D&D 5E I just watched Aladdin: Return of Jafar and I really want Al Qadim 5e

Maybe after Oriental Adventures WotC could publish a "1001 Nights" with pantheons from Mesopotamian and neighbours zones, for the yahiliyyah ( = "age of ignorance", pre-islamic times). And I suggest to add the highest number of supernatural factions because it is more confortable to use fantasy monsters as antagonists than groups what make us to remember some sad facts from real world, for example dragons (infiltrated as merchants), giants, genies (whose daughters are infiltrated in the harems as favorite concubines), lovecraftian cults, abomination invaders from the Far Realm, defiler spellcasters, sentient constructs who rebel against their creators (and they go to the dessert where they don't need food nor water and they don't want visits), lord feys, angry wraiths of concubines killed in harem intrigues, corsairs in skyships, mutants created by experiments about life-shape technology, "road warriors" like the fantasy version of Mad Max (can you imagine the menace of automobile vehicles whose spirit awakes and becomes sentient?).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I just watched the Aladdin Hecules Cross over episode Hecules in Arabia, and realized the weird truth of Agrabah is that it's religion must be Hellenistic because Jafar's soul goes to Hades, not to the Muslim Hell. This makes sense if you think of Agrabah as being a preIslamic Arabian city during a period of Hellenization. A lot of People don't realize how far the Ancient Greek religion had spread. There are Greek Temples as far as the Indian subcontinent, all the way to Spain, so a Hellenized Arabian city makes a strange kind of sense. It is also why you never see Mosques or Hijabs in Agrabah, they practice an Arabian style version of the Hellenism.

Agrabah has far more Indian symbolism than it does Arabic so I’ve always thought that it was more likely to be found somewhere North of India (or in Persia).
The original story said Allladin was from one of the cities of China (which I assume means the Muslim parts of China/Central Asia (Afghanistan/Tajikstan/Pakistan)), but the movies look and assumptions a probably more Persia

Having it be a Hellenized Persian city works well to explain a few anomolies...

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just watched the Aladdin Hecules Cross over episode Hecules in Arabia, and realized the weird truth of Agrabah is that it's religion must be Hellenistic because Jafar's soul goes to Hades, not to the Muslim Hell. This makes sense if you think of Agrabah as being a preIslamic Arabian city during a period of Hellenization. A lot of People don't realize how far the Ancient Greek religion had spread. There are Greek Temples as far as the Indian subcontinent, all the way to Spain, so a Hellenized Arabian city makes a strange kind of sense. It is also why you never see Mosques or Hijabs in Agrabah, they practice an Arabian style version of the Hellenism.
Or Jafar was a Hermetic Mystic who offered tribute to Hades in exchange for esoteric knowledge.

Because the Sultan in the 1st movie references Allah in a way that wouldn’t make sense for a Hellenistic pagan.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Or Jafar was a Hermetic Mystic who offered tribute to Hades in exchange for esoteric knowledge.

Because the Sultan in the 1st movie references Allah in a way that wouldn’t make sense for a Hellenistic pagan.
al-lah means ‘The god’ and was used by pagans and Christians in Arabia in the generations before Mohammad.
The Sultans use of the term still works in that context

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
al-lah means ‘The god’ and was used by pagans and Christians in Arabia in the generations before Mohammad.
The Sultans use of the term still works in that context
The way he used it was more in line with how Christians and Muslims use it, ie referring a singular god.

gyor

Legend
Agrabah has far more Indian symbolism than it does Arabic so I’ve always thought that it was more likely to be found somewhere North of India (or in Persia).
The original story said Alladin was one of the cities of China (which I assume means the Muslim Parts of Central Asia (Afghanistan/Tajikstan/Pakistan)), but the movies look and assumptions a probably more Persia

Having it be a Hellenized Persian city works well to explain a few anomolies...

Exactly, I mean Arabian Nights is a lot bigger then just the original Arabian q say,
Hijabs were introduced in the 1940's, and are neither historical nor mythic for Islam.

I had no idea!

Remove ads