• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I hope 5E springs from SW Saga Edition

Pariah Silver

First Post
Yes, it is serious hate. Initially I was excited for Saga, eagerly flipping through the book as I found one awesome thing after another. Then I looked deeper.

I am not arguing against the broad classes with talents contained throughout for complexity and customization. The talent trees are indeed one of the few things about Saga that I still genuinely like (thematic issues such as the Jedi deflection ability aside).

Bonus feats are, however, not a class feature. Should never be a class feature. That is lazy. I digress.

The problems I'm talking about can of course be done away with using house rules. That however is only one half of the problem. The fact remains that the entire core of the game must be house-ruled in order for it to function with any semblance of logic. That means it is a bad game. A bad game should not be emulated.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
No, most of the problems you mentioned cna be taken away with better math, as someone stated.

Given skills are going to work differently I trust the new designers to get this right. But I would like them to base their ideas on the ideas of Saga.

I love:
1. Species/racial ability scores not having to be exactly matched with each other. Simply give a species race modifiers in what they are about. (Meaning penalties where they are due).
2. Thematic grouping of class powers (ie Talent Trees), and I have a thread on this, so enough here.
3. The subsystems of Force Powers, Talents, etc.
4. Class design. (Again, not talking about the Math - more what you get to start).
5. Damage Threshold and Condition Track. Awesome idea and finally a version where there is a chance you do get worse, rather than 'all good, all good, no I'm down', though that can still happen ;)
6. Multi-classing. 1 benefit, best of bonuses - no stacking.
7. Jedi felt special, but in my XP, not overly powerful. Our gunslingers and soldiers are having a blast(er :D) alongside them.
8. Force/Action points.
9. Second Wind 1/DAY. And healing in general, including limited uses of med kits and no 'reset' hps.
10. Prestige Classes - didn't make the class you were following obsolete - just opened up new TT's, and again better bonuses, but they don't stack.

There you go - I am sure there are more. Of course I would hope the designers of DnD Next would tweek things (especially the math, though we haven't had a great prob, but haven't played high level yet either), such as the Skill system, getting more Talents rather than Feats, etc, but the 'ideas' (and most of the implementation in my mind) would be a very good basis for DnD Next and some of the optional modules.

First: I apologize for the wall of text. I also apologize for the somewhat rant-like approach this takes, but I simply cannot discuss Saga Edition without becoming upset. It is, bar none, the single worst game system I have ever encountered.
It seems like a lot of the problems you had are with the execution of Saga, not the ideas themselves. Like it needed more development and playtesting. As you say, it's like the developers gave up and just moved on to 4E which got a lot more attention. So, if ideas from Sage made it into 5E, they would probably finally get the rules design attention they deserved.

Remove ads