• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have PHB I

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Mycanid said:
I'm writing a letter to Mr. Gygax right now and give him a piece of my mind! You'd think CEO's would have more foresight....
Wait, what?! My book doesn't list him on there! Is it assumed or did I buy the wrong book?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
OMG!! Look closer at the book! Does TSR know some other company has ripped off the Dungeons & Dragons name? Don't waste your money on this PHB I, I'm sure the lawyers are gonna shut down Wizards of the Coast for this one!

mearls

Hero
I Am Enraged

I read the PHB I with an open mind. Honestly, I simply wanted to see a better game. Instead, I found a complete travesty. It was only by the sheer force of my iron will that I avoided setting myself on fire in protest.

I noticed that the description of the Strength attribute neglected to include rules for percentile Strength. I passed this off as another sign of shoddy craftsmanship and assumed that percentile strength would be explained under the fighter character class. However, a careful perusal of the new rules for Constitution show that, not only does a measly 12 Con render +1 hit point per level, but now EVERY CHARACTER CLASS GAINS THE BENEFITS OF A 16 OR HIGHER CON. What was once the exclusive domain of the fighter and its subclasses has now been trampled into the earth and foolishly spread to all character classes.

A first level wizard with 8 hit points and an 18 Strength (20 if he is a half-orc!)? B0rken! Such a wizard would be only +1 worse than a fighter in melee, and his damage bonus (again, assuming half-orc) nearly doubles the MAXIMUM possible damage roll with a staff.

I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me!

diaglo

Adventurer
mearls said:
I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me!
welcome to my sig. :D

Dragonbait

Explorer
And that damn super half-orc mage does not have to worry about auto-death spells and auto-level loss from monsters. Yes, I got a sneak peek of the MM. What CRAP! If you thought the new rules were bizarre and coddle players, just wait till you see the monsters! 1HD spiders no longer have auto-death poison, and you can SAVE to RESIST energy drain?! How, as a DM, will I keep my players in check? They aer no longer in fear of character deaths happening in every adventure. Since when was an ogre a giant? It is a large cousin to a goblin or orc, yet neither are related anymore! And kobolds are reptilian?! I thought they dropped that crap in 2ed, when they made them dog-men, as they should have been.

and to get back to the PHB I, why the hell did they change the thief abilites from d% rolls to d20 rolls? I mean, its like way easier to roll a 20 (max) on a d20 than getting 95 to 100 on a d00. They nerfed the traps.
You did it again, TSR.

Seule

Explorer
So, on the preview of the Monster Manual in the back of the book, I can't find out how much XP each monster is worth. How am I supposed to use them if I can't figure out how much XP to award for defeating them?
Plus, where's their treasure types?

--Seule

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I just finished reading through the combat section. There are RULES for tripping, disarming, grappling. I can't believe the days of endless arguing about these things are over!

I imagine that this new edition of D&D will be the biggest ever.

Remove ads