I love AD&D

Humanaut

First Post
Just gotta add my two bits, that I'm really digging this thread. I skipped over 2e and 3e. Although recently (past 2 yrs) we've given 3.5 a try. I wonder if after this campaign they'd wanna jump back to my ADnD game...

Over the years the old adventures that have been requested to be "run again" have been S3, G1-3 and T1-4. I tweek them every time to keep it somewhat "new". We always have a blast!

Game On!

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Just gotta add my two bits, that I'm really digging this thread. I skipped over 2e and 3e. Although recently (past 2 yrs) we've given 3.5 a try. I wonder if after this campaign they'd wanna jump back to my ADnD game...

Over the years the old adventures that have been requested to be "run again" have been S3, G1-3 and T1-4. I tweek them every time to keep it somewhat "new". We always have a blast!

Game On!

Oh yeah, you've gotta throw a few curves in there - don't want the players of old modules getting complacent. The last run through of the "G" series had Nosnra using the javelins of lightning like pub darts on the players!

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
I've got a couple of friends that I've introduced to gaming in the recent past, and they've been asking me when we are going to play again.

I've been seriously considering 1E, but I'm not sure how to sell them on the idea.

Anyone have any experience with this situation? Do I need a lengthy explanation on why 1E is fun, or should I just let the game speak for itself?

Their gaming experience includes Marvel FASERIP and Castles & Crusades, but they haven't been playing for long.

If/when this game gets off of the ground, they'll start at 1st level, probably with The Keep on the Borderlands, and when they reach 8th-9th level, I plan on running them through the Giants series.

And to add my voice with others, AD&D is indeed awesome.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Anyone have any experience with this situation? Do I need a lengthy explanation on why 1E is fun, or should I just let the game speak for itself?
In my experience of "converting" people to AD&D, definitely the latter. I avoid any lengthy speech and just tell them, I think this game is pretty cool... why don't we try it?

I've got a couple of friends that I've introduced to gaming in the recent past, and they've been asking me when we are going to play again.

I've been seriously considering 1E, but I'm not sure how to sell them on the idea.

Their gaming experience includes Marvel FASERIP and Castles & Crusades, but they haven't been playing for long.

If/when this game gets off of the ground, they'll start at 1st level, probably with The Keep on the Borderlands, and when they reach 8th-9th level, I plan on running them through the Giants series.

And to add my voice with others, AD&D is indeed awesome.

If your players love the adventures more than character building, and tweaking then they should enjoy AD&D. If they had fun with the C&C games then AD&D will not be a huge leap for them.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
In my experience of "converting" people to AD&D, definitely the latter. I avoid any lengthy speech and just tell them, I think this game is pretty cool... why don't we try it?

If your players love the adventures more than character building, and tweaking then they should enjoy AD&D. If they had fun with the C&C games then AD&D will not be a huge leap for them.

Thanks to you both. :)

Ulrick

First Post
AD&D is organic. It grew and evolved over time. Play experience varied from DM to DM who each could tailor the game to his or her tastes. The rules were more like guidelines and Gygax's way of saying "Here's a bunch of cool stuff I used, you don't have to use them, but here they are to use as you see fit!"

AD&D is about playing the game with skill instead of character building and showing off cool powers. In AD&D, cool powers mattered little in the Tomb of Horrors, cool powers would not decipher the code found in the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, cool powers would make you seem like a bigger threat to Strahd in the Ravenloft module--who would throw more minions at you. AD&D emphasized player skill, rather than character powers.

And these are just a couple more reasons why AD&D is awesome.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
AD&D is organic. It grew and evolved over time. Play experience varied from DM to DM who each could tailor the game to his or her tastes. The rules were more like guidelines and Gygax's way of saying "Here's a bunch of cool stuff I used, you don't have to use them, but here they are to use as you see fit!"

AD&D is about playing the game with skill instead of character building and showing off cool powers. In AD&D, cool powers mattered little in the Tomb of Horrors, cool powers would not decipher the code found in the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, cool powers would make you seem like a bigger threat to Strahd in the Ravenloft module--who would throw more minions at you. AD&D emphasized player skill, rather than character powers.

And these are just a couple more reasons why AD&D is awesome.

I'd say something pithy like "You win the thread" or the like but we're not having any kind of debate or flamewar...so I will rather say that's the most right thing I've seen in a long time when it comes to AD&D.

Remove ads