D&D 5E Hypervelocity bards (WAS Fixing the bard's action economy (quick suggestion))

By the rules as written, a bard is able to do an absurd number of things with his mouth all at once. He can cast a spell with verbal components and his flute as a magical focus WHILE ALSO composing and reciting an inspiring ditto to bolster his comrades' performance (Bardic Inspiration) WHILE ALSO wittily insulting his opponent's pants in order to distract him (Cutting Words) from Counterspelling the wizard.

This is ridiculous, and it happens because WotC basically pays zero attention to what is physically happening in-game during a combat round, as long as it meets their action economy standards.

But the thought occurs: why not just add the restrictions back in? Bardic Inspiration can go from "as a bonus action" to "as a bonus action and when your mouth is not otherwise occupied in spellcasting or speaking"; Cutting Words can likewise can go from "as a reaction" to "as a reaction to a situation you see developing, if you did not cast a spell with verbal components this round". It weakens bards slightly from a purely mechanistic perspective, but that's a small price to pay for not having an utterly stupid combination of class abilities wrecking everyone's suspension of disbelief and the DM's ability to describe what is actually happening.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think it is needlessly restrictive and definitely won't be including this in my games. I tend not to worry too much with the minutiae of actions round by round.

CM

Adventurer
I assume you're going to extend that to other classes using two verbal abilities in the same round? Like the shield spell and nearly any other spell. Or channel divinity: turn undead and healing word

Probably also should be extended to the hands: If you're using your action to attack with a weapon or channel divinity you also shouldn't be able to use a reaction to make an opportunity attack. It's only fair.

In all seriousness, why can't the bard's magical ditty inspire his ally, invoke a magical effect, and distract his foes, all at the same time? Your proposed rule breaks the bard's action economy.

By the rules as written, a bard is able to do an absurd number of things with his mouth all at once. He can cast a spell with verbal components and his flute as a magical focus WHILE ALSO composing and reciting an inspiring ditto to bolster his comrades' performance (Bardic Inspiration) WHILE ALSO wittily insulting his opponent's pants in order to distract him (Cutting Words) from Counterspelling the wizard.
First of all, none of these actions are actually simultaneous per the rules. The bard casts a spell AND THEN inspires his allies AND THEN insults his opponent. Secondly, does it really strike you as so unbelievable that a professional musician might be able to put multiple layers of emotional meaning into the same performance, in succession or even, yes, simultaneously? Imagine you're in a jazz club and a waiter drops a tray. A good improvisational jazz player can work the sound of that crash into their music and add a few silly flourishes, entertaining the audience (Bardic Inspiration) and embarrassing the waiter (Cutting Words) without dropping the thread of their performance (the spell).

I assume you're going to extend that to other classes using two verbal abilities in the same round? Like the shield spell and nearly any other spell. Or channel divinity: turn undead and healing word

Probably not. Speaking a single (healing) word is easier than creatively insulting someone at just the right time. Or do you think of Cutting Words as something that can be done in a fraction of a second? How does that play out in your imagination and verbal descriptions?

Note though that you ARE already restricted from casting Healing Word at the same time you're casting another spell, with or without a verbal component. Having additional restrictions in addition to action economy is already part of 5E.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
I think the problem here is in assuming that each "thing" a bard does is a unique action when it's probably all wrapped up in whatever performance or oratory he/she's doing. So like, rather than imagining the bard breathlessly working in a spell between inspirational motifs and reactions, etc, the bard is somehow performing (dancing, playing bagpipes, cracking jokes, or whatever that particular bard fancies) and manages to work in a variety of effects throughout that performance.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I have yet to see even a glimmer of immersion breaking for anyone I played with regarding the bards "sound economy", so it's not something I would consider changing.

I have an idea though, of how to fix it that makes all of the things that can happen in a round seem 100% plausible. Bards are rappers! A google search has shown me that 6.5 words/second is easily doable without any magic, that's about 40 words/round! Plenty of time to insult, inspire, and abracadabra it up. If for some reason another option is needed there have been singers in other genres like country/folk that can spout many many words in a 6 second round. Come to think of it, the average person can say quite a bit in that time with no training whatsoever.

Langy

Explorer
The obvious answer is that he *is* doing all of that at once - he weaves a song together that has him both playing the flute and singing (though not at exactly the same time, obviously), and the verses of the song correspond to the verbal components of his spell as well as inspiring lyrics to his allies and cutting lyrics to his foes. And hell, all three of those lyrical components could be in the same verse.

(Note: Nowhere does it say that verbal components are always the same - they just mean he has to verbalize *something*, not a specific thing)

Staffan

Legend
I have an idea though, of how to fix it that makes all of the things that can happen in a round seem 100% plausible. Bards are rappers!
[video=youtube;dwydujSqMRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwydujSqMRA[/video]

Or for those who like more traditional singing:
[video=youtube;hlTisI_HSgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTisI_HSgw[/video]

Remove ads