I love AD&D

The Highway Man

First Post

T1-4 is good, but honestly, for in your face ass-kicking unstoppable AD&D awesome, you cannot beat G123 AGAINST THE GIANTS. Yes, it takes seasoned characters to play (and win!), but leveling them slowly through N1 AGAINST THE CULT OF THE REPTILE GOD, then a truncated SLAVERS campaign (A1,A2 and A3) plus emphasizing that they need some handy men at arms, and the GIANTS series is really, really top of the heap.

I get where you're going with this, delver. I think it really depends on what the DM, in particular, is searching for. If the DM wants a clear "adventure path" of sorts, your suggestion N1/A1-3/G1-3 absolutely makes sense. If the DM wants a loose frame on which to build his own adventures/campaign, however, it's hard to beat T1-4.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I get where you're going with this, delver. I think it really depends on what the DM, in particular, is searching for. If the DM wants a clear "adventure path" of sorts, your suggestion N1/A1-3/G1-3 absolutely makes sense. If the DM wants a loose frame on which to build his own adventures/campaign, however, it's hard to beat T1-4.

Well, I think we could go back and forth; both have an equal amount of adventure pathyness to them. Ultimately what's needed for either is a good Dungeon Master and four to eight folks willing to have a blast, regardless.

I think T1-4 is the folk music end of the spectrum, whereas G123 is the full on in your face death metal.

Although Gary would probably have eschewed either description. :)

TheNovaLord

First Post
did have a rawness lost in todays polish and balance

as all paladins for example where basically the same it was the character that was most important, rather than the build.

N1, I6, L1 and L2..being some of my fav mods.

I too like gygax use of language....milleu just being a fab word, he seemed to use a lot.

Hussar

Legend
The one thing that I do very much miss from the 1e (and possibly early 2e days) is how the writers rarely took the game too seriously. There were all sorts of jokes and whatnot going on in just about every published book or module. From the cartoons in the 1e DMG (One false step and the familiar gets it!) to the pictures in the Monster Manual (the blank pic for the invisible stalker always made me giggle) to all sorts of whacky weirdness like Earthshaker (Communist gnomes driving a mountain sized robot).

That's one thing that I do think is missing from later era D&D is a willingness to laugh at ourselves. Reading those old books, I always got the sense that the writers were very much tongue in cheek almost all the time.

I miss the goofy.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Oh I don't miss the fun stuff of AD&D at all - it didn't go anywhere.

(checking my DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE)

Nope! The Bill McLean cartoons are all still intact!

:D

FriarRosing

First Post
A curious thing happened to me today. My group and I had just finished up a session of 4th edition, and we were talking about what we liked and didn't like about the game. And then, much to my surprise, my World of Warcraft addict said he liked 1st edition the best. We had never played AD&D, actually--it was a Rules Cyclopedia game--but he stated that he felt it was the best in terms of roleplaying and storytelling, and that the newer editions' game aspects were just too obvious. It really surprised and amused me, and it makes me want to run an AD&D game. He's the kind of guy who would probably love the assassin.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
A curious thing happened to me today. My group and I had just finished up a session of 4th edition, and we were talking about what we liked and didn't like about the game. And then, much to my surprise, my World of Warcraft addict said he liked 1st edition the best. We had never played AD&D, actually--it was a Rules Cyclopedia game--but he stated that he felt it was the best in terms of roleplaying and storytelling, and that the newer editions' game aspects were just too obvious. It really surprised and amused me, and it makes me want to run an AD&D game. He's the kind of guy who would probably love the assassin.

I say: give it a spin. You can pick the books up for a couple of bucks from amazon resellers.

Remove ads