• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have Heroes of Shadows

Aegeri

First Post
Firstly, thanks very much for the information. I'm really wondering what on earth is going on with the shadow hound, but I do wonder if the level 15 (?) version is better. I know I said I wouldn't ask anything else, but it occurs to me to ask if the Necromancer/Nethermancer get a level 5 daily. Or do their summon powers replace it?

I am very very disappointed about there not being a feat against necrotic. That was one thing I felt the book could have contributed very much. What a waste.

The vampire being able to get durable goes a long way to making the class viable. Hilariously though, that does mean a shade vampire gets 1 surge to start with. That's awful. Is there at least support for necrotic damage? I'm getting this awful feeling outside of these classes, other wizards for example might as well not bother taking necrotic powers from the book at all.

What are the feats in the book? The cold feats sounded interesting I guess. You said they are very "campaign specific", could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

chitzk0i

Explorer
For the vampire class, you have choices for utility powers at 2 and 22, plus the chioce of paragon "specialization" of beguiler or stalker. Of course there are always skill powers and racial utilities, but otherwise, you only have 1 power per level outside of 2 and 22 (where you get 2 options each, sort of 'extra' beguiler/stalker options outside of the paragon path)

I think... you've worded this awkwardly. There's been two daily 1's previewed I know of, so you must be able to pick at least that level. What levels do vampires not have choices and what levels do they have a list of attack powers to choose from?

Also, how long the nethermancy apprentice feature last? Until end of next turn?

Aegeri

First Post
I think... you've worded this awkwardly. There's been two daily 1's previewed I know of, so you must be able to pick at least that level. What levels do vampires not have choices and what levels do they have a list of attack powers to choose from?
His information is consistent with the previous preview that showed the level up chart. It showed fixed powers in most of the positions for the dailies on the chart and didn't look to have any choices. It seems amazingly linear.

chitzk0i

Explorer
His information is consistent with the previous preview that showed the level up chart. It showed fixed powers in most of the positions for the dailies on the chart and didn't look to have any choices. It seems amazingly linear.

Oh. It seems I misremembered...

but to clarify something else, does the Binder's Shadow Twist work if you are adjacent to the enemy? Otherwise, I don't see that pact boon triggering very often.

squad

First Post
Thanks!

Thanks for providing all this information!

I had a question or two about the gloom pact hexblade. Is the pact weapon a light blade or a heavy blade? Can you spoil any details about their at-will attack?

WalterKovacs

First Post
Firstly, thanks very much for the information. I'm really wondering what on earth is going on with the shadow hound, but I do wonder if the level 15 (?) version is better. I know I said I wouldn't ask anything else, but it occurs to me to ask if the Necromancer/Nethermancer get a level 5 daily. Or do their summon powers replace it?

It gets better at level 19 [for some reason the level 19 versions don't even have the melee symbol for their at-will attack]. The shadow brute is large, has reach 2 that sort of grabs the target (it's immobilize save ends, but auto ends if the target ends his turn 2 squares away from the brute).

The only powers in the book at 5/19 are the summons, but you don't have to take it. At 5, it counts as one spell. At level 19, you can give up one of your two spells at that level to instead get access to the better creature for your level 5 summon power.

I am very very disappointed about there not being a feat against necrotic. That was one thing I felt the book could have contributed very much. What a waste.

The vampire being able to get durable goes a long way to making the class viable. Hilariously though, that does mean a shade vampire gets 1 surge to start with. That's awful. Is there at least support for necrotic damage? I'm getting this awful feeling outside of these classes, other wizards for example might as well not bother taking necrotic powers from the book at all.

Featwise, it's just the ignore insubstantial feat that was previewed.

What are the feats in the book? The cold feats sounded interesting I guess. You said they are very "campaign specific", could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Skipping over the revenant feats and expertise feats:

Ghostwise: 3 feats. Ghost wise: Bonuses against invisible or hidden enemies. Ghost Scorpion Strike: The ignore insubstantial feat. Spectral Step: The action point = insubstantial feat.

Winterkin: The feat I mentioned, and another that gives icewalk (ignore dificult terrain caused by ice/snow) and gives bonuses to endurance checks in cold weather and acrobatic checks on icy surfaces.

Lore of Moil: The reroll against undead feat that was previewed, bonus to shadow summoning that was previewed, getting thp when you shadow summon, and preventing healing when you hit. I think all four were previewed.

Finally, there is a Shadowborn "tree". Basically, you need to take Born of Shadow as a prereq for the other feats. Born of Shadow changes your origin to shadow, and gives +1 to saving throws in dim light or darkness. Shadow Blood imprves second wind, in dim light or darkness. Shadow Control improves defenses, in dim light or darkness. Shadow Mantle gives concealment when you kill a non-minion. Shadow Overflow lets you deal Con mod necro damage when you kill something with a MBA. Shadow Strider let's you ignore difficult terrain in ... you guessed i ... dim light or darkness.

The Shadowborn feats don't give feat bonuses, so if you know you are going into a "gloomy" campaign (or dungeon delving where everyone has low-light/darkvision; or you have means of lowering the lights, etc) they can be quite useful. Ditto that if you know you are going up against ghosts or undead, some other feats can be very good instead of hoping to get to use them.

=======================

As an aside, on the matter of necrotic powers:

In terms of wizards:

There are a number of powers that deal necrotic + fire (mostly encounters). There are necromancy spells that deal no necrotic damage at all (one of the at-wills). Some of the necrotic powers don't do damage to undead anyway (dealing a seperate power instead, mostly dailies). So the number of straight necrotic damage powers are few (one at-will, a couple of encounters at certain levels, and some dailies ... actually the nethermancer dailies have necrotic damage without bonuses against undead, but they do have some interesting riders which still make them interesting.

Tere are lots of powers in the book that wizards can grab and not have to worry about necrotic resistance (or other classes for that matter). There are a few powers that do deal nothing but necro damage, so those are things they have to decide for themselves whether to risk it.

Aegeri

First Post
Hmm that's not that bad at all then to be honest! It's a shame for the Dark Pact Warlock, who could really have used an-anti necrotic power. Then again if things in the book don't use a lot of it, there really isn't any point to such a feat (except to some older classes...).

I have been discussing elements of this with a friend and I was wondering about the cold resistance and bonus to will feat. Does that have a stat requirement, or have Wizards within the space of a book made cold adapted useless (scaling 5/10/15 cold resistance)?

WalterKovacs

First Post

Also, how long the nethermancy apprentice feature last? Until end of next turn?

Those were the only options, all other levels gives you a power (or additional uses of the bloodsucking power). You do get a different encounter power at a few levels, that let's you spend a surge to attack a second target or deal more damage to the single target.

The nethermancy stuff is end of next turn (most stuff I don't specify is).

Oh. It seems I misremembered...

but to clarify something else, does the Binder's Shadow Twist work if you are adjacent to the enemy? Otherwise, I don't see that pact boon triggering very often.

It says no other creatures ... so you'll mostly be trying to trigger it yourself, or hoping your allies kill people that happen to come after you.

Oh, so is the Executioner an exact replica of the DDI "completed class" from 4 months ago?

Any major changes to Revenants?

I'm pretty sure it's the same. Which is annoying because I was going to be playing one tonight had it been added to the OCB. :(

Revenants are basically the same with their added stat option. I think the feats are the same, but I haven't checked.

Thanks for providing all this information!

I had a question or two about the gloom pact hexblade. Is the pact weapon a light blade or a heavy blade? Can you spoil any details about their at-will attack?

Funny enough, the gloom pact "blade" is a flail. The Scourge of Exquisite Agony (+2 1d10 with reach!) The at-will deals necro damage, slides the target a square and gives them a -2 penalty to attack rolls. And it's a MBA natch. Also the gloom/hex pact boon is gives insubstantial and phasing until end of next turn.

Any new boons or interesting magic items?

Nope. Only equipment in the book is some Shadowfell type stuff (Blessed Soil to protect tomb's, Ghoul Candle to see in the dark but not alert undead, Poison Kit for the Executioner Assassin, and a Raven's Feather that functions as a way of finding out if someone dies.

Remove ads