• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you describe your style of play?

What is your playing style?

• We pay attention to getting the rules right.

Votes: 31 15.1%
  • Only minor deviation from the rules.

Votes: 81 39.5%
  • Some deviation from the rules, some fast and loose play

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • Many deviations from the game rules

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Fast and loose all the way. What's a rule?

Votes: 7 3.4%

Bendris Noulg

First Post
"Minor Deviation", with the understanding that we've changed Core Rules and replaced with our own; but we do follow those rules most of the time.

By comparison, I'd probably express my games as being 75% role-play, 20% problem solving, and 5% extreme bloody gore.

If you check out the section Merrik's talking about (Page 8 & 9, I believe), it indicates that, in what it calls Deep Immersion, Skills will mostly be the focus of play, to which I can attest that this is basically true. Several of our group-rules are geared towards providing more Skills for the characters: extra training for extra points, purchasing extra poins with XP, retro-active gains from increased Intelligence, +1 per Class Level in Favored Class, CC cost 1 per Rank but maxed per your last Class Level gained, etc. This was primarily to provide more boost to the PCs for social interaction, professions, side-hobbies, etc., without sacrificing competance as "adventurers".

Crass

First Post
In a campaign I was recently playing in - which approached epic for most characters - we played fairly close to the rules.

In another campaign, run by the infamous Hong, we play "fast'n'loose" with many house rules.

MonsterMash

First Post
Some deviations, some house rules, fast and loose some of the time.

Merric, got to say I prefer the term 'fast and loose' rather than 'deep immersion' as it sums up my groups style better as we don't get into heavy roleplaying that much.

Got to admit as I'm getting more confident with 3.5 I'm moving back to the way I used to do things with OD&D, e.g. if I can't find a rule (or be bothered to look for it) make it a skill check or test against an attribute with a relevant difficulty - back with OD&D it would have been try a relevant save or similar way.

d10

First Post
Fast-n-loose all the way. Why bring the game to a screeching halt and kill the mood to look up some obscure rule?

:]

diaglo

Adventurer
i use feel, flavor, essence, ..... with an eye on the rules. ;)

basically i describe what i want to do. and then see if there is a rule to cover it.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
MonsterMash said:
Some deviations, some house rules, fast and loose some of the time.

Merric, got to say I prefer the term 'fast and loose' rather than 'deep immersion' as it sums up my groups style better as we don't get into heavy roleplaying that much.

Yes, they really are different meanings. I really got introduced to "fast and loose" as a gaming term through the Babylon 5 CCG; it was a great game, but could go very slowly indeed - however, the designers suggesting playing it "fast and loose" in those stages where nothing important was happening.

Cheers!

Kahuna Burger

First Post
MerricB said:
Yes, and I'd call that sticking to the rules. It doesn't matter if the rules are self-created, it's how you follow them that's important. :)

this was my interpretation of the question. I play with a lot of house rules, but once the rules of my game are established, I fit mostly into the second catagory of slight deviations.

Kahuna Burger

Cor Azer

First Post
I don't deviate from the rules a lot - or at least, not knowingly.

I have a fairly good grasp of all the rules though, and I'll often go from memory rather than wasting time to confirm something I'm pretty sure of. Most of the time I've gotten the rule right, but a few times it's been wrong. No lasting harm was done though, and we figured out the "correct" way after the session.

Sir Elton

First Post
MerricB said:
In the DMG, there is a section that discusses the differences in playing style, in particular that of how much you worry about the game rules, and how much you you play in a more role-playing orientated fashion where the story is more important than the numbers. I think the descriptions there involved things like "Deep Immersion", but I prefer the term "Fast'n'loose"

How would you describe your gaming style?

Cheers!

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES! oh . . D&D gaming style.

My style I'd enjoy is the style of Robin Laws' Feng Shui. Lots of big, cheesy action in the style of a Hong Kong movie. Unfortunately I'm running a happy medium. I'm running a campaign in the style of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

Last edited:

Remove ads