• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have Heroes of Shadows

WalterKovacs

First Post
Hmm that's not that bad at all then to be honest! It's a shame for the Dark Pact Warlock, who could really have used an-anti necrotic power. Then again if things in the book don't use a lot of it, there really isn't any point to such a feat (except to some older classes...).

I have been discussing elements of this with a friend and I was wondering about the cold resistance and bonus to will feat. Does that have a stat requirement, or have Wizards within the space of a book made cold adapted useless (scaling 5/10/15 cold resistance)?

13 Con or 13 Wis.

Aegeri

First Post
Hold on, I thought they added armor with necrotic resist and a weapon that ignored necrotic resist in the book as well (Both common items).

Or is it time to go and get me my crazy bucket?

EDIT: Also, did the Executioner get any feat support?

No they did not, he confirmed some time ago that the feats in the book were just what was previewed before (EG very little sadly :().

squad

First Post
Thanks for the hexblade info! Flail is an odd, and somewhat disappointing, choice. Oh well . . .

One last question - what are the gloom and star pact at-wills like for the binder warlock?

Aegeri

First Post
It's really odd and very disappointing they would give him a flail and yet not include flail expertise in the book. Seriously, this book has made me facepalm so hard about numerous design decision in this I'm pretty sure I'm going to be permanently addled by the time I get my own copy.

Edit: Of course I see that it IS time to get me the crazy bucket.

Edit2: I am also quite confused why they reprinted the executioner in the book instead of a new build or something. I thought the executioner was supposed to be DDI, not a playtest until they released it into the book? Or again, is this me just needing the crazy bucket?

WalterKovacs

First Post
Could you give a quick runthrough of the Blackguard's stuff, please?

I'll try to stick to stuff they didn't put in the preview stuff.

You get +Cha to dmg when you have combat advantage.

At level 1, you get a utility to give yourself concealment and thp as an encounter power. The at-will they all get is 1[W] + Str mod, and +2 dmg per enemy adjcent to you (max +8).

At 2, you get a specific utility, no choice. It gives thp, saving throw, bonus to defenses. Again, encounter power.

All the powers are weapon. You do have a holy symbol, but unless you pick dailies from older paladins, it doesn't come up.

As for the Vices:

Domination - 1/round, if you have thp, deal Cha mod damage to yourself before making an attack roll. You get the damage you took as a bonus to the damage you deal.

Their at-will gains thp equal to Cha mod. At level 7 you gain extra benefit from your level 1 utility (extra thp).

Fury - You get an extra +2 to dmg if you have combat advantage, +4 if you are bloodied, or you are adjacent to a bloodied creature.

Their at-will was spoiled (gives c/a on your next attack, regardless of target). At level 7 your level 1 utility gives you bonus to damage until end of next turn.

One last question - what are the gloom and star pact at-wills like for the binder warlock?

Gloom - Close blast 5, up to two targets, psychic damage and pushes up to 2 squares.

Star pact - Range 10, single target, until end of next turn, all your allies 3 or more squares away from target cannot be seen.

It's really odd and very disappointing they would give him a flail and yet not include flail expertise in the book. Seriously, this book has made me facepalm so hard about numerous design decision in this I'm pretty sure I'm going to be permanently addled by the time I get my own copy.

The assumption is that you'd be probably using an implement expertise, since your dailies use implement only, and all weapon powers also have implement for hexblades.

Edit: Of course I see that it IS time to get me the crazy bucket.

Edit2: I am also quite confused why they reprinted the executioner in the book instead of a new build or something. I thought the executioner was supposed to be DDI, not a playtest until they released it into the book? Or again, is this me just needing the crazy bucket?

It was supposed to be ... but when it was going to go into the builder, they suddenly said it was a playtest for HoS instead of DDI exclusive content.

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
The nice thing about the hexblade having both weapon/implement is normally you can get a choice of things like expertise. For example the Hexblades with light blades can get a lot out of light blade expertise (and in fact it's a really good option). Flail hexblades just don't get that choice, because there is no flail expertise and it makes the non-inclusion of it just silly. Especially as there are other builds/classes who wouldn't mind it either. Oh well.

The information on Blackguards is interesting, though I think the Fury Blackguard might be a bit better off unless the Domination Blackguards self damage applies for the whole round (Or just the next attack?).

All the powers are weapon. You do have a holy symbol, but unless you pick dailies from older paladins, it doesn't come up.
Ahh, I guess that answered my next question then. First daily at Lv. 5 a la the Cavalier?

Their at-will was spoiled (gives c/a on your next attack, regardless of target). Your level 1 at-will gives you bonus to damage until end of next turn.
Hmm, I don't remember this from the Fury at-will that was previewed. Or is this something else entirely?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads