D&D 5E How would you conduct an evil campaign?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't think the evil alignment must mean that they will backstab each other and so on. I mean, it's possible, but not a given. Evil guys have friends, associates, and family. I think because fantasy settings allow for truly evil creatures like demons and dragons and the like, it creates an expectation of what evil means. But I don't think PCs who are evil need to be like the villains in a good aligned campaign.

I think the bigger challenge is the fact that you have decided that each PC would have their own goal, rather than some sort of shared goal.

I think it's smart to give PCs individual goals, but it's essential to give them a shared goal. Something that actually holds the group together and explains why they remain associated.

As for how such a campaign would play out....just look at movies that feature evil characters as the protagonists, and mirror that. The Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, Goodfellas, Usual Suspects, The Warriors, Kill Bill...plenty of ways to handle it. Have the PCs all be members of the same guild or crime family, working to further the group's power and influence. Have them all be hired for a job that then goes wrong, and they have to stick together until they can sort things out. Have them all be wronged by the same person, and band together for revenge. Have them all be working for a merchant house that has gone to a remote frontier type of location in order to seize land and resources from the indigenous folks.

Or, as some folks have suggested, maybe they're just adventurers who wander from place to place, looting and killing.....just like classic adventuring parties. They can just be less scrupulous adventurers.

There's no reason that evil PCs absolutely MUST be at odds with one another. It's certainly more likely than it might be in a good campaign, but it's not a necessity. Tie them together in some way first, and then worry about each PC's individual goals after that. As long as the players are on board and are mature enough to handle a game that is a bit less traditional, it should be fine.

ccs

41st lv DM
Personally, I think your idea of betraying the party in an "endgame" does not sound fun. The problem with PvP games is that they lead to too many secrets, and secrets can be toxic. I mean secrets between the player and a DM. It can feel very unfair, like the DM and the other player are engaged in a different game entirely, and you are cut out of the loop.

Plus it's boring. I don't care if you're character has a secret. Or secrets. Or is secretly doing things. Or is secretly plotting evil things against my character. But from a player pov it's like missing part of the story.... And that's just boring.

akr71

Hero
My thoughts pretty much echo [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION].

1) Strong Session 0 outlining the basic premises.
2) What kind evil? Lawful Evil might be the easiest to pull off (see 3)
3) The Evil Overlord as quest giver - the threat of punishment for failure should be on the party's mind and keep them cooperating.
4) If the campaign survives long enough and as the characters get more powerful, the desire to eliminate the competition might start to show up. Maybe have lots of NPC targets - or even plant the seeds to suggest they could overthrow their lord/lady

Satyrn

First Post
Any thoughts?
My first thought is that you're talking about 2 major, distinct subjects: Evil PCs don't have to engage in PvP, and a PvP game doesn't have to involve evil PCs.

And really, you're contemplating a PvP game, for which I can't offer any advice since I've never engaged in one.

Corwin

Explorer
Plus it's boring. I don't care if you're character has a secret. Or secrets. Or is secretly doing things. Or is secretly plotting evil things against my character. But from a player pov it's like missing part of the story.... And that's just boring.
This. For clarification on my earlier anecdotal story, the player of the cleric, and the DM, had full advance buy-in on my pulling the lich trick.

Last edited:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Wow. My experience with friends has really differed. We played in several evil campaigns. Many of us were lawful evil and a few were neutral evil. We simply did not want to do PvP and so that was not a part of the game.

In one case we were vagabonds on the run and hunted. As a small group of fugitives, we stuck together to good effect.

In another, we were power hungry evil cleric, wizards etc. and formed a pact of mutual assistance. We conquered a lair and went on adventures from this place to collect items of power and wealth. We were a small squad who used any means required to get what we wanted.

I have never seen the NEED for pointless PvP or backstabbing. It CAN happen, but we choose to avoid it. We might take some risks to help one another but are not going to be altruistic.

Consider this: IRL, some pretty "evil" regimes lash out at others but generally avoid destroying themselves. Even further, in the confines of the fantasy, devils, hobgoblins, duergar, and many others have some cooperation over long periods of time and are NOT nice.

It all comes down to player agreement and maturity. As I get older, the fun of being a bad guy even in magic tea party land has lessened. I root for and want to be the good guys. Its a happy escape!

But the fun we had as villainous characters can't be beat. We still laugh (nearly 20 years later) about getting cornered in an inn and my very fat red-haired barbarian busting down a wall to escape after quaffing a potion of giant strength! The list of antics goes on...

Have fun!

TheNoremac42

Explorer
The only "evil" campaign I ever played kind of ended up that way on accident. We rolled random alignments based on background ideals. Most of the group turned out to be some branch of evil with one true neutral character. The most evil thing they did was torture a goblin for information (then killed him afterwards) and threaten the neutral character into obedience.

schnee

First Post
The most successful evil campaign I was ever a part of was led by a core few members that were Clerics and Wizards that served Hades, and the rest were either believers or blindly obedient and weak-willed.

Yeah, one character said "I just go along with things. That's what I do." He was chaotic, but was easily cowed and controlled by the incredibly charismatic leader, and they made it a really fun RP team.

We never plotted or planned against each other, but that's because the Hierophant of the Church of Hades put a Geas on the first character that did that. Nobody else dared. :devil:

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases