D&D 5E I believe a slow and light product release can cause more harm in the long run.

Greg K

Legend
A player that is only happy endlessly fiddling with mechanical tidbits isn't interested in the campaign or actually playing a character. These types are best left to game with only each other. You will have a happier and saner game for it. If ALL of players are like that then a new group is in order. No gaming is better than terrible gaming.

You saved me the time. The issue isn't the release schedule it is a bad match between player and DM and the DM blaming the release schedule rather than taking responsibility for how they handled the situation.

One or two non-adventure books a year, and a few smaller adventures between the big releases. (If they revive Dungeon Magazine, however, we probably don't need the latter.)

As for how long, forever, I'd hope...

The how long is pertinent.
Assuming all the books stay in print, that's 2 accessories after a year, 4 after two years, 6 after three, 8 after four, and 10 after five. Even if every third is a monster book, that's 8 books.
Do they need to keep going at that same rate or should they slow down?

* A monthly magazine which would be a collection of both Dungeon and Dragon old magazines in regard with what's on it (be it in print or web based)
I think they'd love to do this as well but haven't found a partner willing to make the magazine.

And everyone says "I want the magazines back!" but under 550 people have backed En5sider, which IS doing monthly content.

* Smaller adventures (around the 32 pages long) at least three time a year
Assuming the future big hardcover adventures are all the same size as PotA, they equate with six 42-page modules for a fraction of the price.
Still, a few smaller adventures would be nice. I hope they put the old Adventurer's League adventures on sale after a season or two.

Plus, see above, as En5sider is close to the break even point for increasing adventures by 40%.

* Some form of new and old setting at least once a year (I would prefer a new setting, but I am not against a form of updating old settings, too, in a smaller book explaining what has changed since the old editions, and adapting some specifics mechanics of said setting... Think the influence of the moons in Dragonlance, The wizards' schools in Glantri (Mystara), dragonmarks for eberron, and so on and so forth...)
I think for 90% of settings "what has changed" would be nothing. The Realms is an exception in that regard.

* A more varied novel schedule (I love the forgotten realms, but I would love some new Ravenloft novels, or Planescape, even Mystara is for me a potential almost untapped. So is Greyhawk for that matters, imagine a series of novel sets during the Greyhawk Wars, or after "From the Ashes")
That would be neat. But it seems like even the Realms novels are no longer doing as well.

Ashran

Explorer
I think they'd love to do this as well but haven't found a partner willing to make the magazine.

And everyone says "I want the magazines back!" but under 550 people have backed En5sider, which IS doing monthly content.

I am amongst these people. I firmly believe to put my money where my mouth is :p I also backed some kickstarters with third party content for 5th edition, again for the same reason. So far, I have not been disapointed :)

Harry Dresden

First Post
That's still not an answer? How many books per year would make you happy and what types?

What I want:

• More short term adventures. (Two per month)
  • Lot's of Forgotten Realms books. (I want a really thick campaign guide followed by regional guides that go more in-depth) (FR is really big and has lots of areas that have little to no coverage).
  • Class guides. (I would like to see the classes more in-depth because there is so much room for exploring them more, especially subclasses).
  • Equipment guide.
  • NPC Codex.
  • Racial guides.
  • Magic Explored. (I would like to see more in-depth descriptions and options when dealing with the various types of magic and more and more ways to differentiate them, especially with the Warlock and Sorcerer. Not to mention more clerical domains).
  • More Monster books.
These are some just off the top of my head. Also, they don't need to necessarily contain much crunch and I'm sure some of them could be in one book.

What I want:

• More short term adventures. (Two per month)
  • Lot's of Forgotten Realms books. (I want a really thick campaign guide followed by regional guides that go more in-depth) (FR is really big and has lots of areas that have little to no coverage).
  • Class guides. (I would like to see the classes more in-depth because there is so much room for exploring them more, especially subclasses).
  • Equipment guide.
  • NPC Codex.
  • Racial guides.
  • Magic Explored. (I would like to see more in-depth descriptions and options when dealing with the various types of magic and more and more ways to differentiate them, especially with the Warlock and Sorcerer. Not to mention more clerical domains).
  • More Monster books.
These are some just off the top of my head. Also, they don't need to necessarily contain much crunch and I'm sure some of them could be in one book.
And we need all this within a year?
It took Pathfinder four years to get out all that content...

Class and racial guides are tricky, because they're books that - by design - don't appeal to everyone. The person playing a wizard isn't going to grab the fighter guide and the person who hates elves isn't going to grab the book of elves. A single book expanding on all the classes and races will sell much better and be cheaper for people buying all the books.

Harry Dresden

First Post
No, because I don't want the hobby undermined by splat, you shouldn't get it. Pizza is a poor analogy

What do you mean by undermined?

All games are approved by the DM before they start so if you want a restrictive game then find a DM who will do that for you.

Organized games also have limits on what is used so no problem there.

If you want restrictive games then run a game yourself.

It all boils down to because you don't like it, then none of us should have it.

Don't buy more books than you plan on using. Don't allow more books than you are comfortable with.

Your reasoning makes no sense what so ever.

Harry Dresden

First Post
And we need all this within a year?
It took Pathfinder four years to get out all that content...

Class and racial guides are tricky, because they're books that - by design - don't appeal to everyone. The person playing a wizard isn't going to grab the fighter guide and the person who hates elves isn't going to grab the book of elves. A single book expanding on all the classes and races will sell much better and be cheaper for people buying all the books.

I never said I wanted all this in one year.

They aren't even really giving us anything on the side to make up for a lack of books. We don't even have a Dragon or Dungeon Mag. These web articles and such right now are a bit of a joke to be honest.

The problem Wizards' might need to accept is that it wasn't exactly the amount of releases that were the problem, it more about the content in them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do you mean by undermined?

All games are approved by the DM before they start so if you want a restrictive game then find a DM who will do that for you.

Organized games also have limits on what is used so no problem there.

If you want restrictive games then run a game yourself.

It all boils down to because you don't like it, then none of us should have it.

Don't buy more books than you plan on using. Don't allow more books than you are comfortable with.

Your reasoning makes no sense what so ever.

Too much bloat harms the whole community, the pile of books syndrome. So, no, even if some want to have it, I don't want it to be out there. Literally hurts me if D&D becomes too steeped in esoteric splat books. This is not a positive sum game, I can't just ignore the bloat if it actively turns off players, as Wizards has revealed for 3E-4E bloat.

Doesn't matter, anyways, the slow release schedule is reality. Not changing anytime soon because of another thread on a forum WOTC employees do not frequent.

Remove ads