• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you play a Samurai with these Stats?

Valavien:
How I see it - the character would be obviously quite strong and powerful, pretty quick, but just like a normal human in every other respect. This is where I am having trouble, because the other stats are so crap.

What in the world are you talking about? Those stats are crap?!? You don't even have any negative modifiers! You can do whatever you want to with that samurai. Come talk to me if you have stats below 7. :p

Lothar

First Post
Those are very poor stats for a samurai. The only way a person with such average mental stats would become a samurai is through nepotism. Intelligence, wisdom, and charisma are more important for a samurai than stregnth, dexterity, and constitution.

So your character probably would have been trained by his father or one of his uncles. That relative would have been a powerful samurai. I would play him as a competent samurai that was always trying to live up to the reputation of his mentor.

Carnifex

First Post
A samurai is a positon you are *born* into, not one you gain as a result of having good stats, as it were. The average samurai probably has average stats. They may be nobles but they're still normal people, unless you've decided that high stats have a hereditary quality. As such, I'd say the samurai presented here is superior to a normal samurai warrior, in that he is much stronger than the normal man.

Florin

First Post
Well, if you're playing in Rokugan, he'd be a good candidate for Clan Crab or Lion. :) I'd play him like a normal samurai. He may not have the natural abilities, but with the right skills, he could manuever through society well enough. You may want to even play up your strength so that people assume you're the big dumb guy and will be surprised by your average intelligence, well, if you're a Scorpion at least... :D

Valavien

First Post
I just played in our game last night. I actually only have 15 Strength!! doh :(

We actually didn't get much game played but here is how the combat played out at the end.

We get off a small boat in a cave were there are about 8 warriors armed with mainly disarming weapons are ready to attack.

I am on the boat and use my shortbow before I get off and get ready to engage about 20 feet away. Three come after me and the rest go after the monk and rogue (2 are manning a ballista on the otherside of the cave)

I quick draw my magic weapon katana +1/+1 thanks to the priest , I miss with +7

One uses their entangle weapon on me - I fail opposed roll, I go to the ground.

I succeed next round to get up, attack - miss

I get entagled again from a failed opposed roll!

Sleep spell is cast by one of us - I fail my saving throw!

I fall asleep while I am tangled!

I get tied up by one of them.

Meanwhile alot have been killed by the monk and the rogue on the other side of me.

Another sleep spell is cast and I fall asleep again, while I am in custody.

the ballista boys have come over with the two left that are next to me (rogue got other one) They pick me up me and start running away shouting, let us flee or we will kill him!

Formation:

x
x me x
x

Knowing that I am not finding much honour in this the monk charges the first one and kills him. I am awake again from all of the movement and I had a good initiative roll compared to the enemy. I try and make a move because the others are distracted by the party rushing them. I failed whatever I was doing, attack or try and break free.

next round I actually head butted the guy behind me for 5 subdual points woohoo!! he is a ten hit point warrior however.

Ok so next round I break free and the rest are eventually killed while I free myself and get healed by the priest.

I roled the crapiest rolls anyone could have seen! each roll except the initiative roll was a 2 3 for or 5! I changed d20's 4 times and it didn't matter!

On the other hand I was incredibly lucky to live, but I was lucky that they missed their attacks on me. Except the AOo from my headbutt

So there you go, the party really does not think much of my fighting ability now and really don't have much confidence in me at all!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads