"I Have Traveled To The Floor of The Pit of My Own Free Will"

Sorrowdusk

First Post
WHO says that? I dont even understand what that means.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVwPgrQ_R_s]Dungeons And Dragons 3 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

No, really....even I could have come up with better lines than that, for Dungeons & Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness. The only good thing is that line is almost meme worthy. Almost.

You know it's bad when movie trailers like this....actually look better, have better dialogue and better effects.

OH AND BIGGER BUDGET: (from wikipedia) $ 8,000,000
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hipa8GwNgQ]Pirates 2: Stagnetti's Revenge - Katsumi - YouTube[/ame]

And its actually (contrary to the trailer which portrays its as a parody/comedy) an adult film... :confused:

(Plus in case that turned some people off from buying it, they made a cut R-rated version you can find on blu ray in Blockbuster right now)

That. Is. Sad. :eek:

* Transformers
* GI Joe
* Dungeons & Dragons.........

Regardless of what you thought about the other two, you KNOW they put more effort into them.

Now I HEARD Hasbro doesnt really have the rights, since TSR sold them even before it was acquired. IF this is TRUE they need to get them back, or at least do a movie without D&D in the title seeing as if they REALLY didnt have the rights at all...why hasnt anyone done a Drizzt or anything-based-on-iconic-stuff movie?

I'm not saying get Peter Jackson to do it........I'm just saying do a decent job and you will put D&D back in the public imagination with a good story based in it's iconic lore. To say nothing of the DVD sales, T-shirts, toys, and nick nacks including slurpee cups .....you will get more people to TRY the game than ever.

Albeit I dont know that I would want them to try 4E.......though some people like 4E. Perhaps, yes Hasbro/Wiz should focus on making a good 5th Edition that will last for at least a decade before thinking of movies.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
The descisions for such movies are made like "I think we could use a new cheap movie with no real effort behind it to use our unused production capacities. Is there some popular show or game that nobody else is having the movie rights for?"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The descisions for such movies are made like "I think we could use a new cheap movie with no real effort behind it to use our unused production capacities. Is there some popular show or game that nobody else is having the movie rights for?"

There is an additional, "Our rights to make movies with this brand expires if we don't make one within X time. So, to keep our rights long-term, we will make a crappy movie now."

Ulrick

First Post
I doubt that the D&D movie franchise can recover from the original D&D movie enough to actually make a movie that a mainstream audience would like.

Wrath of the Dragon God was okay, better than the first. But neither of those movies, nor from what I can tell from the trailer to BoVD, makes me want to use them as a platform to introduce somebody to D&D.

In fact, when the first D&D movie came out, I had a friend who was interested in playing D&D. He had never played before. So a couple days before my D&D session, we went to see the first movie in theaters. Afterward, I was embarrassed, I kept telling him that really didn't represent D&D. But he didn't want to play the game after that... :(

----

I think, in order to catch the public's imagination, the "D&D" aspect has to take a backseat to the story. I mean, think about it. The rules are just rules, secondary to the experience of the game (at least that's how I view things).

So instead of giving a film a title like "Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God" or "Dungeons and Dragons: the Book of Vile Darkness" how about...

"The Wrath of the Dragon God: A Dungeons and Dragons Film."
"The Book of Vile Darkness: A Tale from Dungeons and Dragons"

Or

"The Crystal Shard: Part One of the Icewind Dale Trilogy" (regular D&D players would get it, and non-players would soon find out).

Just sayin'.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
I doubt that the D&D movie franchise can recover from the original D&D movie enough to actually make a movie that a mainstream audience would like.

Wrath of the Dragon God was okay, better than the first. But neither of those movies, nor from what I can tell from the trailer to BoVD, makes me want to use them as a platform to introduce somebody to D&D.

In fact, when the first D&D movie came out, I had a friend who was interested in playing D&D. He had never played before. So a couple days before my D&D session, we went to see the first movie in theaters. Afterward, I was embarrassed, I kept telling him that really didn't represent D&D. But he didn't want to play the game after that... :(

----

I think, in order to catch the public's imagination, the "D&D" aspect has to take a backseat to the story. I mean, think about it. The rules are just rules, secondary to the experience of the game (at least that's how I view things).

So instead of giving a film a title like "Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God" or "Dungeons and Dragons: the Book of Vile Darkness" how about...

"The Wrath of the Dragon God: A Dungeons and Dragons Film."
"The Book of Vile Darkness: A Tale from Dungeons and Dragons"

Or

"The Crystal Shard: Part One of the Icewind Dale Trilogy" (regular D&D players would get it, and non-players would soon find out).

Just sayin'.

No-get a good director whose KNOWN and a one maybe 2 known actors and a good writer, it can overcome.

Say.......del Torro?

fenriswolf456

First Post
WHO says that? I dont even understand what that means.

From just the quote alone, I at first thought it was a PC who accidentally fell down into a pit, got up, brushed themselves off, and basically more eloquently said "Meant to do that." :p

Dungeons And Dragons 3 Trailer - YouTube

No, really....even I could have come up with better lines than that, for Dungeons & Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness. The only good thing is that line is almost meme worthy. Almost.

Oh fickle Fate, how you taunt me, foul temptress...

If only they could at least manage to be "good" bad ... but they can't even muster that. I'm sure this will be no different, and just be pure schlock and drivel.

Why do I put myself through such pain?

I'm not saying get Peter Jackson to do it........I'm just saying do a decent job and you will put D&D back in the public imagination with a good story based in it's iconic lore. To say nothing of the DVD sales, T-shirts, toys, and nick nacks including slurpee cups .....you will get more people to TRY the game than ever.

Albeit I dont know that I would want them to try 4E.......though some people like 4E. Perhaps, yes Hasbro/Wiz should focus on making a good 5th Edition that will last for at least a decade before thinking of movies.

Well, really, it would most likely be an entirely different group of people working on any sort of movie adaptation. What it really requires is someone in a pivotal position who has a driving passion to work with the material and put it to celluloid, be it a writer or director or whatever (with the caveat that the person also actually be good at that chosen vocation).

The big issue is that D&D itself isn't a story, it's just parts used to make up stories. So you can either attempt to tell an original story, like the current movies do, or you can try adapting novels, which will certainly have a better grounding for a story, but may not have the same appeal to everyone.

Why do I have thoughts now of a documentary/shakey-cam style movie following Elminster around as he messes around with low-level adventurers and hangs out with the Sisters?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
From just the quote alone, I at first thought it was a PC who accidentally fell down into a pit, got up, brushed themselves off, and basically more eloquently said "Meant to do that." :p

WOW.

WOW.

WOW.

Your interpretation is waaaaaay funnier. I'm gonna have to use that line now in that situation the next time it happens.

:hmm:

Albeit now it makes me wonder about the line from the trailer in context....

Remove ads