to have ways to sweet talk, etc. your way out of the situation. There could be positive reactions to your PC's odd behavior as well, perhaps the beautiful woman that hear's your PC say, "Damn she's beautful!" will be immensely flattered. Puzzled but flattered.

Good luck with this! Hope my comments help.

taliesin15

First Post
Yeah, well the beautiful woman I'm sure has heard it all before...

thing is there's people like this all over the real world, and while some of them are funny (Woody Allen), a few are interesting for their candor (I could see a Monk trying this! Ha!), most of them are seen as precocious motormouths, or geeks at best. "Let's try to sneak up on the Lich Lord and hide here behind the Ionian pillar to the right!" Or remember the OoTS episode "Bluff! Bluff the stupid ogres"?

One thing not mentioned here is how smart and wise the character is. Speaking aloud isn't always done stupidly or unwisely.

This reminds me of an episode of Star Trek (Next Generation, if memory serves) where the characters encounter some being *who speaks entirely in metaphor.* A *very* challenging notion for anyone to run a character like that, Player or DM. Seems like one would have to have a list of metaphors at the ready, and preferably not just empty cliches or addages ("stitch in time makes nine" etc.).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
afata5 said:
I'll have a good bluff check and such, so it should be interesting. However, in a game play, how can it be viably done without it wrecking the whole thing and me getting killed :)

I have to preface this: the concept sounds a bit gimmicky, and I'd be wary of it wearing thin rather quickly. But it might be fun, or at least comic. However...

Fun does not equate to effective. I am not at all convinced this can (or should) be a viable behavior pattern at low levels. Your bluff check just wouldn't be high enough. I have to admit that in my games, speaking like that would be pretty stupid behavior, likely to get you killed, beguiler or not. It sounds up there with the low-level wizard who choses to take on major opponents in hand-to-hand combat - a behavior that specifically works against your strengths. Why bother taking a strenght if you intend to specifically trash it?

If we were playing in a comedic game, I might take it as a fun shtick, but not in a more seriously-minded D&D game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads