Hybrid Exercise Ideas

keterys

First Post
One of the groups I'm in is about to start a new campaign, that'll start around 10th and end around 22nd (give or take a level or so on both sides). When discussing characters for it, someone decided we should all be hybrids. Someone else upped the ante to hybrids of differing roles, and if possible the four players would end up with 2 controller, 2 leader, 2 striker, 2 defender.

I'm not entirely sold on that level of symmetry, but that's at least not a bad starting premise for people to work on character concepts. So, now the question for all of you...

What are some decent (not optimal, but also not horrible) hybrid ideas that fit those criteria?
* Each of the two hybrid classes must be a separate role (no striker/striker, no defender/defender)
* Every role must appear in at least two different hybrid versions

We've already seen someone play a swordmage/warlock and a druid/monk, so I don't expect those specific combinations to reoccur.

Fridayknight

First Post
Myself, I love hybrids. It doubles the amount of background and thought you can put into a character!

Chaladin/chalord works well as does:
druid/ranger
barbarian (thane)/bard (melee based)
sorcerer/barbarian
cleric/avenger
cleric/shaman

Lord Ernie

First Post
Some other good ones:

Swordmage|Artificer
Warlord|Barbarian
Warlord|Wizard
Seeker|Ranger

In general, Wizards, Swordmages, and Warlords make excellent hybrids, because they don't lose much with hybriding, and can gain most of it back using a single feat.

Mentat55

First Post
Warden|barbarian
Rogue|bard
Fighter|warlord
Ranger|warlord
Wizard|bard
Avenger|wizard

And two classics:
Rogue|wizard
Fighter|rogue

Mentat55

First Post
How's this one actually work out?

The biggest weakness is doubling up on Dex/Int, meaning you'll have a good AC and Reflex, but bad Fortitude and Will (if you go eladrin, your Will is somewhat better). You can take Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades) so you can use a dagger as an implement, and take Hybrid Talent to get the rogue's +1 attacks with a dagger.

Not optimal by any means, but you can definitely make it work. And I like the idea of a rogue with access to wizard cantrips and some of the cooler wizard utility powers.

knightofround

First Post
Luckily for you, I made such a list a few weeks ago while research hybrids for a possible all-hybrid campaign =)

The following are what I call "optimal multirole hybrids". They cover two roles, they share at least two recommend stats, and at least one of those stats must be used as a primary attack stat for both classes' at-will powers.

I've listed each possible combination twice, so you can search for a "primary" class first, and then see your "secondary" options. Class order is per current DDI.

(Interesting sidenote: There are no "optimal multirole hybrid" combos for the Rogue, Assassin, and Monk classes. Due to lack of Dex classes outside the striker role. Of course you could make a good hybrid from these, however you'd have to violate one of the assumptions, and even then it would be subpar at best.)

L: Cleric, Warlord, Bard, Shaman, Ardent, Artificer (17/56)
D: Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Battlemind, Swordmage (14/56)
S: Ranger, Warlock, Avenger, Barbarian, Sorcerer (17/56)
C: Wizard, Druid, Invoker, Psion, Seeker (8/56)

The hardest ones to hybrid with are the Controllers and Defenders, so maybe have each player choose one of those unless someone wants double up. This is a good idea anyway because out of all the combos Controller+Defender is the toughest to pull off mechanically. After you figure out that you can go through the class list to see what works for mixing in the leaders & strikers.

Cleric/Fighter (Must be STR Cleric)
Cleric/Paladin (Must be STR Cleric, must be STR Paladin)
Cleric/Ranger (Must be STR Cleric)
Cleric/Barbarian (Must be STR Cleric)
Cleric/Warden (Must be STR Cleric)
Cleric/Seeker (Must be WIS Cleric)
Fighter/Cleric (Must be STR Cleric)
Fighter/Ranger (Must be STR Ranger)
Fighter/Warlord
Fighter/Barbarian
Paladin/Cleric (Must be STR Paladin, must be STR Cleric)
Paladin/Ranger (Must be STR Paladin, must be STR Ranger)
Paladin/Warlord (Must be STR Paladin)
Paladin/Barbarian (Must be STR Paladin)
Paladin/Sorcerer (Must be CHA Paladin)
Ranger/Cleric (Must be STR Ranger, must be STR Cleric)
Ranger/Fighter (Must be STR Ranger)
Ranger/Paladin (Must be STR Ranger, must be STR Paladin)
Ranger/Warden (Must be STR Ranger)
Rogue/Nothing!!!!!!!!!!
Warlock/Bard (Must be CHA Warlock)
Warlock/Ardent (Must be CHA Warlock)
Warlock/Battlemind (Must be CON Warlock)
Warlord/Fighter
Warlord/Paladin (Must be STR Paladin)
Warlord/Barbarian
Wizard/Artificer
Avenger/Druid
Avenger/Invoker
Avenger/Shaman
Avenger/Seeker
Barbarian/Cleric (Must be STR Cleric)
Barbarian/Fighter
Barbarian/Paladin (Must be STR Paladin)
Barbarian/Warlord
Barbarian/Warden
Bard/Warlock (Must be CHA Warlock)
Druid/Avenger
Druid/Shaman
Invoker/Avenger
Invoker/Shaman
Shaman/Avenger
Shaman/Druid
Shaman/Invoker
Sorcerer/Paladin (Must be CHA Paladin)
Warden/Cleric (Must be STR Cleric)
Warden/Ranger (Must be STR Ranger)
Warden/Barbarian
Ardent/Warlock (Must be CHA Warlock)
Artificer/Wizard
Artificer/Psion
Artificer/Swordmage
Assassin/Nothing!!!!!!!!
Battlemind/Warlock (Must be CON Warlock)
Monk/Nothing!!!!!!!!
Psion/Artificer
Seeker/Cleric (Must be WIS Cleric)
Seeker/Avenger
Swordmage/Artificer

Keep in mind that some of these are still iffy due to mechanics other than stats and roles. Avenger/Seeker & Cleric/Seeker are examples. Good combo at first sight...however the ranged weapon nature of seeker conflicts with melee weapon nature of the Avenger and Cleric. Which means it would probably turn out crappy. Same goes for mixing implement with weapon users, and heavy area attacks classes with melee weapon attack classes. Those can all be done, they just turn out a bit less optimal.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Cleric/Invoker and Bard/Barbarian so far sounded good to people. Though I doubt they're 100% committed since one of them is like "Yeah, I'll be Barbard the Bardbarian and sing about the lamentations of my women!"

Which would leave the other two slots, in theory, as striker/defender and controller/defender. Though I suspect "AoEr" like sorcerer or swordmage could fill in as controller if it came down to it.

Anyhow, thanks so far. We're pretty unused to hybrids and I didn't see much in the way of guides or really in depth discussions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases