D&D (2024) How to simply balance ranged weapons.

S'mon

Legend
I also wonder about round length as part of a solution. A round in AD&D, if I recall directly represented a minute of combat. I don't think I'd go quite that far, but if a round of combat represented 20 or 30 seconds instead of 6, with a corresponding increase to the effectiveness of the dash action over open terrain, melee combatants would take a more reasonable number of attacks while approaching combat.

Yes, I think characters are too slow relative to attack rate. Doubling everyone's movement (perhaps through some special Actions like 'sprint' and 'charge' that you can't use while shooting) would help fix that.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's supposed to be harsh,
if you can attack from 150/600ft without any retaliation from melee, then if you get caught in melee, using ranged weapons should be a big pain.
I feel like your first problem (attacking from 600ft) obviates your punishment (advantage on melee attacks.

Basically, you're punishing ranged fighters for not getting the advantage you're punishing them for having.

aco175

Legend
Tracking arrows will stop people from shooting them 600ft.

I hate that, so I would be more in favor of lowering the damage as a simply means.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not saying ranged attacks are overpowered and need to be nerfed. But if such an adjustment must be made, the simplest solution would be to revert back to 3e/3.5e where your DEX (or STR for thrown) modifier was not added to the damage.

For the record, I don't like the OP's option 1 and really don't like option 2. Unless the person is making a ranged attack while an enemy is currently in melee range, then I see no reason why doing so would provoke an OA or grant advantage to future attackers.
Yep. In my own game, strength is only added to melee and thrown weapon damage. Bows and whatnot don’t get dex applied to damage.

Horwath

Legend
I'm not saying ranged attacks are overpowered and need to be nerfed. But if such an adjustment must be made, the simplest solution would be to revert back to 3e/3.5e where your DEX (or STR for thrown) modifier was not added to the damage.
Yes, dealing 1 damage with your bow was always fun and exciting at the table...
For the record, I don't like the OP's option 1 and really don't like option 2. Unless the person is making a ranged attack while an enemy is currently in melee range, then I see no reason why doing so would provoke an OA or grant advantage to future attackers.
You provoke AoO only from creatures that are threatening you.
As for granting advantage, it simulates that you focus on aiming so much that you leave yourself vulnerable to melee attacks if those happen in that round. Also bow/crossbow is poor parry implement and in abstractions of HP/AC, parry could be a part of total AC.

S'mon

Legend
Yes, dealing 1 damage with your bow was always fun and exciting at the table...

You provoke AoO only from creatures that are threatening you.
As for granting advantage, it simulates that you focus on aiming so much that you leave yourself vulnerable to melee attacks if those happen in that round. Also bow/crossbow is poor parry implement and in abstractions of HP/AC, parry could be a part of total AC.

The problem is not the idea of shooting leaving yourself open, more that it should carry over to attacks several seconds later. A crossbow is a better parry implement than unarmed yet uarmed PCs don't grant advantage!

Horwath

Legend
The problem is not the idea of shooting leaving yourself open, more that it should carry over to attacks several seconds later. A crossbow is a better parry implement than unarmed yet uarmed PCs don't grant advantage!
Action happens all at once, but since we cannot have a game where everyone acts and shouts over each other, we need to have turns and rounds. Advantage is describing that when you aim, in reality someone is bashing you over the head with a hammer.

As for unarmed, I agree, without being a monk or having a style or a tavern brawler feat, attacking someone that has a sword with a punch should be very dangerous.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases