D&D 5E I just don't see why they even bothered with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Hussar

Legend
You did not quote anyone for that point at all, you just said, "people are talking about..." However you specified the exact conversation we had previously (down to the number of players). I looked, and I was the only one you replied to previously with that same composition that you mentioned that I could find (though I could have missed someone).

Who has said it is common? I looked...I didn't see anyone describe it that way. Maybe I missed it. Can you cite to someone describing it as common?

Your claim that people are describing it as common, as opposed to just giving you examples from their experience. It seems like a strawman.

Why are people giving examples if it is not to counter my point? If your example is to simply say some people play more than one edition I agree 100% with you. But that hardly counters my point that most players don't play more than one edition.

So, why are you bringing up your anecdotes?

Mirtek

Hero
No, it is not. How company X pays taxes on the money they earn from a Kickstarter does not classify the type of service that Kickstarter itself offers.
what kickstarter offers is irrelevant. What happend between the company and customer in kickstarter was a sale

Putting money down as part of an agreement that you'll receive something in exchange for it is a matter of contract law, and that goes with regard to anything where there's an exchange of something of value. In other words, that type of deal has a scope that covers more than just retail transactions. Trying to say that anything that involves the exchange of money where something is expected is necessarily a matter of retail sales is disingenuous.
selling a specific good to an endcustomer is
Absolutely wrong. There are many other types of transactions where money changes hands with the expectation that you'll receive something for it. You can donate to a charity and get a book of stamps from them for having done so, but it's still tax-deductible.
how is legally Seen and taxed in both ends depends on the legal status if the seller and the value of the stamps. If it's too close to the donation it ceases to be a donation. Organisations have fallen in this "trap" in the past

You keep operating under the principle that things that are similar are therefore identical. That's not the case.
you are operating und er the assumption that KS created a hitherto unknown type if transaction while the existing rules covered it from day one down to demanding sales taxes on pledged money
You also don't buy a product from them,
i do. I am buying the reward specified at my pledge level.
You're not helping your case by stating what it's not; you need to actually support what it is,
you haven't either. Fund is not a type of legal transaction.
and you haven't done that yet.
i told you where its und er us-gaap that defines it and not some Mission&vision statement in a webpage

If 5k people pledged in the level where they receive a copy if your finished product and a limited backer pi, you have sold 5k products and pin as far as the state is concerned.
You do realize that this completely flies in the face of them being a retailer, right?
no it doesn't. There are many retailers selling products that are made to order (cars, tailored clothing, customer made furniture)
Unless you think that retail stores also are a "special sort of employment contract."
depends in the store. My local grocery store not, my local tailor custom-fitting my suit from the cloth wie selected together yes. Both are retailers though

Which means that they're not a retailer.
no but the companies using the Plattform engaga in retailing

No, it's designed to give its users the opportunity to seek funds to create something
which tgey primarily do by making retail sales of their product to backers
, or pledge funds to help it be created.
which is a neglible part if any Fund Raider, those are the pledges without any reward attached beyond a honorable mentioning somewhere.

These are classified differently in trade law.
Again, this has already been demonstrated to be untrue; just having "legal rights and obligations" does not meet the (so far not cited by you) "legal definition" of what constitutes a "pre-order."

By the by, there's no listing for "pre-order" (or "preorder") at Black's Law Dictionary. So when you keep leaning on the "legal definition" of the term, you're not at all on solid ground.
See purchase order

Flat-out incorrect. It's not depriving those other outlets of the opportunity to compete with them for that product because that product does not yet exist. [ /quote] Yet they are changing their existing distribution model by selling their new product directly to endcustomer instead if ging through their traditional retailers who no longer gain business

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Thanks. I'm quite familiar with the world I'm in.

Oh, I think you need to check again, if you're posting stuff like the following:

I'll now go back to perusing threads where the discussion hasn't devolved into someone saying "nuh-uh" and "prove it" while themselves adopting a stance that cannot be proven.

Because it's just so unfair that some people want evidence for the things that other people assert, and can't be held to prove a negative themselves.

Although you can prove the people in this thread wrong. Simply link to a study that shows their assertion that retail stores have been negatively impacted by kickstarter is incorrect. You've chosen to limit your involvement into this thread by not doing so while simultaneously claiming that he is wrong. I see you clarified your stance to be "I am not saying people are wrong. I am simply saying they have not proven their position" which contributes very little to the conversation and certainly doesn't need as many posts as you've chosen to devote to it.

Again, you're calling for a negative to be proved, even though you claim to know that that isn't something that can be done in the world you're familiar with.

Some people are asserting that Kickstarter is necessarily having a harmful impact on retailers (because Kickstarter is a retailer itself). I'm holding that this isn't the case, since the premise that Kickstarter is a retailer is wrong. That's separate (though related) to asking them to prove their claim of harm done to retailers by Kickstarter.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You made a claim that kickstarter projects end up being sold in stores.

No, I noted that some Kickstarter projects end up in stores, which further undercuts the whole "competing as another retailer" argument.

I asked you to tell me how many projects end up in stores. You replied with asking me for some other random stats.

In other words, you asked me for some random stat, and when I pointed out that a different statistic was more germane, you failed to provide it.

Trying to not be frustrated by your childness I looked it up and provided two estimates.

If you see any childishness here, it's the reflection of your own. That's evidenced by the fact that you yourself called for "cited sources" and then provided statistics with no citation at all.

You still never bothered to answer the question about your original claim, and I have full faith that you never will.

You still haven't cited sources for the numbers you provided, and I have total certainty that you never will. If you want to complain that others aren't meeting a standard, you first need to meet it yourself.

garnuk

First Post
Some people are asserting that Kickstarter is necessarily having a harmful impact on retailers (because Kickstarter is a retailer itself). I'm holding that this isn't the case, since the premise that Kickstarter is a retailer is wrong.

Can you quote where that argument is made? I wasn't following entirely, but I was under the impression that the argument was as follows: Kickstarter cuts out retailers, and thus harms their business, as people spend money buying things wholesale instead via Kickstarter.

garnuk

First Post
You still haven't cited sources for the numbers you provided, and I have total certainty that you never will. If you want to complain that others aren't meeting a standard, you first need to meet it yourself.

My sources was the combined reading of the "Crowdsourcing industry report of 2014 from the Canada Crowdsourcing magazine, Blog posts from various newspapers and magazines talking about the new phenomenon, and comparing those to article and blog posts about the affects of online retail stores like Amazon on brick and mortar stores in general. From those articles, it said that 98% of kickstarter projects end up being sold in online stores, and the crowdsourcing magazine spoke how every business and sector has been impacted by crowdsourcing as users have less money to spend in retail during the holidays.

It was a single source, so I provided my estimates. I won't hold my breath for you to actually answer any questions posed to you without some sort of odd, debate retort.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
what kickstarter offers is irrelevant.

Incorrect. It's what's most relevant by far.

What happend between the company and customer in kickstarter was a sale

No, it wasn't. What happened between the patron and the company was the patron paying to fund a project.

selling a specific good to an endcustomer is

Which isn't what happens with Kickstarter projects.

how is legally Seen and taxed in both ends depends on the legal status if the seller and the value of the stamps. If it's too close to the donation it ceases to be a donation. Organisations have fallen in this "trap" in the past

You still haven't proven that something that's taxed as income necessarily indicates that the transaction was a retail purchase. Without making that correlation (which you're not able to make) your entire tangent of "but the tax code!" doesn't hold water. If you have to admit that there's an exception, due to other instances of giving money and receiving something for it in return, then your entire argument falls apart.

you are operating und er the assumption that KS created a hitherto unknown type if transaction while the existing rules covered it from day one down to demanding sales taxes on pledged money

See above. The method of taxation does not necessarily indicate the type of transaction that took place. We know this to be true, because (as already noted) there are other types of "money for stuff" transactions that are not taxed as income. Not that that matters, because the taxation on funding does not, unto itself, make the platform a retail outlet.

i do. I am buying the reward specified at my pledge level.

No, you don't. You're not "buying" anything. You're receiving a reward in exchange for having funded something else.

you haven't either. Fund is not a type of legal transaction.

False equivalence. I'm not the one relying on legal jargon to try and make a crowd-funding platform into a retailer.

i told you where its und er us-gaap that defines it and not some Mission&vision statement in a webpage

If 5k people pledged in the level where they receive a copy if your finished product and a limited backer pi, you have sold 5k products and pin as far as the state is concerned.

No, not as far as the state is concerned. The state is only concerned with how much money you've earned and how much of that they get. That doesn't mean that they're classifying the type of outlet where the transaction took place. You can't seem to follow that particular point.

no it doesn't. There are many retailers selling products that are made to order (cars, tailored clothing, customer made furniture)

Yes, it does. You previously admitted that they weren't a retail outlet via saying that they were facilitating employment contracts; that's different from a store that sells products. If you commission something from someone, that person does not become your employee.

depends in the store. My local grocery store not, my local tailor custom-fitting my suit from the cloth wie selected together yes. Both are retailers though

In neither case do they actually work for you, the way you're asserting that the companies that use Kickstarter become employed by the people who fund them.

no but the companies using the Plattform engaga in retailing

No, by definition the companies using the platform do not (and cannot) engage in retailing.

which tgey primarily do by making retail sales of their product to backers
which is a neglible part if any Fund Raider, those are the pledges without any reward attached beyond a honorable mentioning somewhere.

These are classified differently in trade law.

There's so many "Lara Croft, Fund Raider" jokes that I don't know where to begin. :D

That said, they do this by having individuals fund them, and while they might offer rewards in return for this, no retail sales are taking place. Even if they are entering into a legal contract to provide those rewards at a later date, that's still not the same as a retail sale.

See purchase order

Which is you moving the goalposts, since you were citing the "legal definition of a pre-order" before.

As it is, a "purchase order" is simply a contract regarding a fiscal transaction, and does not classify either party as being a "retailer" per se.

Yet they are changing their existing distribution model by selling their new product directly to end customer instead if ging through their traditional retailers who no longer gain business

Except that they're not "selling" anything, since no sales are taking place. Likewise, this does not change the existing distribution model since by the time rewards are delivered it is no longer possible to acquire anything from Kickstarter anyway. So by the time stores would receive those products (if they ever were), Kickstarter is self-evidently not an alternative venue.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Can you quote where that argument is made? I wasn't following entirely, but I was under the impression that the argument was as follows: Kickstarter cuts out retailers, and thus harms their business, as people spend money buying things wholesale instead via Kickstarter.

I'm going to assume that you're asking for a quote with regards to people asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet, since you seem to grant that the alternative topic (that Kickstarter harms retailers) is being made.

With that regard, I'll direct you to Mirtek's post where he says:

Mirtek said:
Providing the servie that makes crowdfunding easier is not, but the act of crowdfunding (which is not what kickstarter does) is nothing but a form of retailing that the companies using the KS platform engage in

So that's at least one person asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet that companies use.

Remove ads