D&D 5E "I’m that DM. . ."

ezgif-2-7bbb86d230.jpg

edit: stupid .webp format.

Attachments

• 1B1F86C8-AC43-4002-9695-63D69F773836.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 25

I'm the DM that says monsters/enemies die even though they actually have 1-5 hit points remaining, because I am the one getting bored of the combat.
I'll do that anytime they've gotten within the range of what their lowest rolled hit points could be, the outcome of the battle is certain, and we're just in mop up mode. Nobody ever thought back on their game night and thought "gosh, I wish we got to have an extra two rounds trying to finish off that one hard to hit enemy".

Yeah the PCs might get through with a few extra hit points. I have plenty of other ways of gobbling those up.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I'm the DM that likes surprises, and thinks scripts/flowcharts/railroads are boring.
To paraphrase an old GURPS forumite, I'm that gm that says it's not railroading if the PCs run on to the station platform and throw money at the teller demanding their ticket. Yeah, those are my players.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm that DM that has storylines that take place over 20 years of gaming, multiple editions, and many different groups.

I'm that DM that uses time travel to soft reboot the campaign setting so that I can explore new ways for it to unfold with new players. I'm on instance 4 or 5 (depending upon whether you count a fizzled campaign) of the 'first adventure' in the primary setting. Each time it has run it has been very different depending upon the decisions of the PCs, the edition rules, and the tweaks I've made to the setting.

I'm that DM that considers the world I run locked in place once I make the decision to add something to it. Even if the PCs have not encountered it, I do not change it. It is there, and I figure out how it interacts with the rest of the world and I add it to the checklist of things I need to update as the calendar moves forward.

I'm that DM that uses about 50% homebrew spells, monsters, and magic items.

I'm that DM that plays the long con within a campaign - with PCs discovering that something from their backstory or something they encountered at level 1 might be a major element in the campaign's final stages.

I'm that DM that wants every PC to have a starring role in the campaign at differnt points in time. The PCs are not playing in my campaign. We're building theirs.

I'm that DM that puts old PCs from prior campaigns into his future campaigns as NPCs.

MrWildman

Explorer
I'm the DM who . . .
Comes up with ridiculous names for everything. Meaning my players may start at Yarklin Keep on the River Zoosh, then cross the Rupsnortch Ridge to meet with the goblin king Goblu Teegu. Who will mock their harsh provincial accents.

I'm that DM who doesn't prep properly because I kept procastinating, but manages to nonetheless convince the players that the entirely winging-it course I've sent them on is some sort of in-depth ultra-detailed deal I spent days on. They still think some stuff I made up on the spot involving a tower in a forest and alhoon was part of an elaborate subplot.

One time I managed to sideline them for an entire 3hr session simply by making up a massive extraplanar market on the 30 minute bus journey to the session, which they were of course much more interested in than saving people or bashing heads.

I do normally do prep, I swear, like real prep, except when I don't...
I'm the DM that plans a session based on what the players said their characters were planning to do the previous session, only to have to throw my entire plan out and have to wing it when they've had a week to think and decided they wanted to do something else I didn't plan for.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I'm the DM that plans a session based on what the players said their characters were planning to do the previous session, only to have to throw my entire plan out and have to wing it when they've had a week to think and decided they wanted to do something else I didn't plan for.
That seems more like a "They're the players that..." kinda issue.

Remove ads