D&D 5E I Am One of the Few Who Plays D&D in Japan

JWO

First Post
I think a lot of it is about right place, right time as well! I've been in Bristol in the UK for almost 4 years since leaving Japan and I've only found one RPG campaign (Pathfinder) in that time that really stuck, and even then it wasn't a perfect fit. I've played a few games here and there with different groups but nothing long lasting. Had to resort to DMing (not my preference) to actually play 5th ed and even with that it's been difficult to get people to commit regularly.

edutrevi

First Post
Dude, thankfully I'm not you. I'm from Brasil and in here is easy to find some nerds who likes and play RPGs.
Here, we have a national RPG called 'Old Dragon' based on the OD&D and it's awesome!

dd.stevenson

Super KY
How do you find players? And how do you do play online? I would love to know!
I guess if I was living in a big city I might be able to find players, but in my town is impossible...

I play on roll20. I also advertise on roll20; when you advertise on that site, it's by time zone so basically all of Australia can queue to play in your games. When you can, stick with recruiting Australians rather than xpats in the rest of asia, because frankly xpats don't tend to have very steady lifestyles or level heads. (If they tell you they've been here 10+ years then that makes them probable exceptions.)

I've never had to wait longer than a week to recruit quality players in my games.

Wepwawet

Explorer
For my current game I tried to find players online and ask geek friends of mine, but nothing, couldn't find enough people to start a group.
Then I asked a few random friends on facebook, people that might be interested in playing D&D, as a long shot. To my surprise they were really interested, and they're not the geek/nerd type!
We have a campaign going now.
The weird thing is that i was much luckier with complete newbies than with friends I though of as proper rpg geeks.

Then again, mostly everyone here have heard about D&D...

The thing is, nowadays it is fashionable and chic to be a geek. Take advantage of that :)

Psychman

Explorer
I think a lot of it is about right place, right time as well! I've been in Bristol in the UK for almost 4 years since leaving Japan and I've only found one RPG campaign (Pathfinder) in that time that really stuck, and even then it wasn't a perfect fit. I've played a few games here and there with different groups but nothing long lasting. Had to resort to DMing (not my preference) to actually play 5th ed and even with that it's been difficult to get people to commit regularly.

Have you been to the Stag & Hounds on Old Market on a monday? There are at least 2 games going on there on a weekly basis, as well as other occasional more short-lived games. These are not necessarily D&D, however.

This facebook group is possibly worth making use of, as well as asking in Excelsior! and Area 51.

Last edited:

JWO

First Post
Have you been to the Stag & Hounds on Old Market on a monday? There are at least 2 games going on there on a weekly basis, as well as other occasional more short-lived games. These are not necessarily D&D, however.

This facebook group is possibly worth making use of, as well as asking in Excelsior! and Area 51.

I went to the Stag and Hounds once (admittedly a while ago), but all the games were either totally full or just random one-shots and I'd rather get involved with something long-term. I keep an eye on the FB group to see what's going on but there hasn't really been anything that's grabbed me. I get the impression that there's not an awful lot of fantasy gaming going on there. I know I'm probably being overly picky! :)

I'm working on a game as DM at the moment but if that doesn't go anywhere I'll probably post something in the Excelsior! FB group. I'm in Excelsior! all the time...

Dragonbait

Explorer
About six years ago my expat friend returned to the states with a large group of Japanese gamers. They belonged to a large group called.. ADDA out of Tokyo, I think. I believe that the group still gathers but there has been some splintering. They played D&D 3E at the time and had the English versions of the rulebooks and translated the texts on their own, I guess. They were split up into smaller groups and played once a month, but the DMs would keep in contact. Once a year they supposedly met up to play a massive adventure.

My friend is back in Tokyo so if you want to see if that group is still around PM me and I might be able to get info for you. His group splintered from the main group and then the group fell apart due to life and babies.

txshusker

First Post
I've been in Japan for over 10 years now and I haven't been able to find a single person who plays (or even knows about) D&D.

Still looking for a group to play with but I've almost given up. I'm still buying D&D books for the pure pleasure of reading them, and making characters that will never get to be played.

this is perhaps the saddest and loneliest post I've ever read on ENW. Characters that are created but never played.... I think I literally teared up thinking about their stagnant existences in some manila folder as if they were on the Island of Misfit Toys. :(

Roll20 is good advice. And Facetime or Skype can allow video interaction for free. I have 3 locals and 2 through Skype I DM.

ren1999

First Post
Even older people have expressed interest in D&D, but they are either in the office or at the Izakaya(bar restaurant). I would invite you to my game but it is corporate television and you need a badge. Have a look at my link. I use it mainly to manage my game, but you can use it to play solo.

http://dnd5.weebly.com

Remove ads