D&D (2024) How you going to roll... 5.24 into your game(s)?

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I don't know. Right now I have a new A5e campaign I'll be sticking with for a while – probably at least into next year.

My Shadowdark game is probably done in a month or two. I don't know yet what I'll run for them.

My twice-monthly group probably has another couple of months too. It's 2014 D&D + Xanathars + most of Tashas running the excellent Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands. It's online so the convenience of D&D Beyond is pretty useful.

I have a bunch of campaigns / systems I'd like to play:

• My own City of Arches (doing so now in my Wednesday group).
  • Ptolus by Monte Cook, although I'm already running a city-based game.
  • My own homebrewed Vecna adventure – this would work well with D&D 2024.
  • Shadow of the Weird Wizard. I'm waiting for the physical books to come out.
  • 13th Age r2. I love 13th Age. Again, waiting for the books so probably not until late next year.
  • Dungeons of Drakkenheim. Looks fun, another dark city game though. Could be played with anything.
  • Maybe Tales of the Valiant with some Midgard stuff. Perhaps a Wasted West or Dragon Empire homebrew game.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

I'm certainly not actively avoiding D&D 2024 but them saying things like "Frustrating for Dungeon Masters but fantastic for your party." and "monsters are going to hate this warlock" doesn't sell me that they had the DM in mind when they poured on new abilities for all the character classes in D&D 2024. It honestly looks like a pain in the ass to run so far. I hope I'm wrong.

So I have lots of options. Lots of 5e variants to try out. Lots of ways to customize D&D 2014 if I want. And lots of other systems my players and I are excited about.

We'll have to see!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm with @Clint_L - I've already been playing with playtest stuff without any troubles - not even when we use old subclasses or other elements. I'll just start building characters with new material as soon as I get a hold of it. If anyone shows up to game with an "old" character, I don't expect any problems with letting them play it.

Quickleaf

Legend
As a GM I don't have a need for 2024 D&D. If players want to use something from it – e.g. in my Rime of the Frostmaiden PbP game we have 2 UA warlocks – I'm happy to let them. I'm already house-ruling and homebrewing stuff on the GM's side to high heaven.

More broadly, I'm enjoying playing games outside of the modern D&D-o-sphere. Just played in a Delta Green game for the first time. Looking forward to running a whole mess of games including 1e AD&D, DCC, CyberpunkRED, Swords of the Serpentine, etc.

I gave away most of my WotC 5e books to my nephew.

Last WotC book I bought was Wild Beyond the Witchlight (late 2021) - it was the last book they published that really inspired me.
Last other-party 5e books I bought were Dungeon Delver's Guide (ENPublishing) and Necropolis (the Necromancer Games remix for 5e).

I'll continue to enjoy playing D&D, but you'll probably find me in the OSR and indie scene more often.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't know. Right now I have a new A5e campaign I'll be sticking with for a while – probably at least into next year.

My Shadowdark game is probably done in a month or two. I don't know yet what I'll run for them.

My twice-monthly group probably has another couple of months too. It's 2014 D&D + Xanathars + most of Tashas running the excellent Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands. It's online so the convenience of D&D Beyond is pretty useful.

• 13th Age r2. I love 13th Age. Again, waiting for the books so probably not until late next year.
  • Dungeons of Drakkenheim. Looks fun, another dark city game though. Could be played with anything.
  • Maybe Tales of the Valiant with some Midgard stuff. Perhaps a Wasted West or Dragon Empire homebrew game.

I'm certainly not actively avoiding D&D 2024 but them saying things like "Frustrating for Dungeon Masters but fantastic for your party." and "monsters are going to hate this warlock" doesn't sell me that they had the DM in mind when they poured on new abilities for all the character classes in D&D 2024. It honestly looks like a pain in the ass to run so far. I hope I'm wrong.

So I have lots of options. Lots of 5e variants to try out. Lots of ways to customize D&D 2014 if I want. And lots of other systems my players and I are excited about.

We'll have to see!
Wow. Just looked at your links. I knew 5.5 was player-focused but...wow. it really reads like they don't care about how or if the DM enjoys running the game for all those superheroes.

Quickleaf

Legend
Wow. Just looked at your links. I knew 5.5 was player-focused but...wow. it really reads like they don't care about how or if the DM enjoys running the game for all those superheroes.
I don't think we have hard evidence for this yet, but my deep suspicion is that the long-term plan is a move toward online play and either AI-assisted-DMs or full AI-DM options. That may be off or it could change with new management, but my sense is they're looking at online play as a profit revenue - primarily video games - but the adjacent digital options like "get these 12 virtual dice on DNDBeyond" are already happening.

It echoes what I believe happened during 4th edition's design. If the corporate team wants a game that translates well to digital formats, then things like "what is the GM's experience/enjoyment of this game like" or "handling piddly splash damage for this ranger build" become less of a design priority.

No insider knowledge, just reading the tea leaves.

Quickleaf

Legend

We'll have to see!
Also excited for Shadow of the Weird Wizard!

I share your sentiment about being concerned for how 2024 will run for a GM. The current 2014 edition has enough difficulty to GM - there are enough things for a GM to modify and keep track of and adapt to. If anything, I'd think 2024 should prioritize lessening that burden. But from what we've seen it seems to be moving slightly the other direction.

JEB

Legend
I share your sentiment about being concerned for how 2024 will run for a GM. The current 2014 edition has enough difficulty to GM - there are enough things for a GM to modify and keep track of and adapt to. If anything, I'd think 2024 should prioritize lessening that burden. But from what we've seen it seems to be moving slightly the other direction.
To be fair, we've only seen previews of the player-side stuff - theoretically we'll see stuff to help the DMs when the DMG previews start.

However, I do agree that those comments @SlyFlourish found are a concern. I thought they were past endorsing player vs. DM at this point.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
To be fair, we've only seen previews of the player-side stuff - theoretically we'll see stuff to help the DMs when the DMG previews start.

However, I do agree that those comments @SlyFlourish found are a concern. I thought they were past endorsing player vs. DM at this point.
I don't know...I don't recall any DM material being playtested. Easy to see that as being less concerned about the opinions of DMs.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Based on the UA (since they haven’t released the official 2024 cleric yet), I’ll be updating the fighter and cleric classes in my home games to the 2024 version (minus the omnipresence of feats), but that’s about it. I dislike nearly every other decision they’re made for 5.2e

Remove ads