D&D (2024) Hypothetical Direction Shift For 1D&D/6E

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This thread isn't really the place to debate what WotC is going to do. It hypothetically presupposes they will make a design shift.
If I'm guessing the path you are hoping for I'd look at the fate ecosystem for an example. On the one hand you have fate core & fate accelerated along with things like the fate worlds books from evilhat. From those you have the core rules & give some skeletons for different genres of world (a very loose description on my part). I'm going to limit my examples from there From there you have a tapestry of fate products that spiderweb out to things like morts (fairly straightforward fate core with a themed paintjob kinda sorta adventure analog), the very impressive & nearly heartbreaker level mindjammer, a somewhat middleground but still mostly fate secret of cats, or proto/pre-fate core things like dfrpg/sotc or the various other evil hat games. Wotc would need to find a healthy middle ground between TSR's umpteen rpg's 3.x's avalanche of new books & 5e's near glacial trickle of support for a frozen codebase of a single system.

Reynard

Legend
If I'm guessing the path you are hoping for I'd look at the fate ecosystem for an example. On the one hand you have fate core & fate accelerated along with things like the fate worlds books from evilhat. From those you have the core rules & give some skeletons for different genres of world (a very loose description on my part). I'm going to limit my examples from there From there you have a tapestry of fate products that spiderweb out to things like morts (fairly straightforward fate core with a themed paintjob kinda sorta adventure analog), the very impressive & nearly heartbreaker level mindjammer, a somewhat middleground but still mostly fate secret of cats, or proto/pre-fate core things like dfrpg/sotc or the various other evil hat games. Wotc would need to find a healthy middle ground between TSR's umpteen rpg's 3.x's avalanche of new books & 5e's near glacial trickle of support for a frozen codebase of a single system.
I don't think WotC would create multiple lines. They have seemed to be really resistant to expanding their design team. I think it's a cool idea: win by filling ALL the niches. Maybe actually delivering on the original modular promise?

Remathilis

Legend
Consider what has prompted every edition change so far.

2e: A desire to standardize elements of game design. 2E was designed to remove all the weird corner-cases in 1e and replace them with universal design goals. For example, a ranger would no longer have a unique XP progression and a strange HD progression and bonus attacks but would share those elements with the fighter and/or paladin. The illusionist would use the same spells (and spell progression) as a magic-user/mage. Etc.
3e: A desire to unify the sprawling mess of rules 2e became. 3e wanted to create unified systems (three broad saves vs 5 specific ones, 1 XP chart, upwards AC) Skills intergrated properly into the system. A system that was designed to be modular and through.
4e: A desire to even the power-curve. 3.x had proven to be too inconsistent with its power levels. Attack and save scaling resulted in uneven character math. Feat chains and prestige classes required high levels of rules awareness to avoid trap. A desire to have magic and martial power on the same playing field. A desire to bring in lessons from MMOs (tank, healer, dps) design. Emphasis on tactical combat.
5e: A simplification. 4e (and 3e) had both ended up sprawling messes, full of sloggy rules and an overemphasis on describing every last thing as a mechanical rule. 5e wanted DMs to have more control, combat to be quicker and less math intensive, and character choices to be fewer but more impactful. An edition that could emulate elements of all prior editions.

So, what is the problems with 5e that 6e would fix. I guess it's too dependent on DM fiat, characters lack sufficient choices, short rests are too infrequent to balance class mechanics behind, monsters need more interesting things that aren't just spells, and magic items should be figured into the math a little better.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't think WotC would create multiple lines. They have seemed to be really resistant to expanding their design team. I think it's a cool idea: win by filling ALL the niches. Maybe actually delivering on the original modular promise?
Sure they can. On top of everything @Remathilis mentioned in 36 what little we have of 6e is shockingly modular in a way that supports complete drop in replacement toolkit subsystems as opposed to the extensible 3.x style that could still be included. Eberron Darksun FR & ravenloft could have completely different spell lists weapon lists & armor lists to dramatically mix up the gameplay without needing to do much fiddling with edge cases like classes & such.

The FR(or whatever) drop in bits could be 5e style painfully oversimplified & streamlined till they are void of life style some like while the darksun & eberron dropins could sport all the extensible hooks needed for wide magic slippery post/prewar time period or whatever gritty post apocalyptic survival crapsack world. Meanwhile monsters in general could have the bits and bobs needed to be useful for the GM to run fun combats instead of mindnumbing slogs with giant sacks of HP. As long as the math for all of those have the same or similar margins baked in for magic item expectations they don't need to resort to Rifts style mudflation between dropins that would cause the GM to want one set that gives them the most room to run fun campaign & players a different set of maximum munchkin charop even if they functionally have some different yardsticks & expectations.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think they ar going back to the drawing board and compatibility is out the window. They’ve shown they really really want their IP, so we’ll see a system that is more unique than we’ve seen in the play test I don’t know what exactly that looks like. Major changes in alignment, race (species) and TT mechanics that are going to be rooted from VTT mechanics. VTT is their focus, I believe, so they will design mechanics that a computer can take advantage of.
I think they will maintain continuity and connections to 5e because they want to maximize the sales of 50th anniversary products. A wild change, as we've just seen, wouldn't be able to do that with the now limited time available to design.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think they'd do two lines, either, I'm honestly just struggling with the confines of the hypothetical.

As to modularity, they delivered a system that is itself modular...they just kept to big mainstream modules, not filling niche uses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases