• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hypothetical Question about future D&D

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Over in another thread -- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=144708 -- the question was asked if folks would abandon D&D if D&D4e when it comes out. A number of replies gave an answer equating to a flat out "no", they would abandon a 4e. That they would ALWAYS play D&D.

This sparked an odd thought (I have a lot of these). What if, at some point down the line, some other game company purchased D&D from Hasbro/WotC? And then they took and slapped the brand on their own house system (D&D Storyteller? D&D GURPS? D&D Palladium?)?

Would the folks who said that they would always play D&D care about the underlying system? Or are they playing it for the name?

As I said, it was just an odd thought, and so I thought that I would also share it.... :D

Masked Otaku

First Post
Rasyr said:
This sparked an odd thought (I have a lot of these). What if, at some point down the line, some other game company purchased D&D from Hasbro/WotC? And then they took and slapped the brand on their own house system (D&D Storyteller? D&D GURPS? D&D Palladium?)?

Would the folks who said that they would always play D&D care about the underlying system? Or are they playing it for the name?

Partially for the name.

But D&D just wouldn't be D&D without classes and levels.

Sure I can run a game in Grayhawk or Forgotten Realms setting, but it wouldn't really be D&D {to me}.

I have ran fantasy games using Fuzion, GURPS, even Silhouette and Story Teller in Forgotten Realms, but it's just not D&D.

Last edited:

Sado

First Post
That's a good question. How radically did 3E depart from earlier versions? I really only got into D&D when 3E came out. How different of a game is 3E from the previous edition? I know it had the same ability scores and a lot of the same termionolgy, but how much changed?

caudor

Adventurer
It is not time yet, but when the time comes for D&D 4e, I'll most likely keep right on playing.

However, if the entire system is drastically changed (instead of evolves)...like getting rid of the character/level system, I'll have a very difficult time accepting that. It should be somewhat backward compatible.

The reason I play D&D right now is that I like it.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I play D&D because I like the system. If somebody were to buy out the company and change the system radically, I wouldn't bother playing it unless the new system was also fun.

I certainly wouldn't spend money on "GURPS Greyhawk" or "Forgotten Realms Rifts" or similar, for the same reason I don't buy GURPS or Rifts books now. I prefer the system I'm using, and I'll stick with it until the moment I find something better.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sado said:
That's a good question. How radically did 3E depart from earlier versions? I really only got into D&D when 3E came out. How different of a game is 3E from the previous edition? I know it had the same ability scores and a lot of the same termionolgy, but how much changed?
They cleaned up a lot of things, but most of it had precursors in the previous editions (even the prestige class debuted in 1E as the thief-acrobat), and there were a large number of "sacred cows" kept intact in this edition to prevent people feeling like "it's not D&D without armor class/hit points/mind flayers/halflings."

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I certainly don't play D&D for its inspiring core story! :confused:

If D&D switched to GURPS, Tri-Stat or Storyteller, I'd continue to play an OGL Conan- or Iron Heroes- or d20 Modern- or Arcana Evolved- or True20- or Spycraft-derived set of houserules and not bother buying the core books. I'm not terribly fond of either system, though to be fair I haven't played enough Storyteller to say for sure. I usually like dice pools, so perhaps I'd change my mind.

If D&D switched to HERO, I'd be more inclined to play it.

If D&D switched to Silhouette Core, I'd switch over to SilCore again because I'd be able to find players for my favorite system. :D But I'd still use it for late medieval tactical espionage action games with Cthulhu-style magic. Or Spelljammer.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Sado said:

It's a pretty radical break. While it keeps certain 'core features' -- classes, levels, hit points, Tolkien-esque races, alignment -- it also includes a lot that breaks with previous versions of D&D. Some of the most significant changes include: feats, skills (though simpler skill systems were in RC D&D and AD&D), easy multiclassing, more common magic items (and much easier crafting rules), completely different combat system (3e is much more tactical and detailed than ealier editions), a very different power scale (level advancement is much faster in 3e; also, in pre-3e versions of D&D, the power increases per level tapered off significantly after level ten or so, whereas they do not in 3e), prestige classes (though antecedents existed in 1e and RC D&D), and many other things.

In my own view, D&D 3e is effectively a new game -- a new system with an old label. My 'simple test' for this is that it is very difficult to convert pre-3e material into 3e rules (it requires a lot of work), whereas it is very easy to convert material between different versions of pre-3e D&D (e.g. 1e AD&D to 2e AD&D, or 1e AD&D to RC D&D).

This is not a bad thing (despite the fact that people strangely freak out on these boards whenever I make this point). Rather, my point is that the similarity between 3e D&D and pre-3e D&D is about as strong as the similarity between AD&D and Tunnels and Trolls or MERP. Or, to put the point in another way, when I first read the 3e books I thought: "So, they revised D&D to be like Rolemaster!" (Note: different people had different associations when reading 3e -- e.g. some people thought it obviously borrowed from Runequest, others GURPS, and so forth. 3e borrowed from many different games, but it was clearly a radical departure from pre-3e D&D.)

Again, the fact that 3e is effectively a 'new game' IMO is not a bad thing, especially since there were many systems back before 3e that I preferred to AD&D (e.g. MERP, Rolemaster, Runequest, etc.), and some of my favourite features from those other systems were incorporated into 3e. (Despite that, 3e is still not my favourite version of D&D -- I prefer the RC version, or C&C if it counts, but my own tastes are neither here nor there for the purposes of my point.)

In short, the changes were pretty radical. :cool:

As for Rasyr's question, It'll be interesting to see if the 3e diehards join the people who still play 1e and OD&D over at Dragonsfoot.org once WotC 'upgrades' to 4e. Today's hip gamer is tomorrow's grognard. ;)

Remove ads