Human Fighters Most Common Race/Class Combo In D&D

*Deleted by user*

Tony Vargas

Legend
Different posters eventually get associations over time.

IIRC, CapnZapp has a thing for sorcerers and magic item prices.
...and Day Length.

Tony has a strong desire for more complex martial options and/or the Warlord.
Definitely a Warlord. ;)

'More complex' is a bit of a misnomer. Complexity isn't desirable in and of itself, it has to accomplish something. In a game where most classes are extremely versatile, balancing an historically-limited class meant increasing it's complexity, some, though still nowhere near that of others, historically. The complexity was seized upon not just as a downside abhorred by those who wanted the class returned to it's former state, but as the shorthand for the balanced, versatile alternative. It's... unfortunate.

Me? I have no strong or irrational opinions. ;)
Heh. ;)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Wezerek suggests a slightly silly reason for the popularity of human fighters: human because they get +1 to everything, and fighters because they let you focus on storytelling over mechanics.

Note to those of you not actually checking into the very short article - the author doesn't attempt to infer why people play fighters from the data. At all. He's posting his thought on that topic and how it might appeal to players like himself. And he's got a point. Fighters are, relatively speaking, easy to get a handle on and play without needing to reference the rules as often as spellcasters or classes with more fiddly bits.

Dausuul

Legend
Two interesting observations:

• Of the four most popular classes, three are noncasters (meaning they don't have spellcasting as part of the base class, though they might have a caster subclass). Considering there are only four noncaster classes in the game, that's pretty substantial.
  • Elves, humans, and half-elves together make up more than 50% of all characters.

Coroc

Hero
Ahh that feelgood when you are confirmed to be doing the right thing in preventing your players to take ridiculous combos like dwarfen wizards or Halfling barbarian gwm builds by simply banning them from your campaign in shameless and remorseless appliance of RULE ZERO yessss :]

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This sort of thing always catches my interest...but what I'd really like to know is how much of that data is tainted by multiclassing. Anyone know if there's a version of this data that either strips out multiclass characters or gives a % of each total that comes from multis?

I'm surprised to see Druid so underplayed. Too weak due to design-level over-reaction to CoDzilla in 3e, maybe?

But Human Fighters for the win! Yeah, baby! :)
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] - Fighters are supposed to be simple. Failing that, there needs to be another core class that is simple and basic and mechanics-light to mechanics-none* for people like me to play when we just want to hit things and not think about it, and not fuss with feats or mechanics or anyhting else beyond plusses to hit and damage.

* - yet still vaguely capable of contributing as much to the game/party as more complex characters.

And some things never change. Even back in 1e there were articles etc. suggesting the expected split would be roughly 40-30-20-10 where 40% of the PCs would be Fighters (or subclasses), 10% would be Magic-Users (or Illusionists), 20% would be one of Cleric or Thief and 30% would be the other - I can never remember which order those two go in. Doesn't account for Monks.

Long-term data from our own 1e games shows closer to a 40-25-15-15-5 split Fighter-Cleric-Thief-MU-Other.

Lanefan

I will be curious to see what results they get if they do something like this around this time next year (preferably if the results are broken down by year). Trends are the key.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I will be curious to see what results they get if they do something like this around this time next year (preferably if the results are broken down by year). Trends are the key.
Broadly, probably not very different, given that this mostly matches with WotC previous shared findings.

But time shall tell.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Guess my next character will be an Aasimar Druid.

But, yes, I imagine that this result is because humans are the most powerful race and fighter is the most powerful class, at least at lower levels before options really start opening up for the others.

Remove ads

Remove ads