How would you change the new Star Wars trilogy

Vael

Legend
I am assuming that I can't bring Carrie Fisher back ... as much as I'd like to and that we'll still be surprised by her sudden passing.

Film by Film:

The Force Awakens: Make the Republic more of a factor to better explain the political dynamics and to give Leia more presence. Have her arguing with a Republic big-wig about whether or not the First Order is a threat. Have Starkiller base take out the Republic Fleet that was conducting training maneuvers in the Hosnian System, not the Republic government. And rather than have the Resistance base being the target of Starkiller Base in the final battle, have them target Coruscant and the Republic Government. This change is to give more room between TFA and TLJ and to make the universe feel different, so TFA doesn't seem like such a ANH reboot.

The Last Jedi: No major changes. I don't want to get rid of Canto Blight, but I do think it needs some editing. I'd plant some more seeds about Finn possibly being Force sensitive here ... maybe have him trigger a switch unintentionally during their escape. I'd also have to, again, make the broader situation clearer, describe the Republic as "in chaos". Insert a line or two from Snoke that obliquely references Palpatine. Oh, and since the Resistance base was still hidden due to not knowing it's location in TFA, have it been discovered due to a First Order spy. That makes the Holdo and Poe conflict a little different because of paranoia in the Resistance's ranks. I'd introduce an officer that is siding with Poe turns out to be the spy.

The Rise of Skywalker: This is the movie that I want to redo the most. Rey is not a secret Palpatine. Cut the fetch quests. Don't introduce Palpatine in the crawl. Instead, start with a new scene, where we have the Republic Government debating how to take the fight back the First Order, only for them to be all blown up by a terrorist claiming to be working for Palpatine. This is probably where I'd kill Leia, obviously she was supposed to have been a more major player, but having her about to rally the Republic gives her a sudden, but more interesting death. Rather than have Kylo get to Palpatine in the opening scene, I'd make it a race, as both Rey and Kylo are trying to find the Emperor's hiding place.

I dunno ... I think TFA and TLJ can skate through pretty intact, I just want to remodel tRoS to feel less disjointed. Make Palpatine's survival not a part of the crawl, make it a mystery. Even whether or not he's alive, sure the terrorist said he was working for Palpatine, but maybe he was lying.

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe have Been survive and they rule together and reform the final order.

Light side constitutional monarchy. Failing that Rey dues Ben lives. Anything that's not a rehash if redemption death a'la Vader.

Change Reys background something a bit more different than Luke's. Tie her to existing characters in some way. Maybe her and Ben trained together under Luke. She just met some dude who kills people so that plot is silly.

Get the First Order ships over as dangerous. Have those new Star Destroyers wreck face.

More severe change make TLJ part 3 and but Canto Bight. Stick Starkiller base in part 3, kill Luke part 3. Probably reorder the events in RoS and TLJ.

Possibly recast Leia as well so you could use her in RoS as intended.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am assuming that I can't bring Carrie Fisher back ... as much as I'd like to and that we'll still be surprised by her sudden passing.
No, you have access to an editing suite and select minor reshoots. You can’t raise the dead or break the laws of physics. Unless you think George Lucas is the Second Coming, I suppose!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
In all three movies - vague up all references to time and treat space like you should and not involve blowing up planets from other systems or be able to see them being blown up from other systems.

The Force Awakens - I'm OK with StarKiller Base being a planet killer like the Death Star - but in this case using experimental Dark Side/Sith tech to power its own ability to move through hyperspace, suck off the power of suns, and channel that into mind boggling destructive power. The rest of the movie can pretty much proceed as normal.

The Last Jedi - Imply time has passed from destruction of StarKiller and trying to intercept the evacuation. We've established that dive-bombing and torpedo-bombing is the main methods so stick to those and assault the dreadnought with Y-wings or similar fighter-bombers. Pull a Battlestar Galactica and have the Imperial fleet constantly and nearly immediately appearing to harass the fleeing rebels to indicate the tracking is going on. Revise Canto Blight to not include ridiculously cute racing animals but humans/aliens and other people being exploited in dangerous work. Show Admiral Holdo ripping out failsafes and manually messing with the hyperdrive to enable her desperate kamikaze maneuver.

The Rise of Skywalker - Have the Emperor crippled but with his mind still active, his body and plans attended by several twisted mockeries like Snoke. Have the Star Destroyer fleet be a Dark Side ghost fleet of some sort, controlled by Palpatine - no planet killing but destructive of life because of its Dark Side nature. Rey doesn't have to be a Palpatine - particularly if the Emperor is confident that "Nobody can stop my plans! The Great Skywalker clan is under my control! The Kenobis and Windus destroyed! All the great Jedi families, gone!"
Ben still dies - he has to put an end to the Skywalker saga. And for cripe's sake, if you're gonna introduce a potential love interest in the 2nd movie, actually use it in the third!

Bawylie

A very OK person
Lots of good ideas here. Nice.

7: get the OT cast reunited in one scene by the end of the film. Finding Luke can be the goal, but they either bring him to the resistance or show up on the Island. Either way, reunite these cats. The harder we hit the nostalgia notes here, the more liberty we have going forward. (Han lives, until next film).

8: Luke still tosses his lightsaber when offered. But like in episode 6. Explains the Jedi way to turn from violence and hate. He didn’t try to smoke Kylo over a bad dream. He simply failed to reach Kylo the way he reached Vader and Kylo turned because Snoke was grooming him. Rey still trains and touches the dark side. Sees her mirror images, etc.

Cut Canto Bight. I like Morrus’ suggestion upthread about spycraft. Kylo kills both Leia (in his tie fighter - cut space-flying leia) and Han (scene from 7) to complete Snoke’s training. Killing Snoke at the end makes him a Sith. Maybe Palpatine’s voice urges Kylo to find P on the promise of unlimited power. Luke dies in a standoff against the first order, as already shot to give the New Trilogy team and resistance a chance to escape.

9: Kylo and Rey race to find Palpatine. Kylo, to take unlimited power, Rey to stop him from a final turn to evil. Palpatine is dead - his body mechanically and artificially kept functioning but immobile. It’s just a vessel for his malevolent will. “Strike me down and you shall become more powerful than any can imagine!” He’s been waiting for a perfect vessel - Kylo - to possess, subverting the Sith tradition of betrayal and finding a way to cheat death (his saga-long ambition).

New Trilogy team attempts to find Palpatine also. They go to Camino and Mustafar. See that P was experimenting with clones and force sensitive infants to attempt to creat a host. Rey might even be a potential one. Maybe bioengineered and implanted but her parents hid her on her desert planet and got aced by P’s agents.

Rey believes she’s in a lose-lose scenario. Strike down P and get possessed by P. Strike down Kylo and get possessed by P. She quits and goes to Luke’s island. At that point Luke’s ghost shows up and we get some “is P really my father?” And Luke responds that no, Rey is Luke’s father. She’s the reincarnation of the chosen one. The will of the force. Here to bring balance. That’s why she’s so good with the force in the first place, why she found Anakin’s saber, why she saw infinite versions of herself. She’s reincarnated, and not for the first time. But she needs to find a way to win without murder.

So they go have a showdown. Kylo gets Palpatine’s powers and goes ape with it. There’s a lightsaber battle Rey loses it but tosses her lightsaber aside; exorcises Palpatine and she and Kylo use the force to return P’s Sith spirit to the force. Kylo can die redeemed or he can live while Rey disappears. Either way.

OT cast and Kylo’s force ghosts appear at the end.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Man. I can’t imagine removing Canto Bite and still even liking the movie.

But I would try to rework it into something that draws in the whole of the main cast, instead of just two characters.

I’d also make the connection between Rey and Kylo Ren much more platonic, and develop Rey and Fin instead. I know everyone loves Fin and Poe, but if it’s my power, I’m making my ship canon lol.

Poe would have chemistry and flirt with one of the two young bad guys, maybe leading to a subplot of redemption or temptation that isn’t related to the force.

Put in the removed scene where Phasma murders her own troops to keep the secret of her TFA cowardice safe.

Have Han be smuggling for the Resistance, and remove the crap where he looks incompetent.

That’s about it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases