• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How useful do sorcerers find the extra spell feat to be?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Wow, so many awesome replies! Well, I guess I'll starts at the top and work my way down. Here's what I've got so far folks...and thanks a million for everyone's input!

First, I agree that Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen are just great feats to have to make sure your magic packs the punch against those higher SRs at high levels. I personally think I'll reserve one of the 3rd or 6th level feats slots with Spell Pen and a 12th level feats slot for greater spell pen.

I'm also quite fond of hold person and hold monster spells. I also intend on taking the buff spells of Endurance and Eagle's Splendor to buff my spell DC and spells/day and my HPs at higher levels really has an impact and extra 10 or 20 HPs looks good, and improves my fort sv. See Inis. is another standard in my spell-casting repetoire.

I originally was planning on taking the extra spell feat a couple of times but after looking at my spell list carefully I believe the majority are correct that an efficiently picked spell list can really make the grade without speding too many feat slots on extra spell. (one just has to work at it a bit, after my third or fourth spell list try I think I found something close to success, I hope) ;)

However, I couldn't resist taking the Extra Spell Feat once to gain an extra 3rd level spell, my selection being (haste, fireball, lightning bolt, hold person, and fly). Four spells just isn't enough for the 3rd level selection!

As for Extra Spell being too weak, I disagree. It is a nice addition to certain spell levels a spellcaster may desire more spells (such as all the buff spells, or just to add more of those higher level spells). Revising the Extra Spell feat would make it too powerful and draw the Sorcerer closer to the wizard...

Sonic energy, I tend to agree is more a cop-out than any of the other energy selections, it almost guaruntees damage dealing capabililty when a sorcerer might otherwise not be as effective.
The only thing more I'll say about it is that this feat provides a flexibility that is looked for in the already narrow focus of the sorcerer. Hmm, perhaps spellls such as Dismissal and Banishment better serve to take care of those other-plane mulit-energy immunities and resistances...(ahem, that is unless you're already on their home plane for you Planar-Travelers out there, hehe)

Silent Spell Feat! Lol, Teleport and Dimension Door for me all the way baby! It's good to hear others plug for this feat! I agree this is a wonderful feat to have for those uncomfortable moments where speaking may not be an option... :D I definately plan on taking it.

It was interesting to hear of other halfling sorcerers. My game group plays in the FRs and I was looking on playing a Strongheart halfling for the bonus to size and all that. Afterall, doesn't a halfling with it's small size and +2 dex mod offer an inherent +2 AC?

Well, that's enough outta me. Thanks all for your discussions, I'm still not finished yet but everyone's posts has helped steer me in better directions for a soon-to-be first time Sorcerer! You know, just for fun I think I'll post my final spell and feat list in case anyone is interested just to let you know how things are turning out and my reasonings thus far.

Thanks again all!

Hecabus

First Post
Chain Spell

I think everyone is overlooking the Chain feat, especially at high levels. The feat is only 3 levels higher and allows you to hit the initial person and your caster level in other targets (right now that would be 25), the down side is the additional targets get a +4 to save and take half damage.

We were using the GenCon Epic level upgrades until the Epic Level Handbook came out. It actually kinda hurt. I gained lots of hitpoint, some saves and base attack, but I lots LOADS of basic feats.

When we rebuilt our characters to be ELH-compliant (wow, I'm a geek, who'd a thunk it?) I took Automatic Quicken Spell 3 times and the feat Multispell. I can now cast four spells a round which is nasty. When I get experience next I will take the Epic Extra Spell, 2 spells isn't all that great for an Epic Feat, but I want to learn Chain Dimensional Anchor and Chain Disintergrate so they don't take a full round to metamagic. I just love the image of all those green rays stopping people from teleporting away before I disintergrate each and every one of them.

"Ok, make 3 save vs. Disintergrate DC 39 for you and DC 35 for your 25 friends......"

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think extra spell is useful in the oooops situations where you relaize you actually do need spell X form level Y which you already took all your spells for. But you really wont know if you have an ooops until you actually paly the character. You actually luck out starting at a high level since you cana void some of the spells that cap out like sleep, so there is less chance of an ooops.

As for spell penatraiotn/greater spell penatration I say its good but not two feats good. Sorcerers don't have any bonus feats so it just isn't worth it IMO. If your facing high SR creatures, make a roll and hope you roll high and count on the muscle to hlp you through it. Also cast spells which SR doesn't apply to like buffing your friends, or self. And even at high levels there are tons of creatures without SR at all.(epic may be different) So in far too many eno:):):):)ers it does nothing. It may save yout butt in other situations, but again I go back to casting other spells and helping the other classes to do their jobs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads