• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I love the 5e Succubus

dream66_

First Post
Ok, if that's where we're going, truthfully mine as a teenager was the 2e Nereid in the Monster manual

waterkin.gif

So much confusion on I don't know if I want to be with her or BE her.

jrowland

First Post
"...And verily did the sages of gathered at the great convocation of ENWORLD argue over the "true nature" of the cosmos. And so young apprentice, that is why I cannot describe the cosmos to you: Nobody truly knows."

GameDoc

Explorer
That conjuring wizardess was the girl your take out on Saturday. The cute elven archer in the "Dragonslayers" piece by Elmore was the girl next door you take home to meet mom.

Back on topic - where are you getting the information on the new Succubus/Incubus (and Eyrines).

Last edited:

dream66_

First Post
That conjuring wizardess was the girl your take out on Saturday. The cute elven archer in the "Dragonslayers" piece by Elmore was the girl next door you take home to meet mom.

Back on topic - where are you getting the information on the new Succubus/Incubus (and Eyrines).

Well, if you're gonna talk Elmore, I see you're archer, and raise you the cleric on the cover of Dragon 140

As for on topic, some lucky people already have their MM from gencon.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
From the last dozen posts, it appears that many of you in this thread are succumbing to the succubus's tempations... again.... B-)

Drammattex

First Post
The 4e ecology informed the 5e MM. That ecology strived to bring the succubus/incubus closer to its roots in mythology and folklore while reconciling the conflict in its demon/devil background in D&D (very challenging).
I had the opportunity to do the 4e incubus (Demonomicon) and 4e succubus ecology (Dragon Magazine), so when the succubus/incubus ended up among my assigned monsters for the 5e MM, I was pleased. I was more pleased when the main points the story team and D&D community wanted from the succubus/incubus more or less aligned with that work. Big thanks to the community for choosing those details and bringing the succubus/incubus home to its real world mythology.

gyor

Legend
The 4e ecology informed the 5e MM. That ecology strived to bring the succubus/incubus closer to its roots in mythology and folklore while reconciling the conflict in its demon/devil background in D&D (very challenging).
I had the opportunity to do the 4e incubus (Demonomicon) and 4e succubus ecology (Dragon Magazine), so when the succubus/incubus ended up among my assigned monsters for the 5e MM, I was pleased. I was more pleased when the main points the story team and D&D community wanted from the succubus/incubus more or less aligned with that work. Big thanks to the community for choosing those details and bringing the succubus/incubus home to its real world mythology.

Yes, I liked it, its the best verison of the Succubus I've seen, by freeing it from past constraints, aka being a demon or devil, you have created a situtuation where you can tie Succubi into infernal and Abyssal politics, giving a nod to past influences, but also to completely new directions, like serving Yugoloths, or other fiendish races/horrors.

Plus thier is the possiblity of creating a Succubus hierarchy, with thier own fiendish paragons, and promotions.

I also like the mythological nod with the ethereal stalking mortals in while they sleep thing. And the three betrayals lore.

Still it leaves me with questions, like what happens to previous succubi promotions like Brachina and Lilitu, do they stay demons and devils or are they apart of the revolution too?

And what stops Succubi/Incubi from just setting up a Aerie on the Material Plane and breeding a hoard of them?

And who did the art, its the best Incubus and Succubus art of D&D and my favourite 5e art?

gyor

Legend
I can see how the 4e ecology of the Succubus article informed the 5e succubus, although there seem key differences.

Angels aren't reference, but its only a single page vs. an article and 4e angels haven't made an appearance in 5e, yet.

Succubi detached from devils can now breed and it appears to be the primary was they reproduce vs. evil souls like most other fiends, so that's a big difference because it frees them more from the lower planes then other fiends.

Of course they can now be found on all lower planes in service to all manner of evil, but your 4e article was inching in that direction anyways.

The succubus companion isn't present, but its not hard to update the idea to your 5e succubi.

And redeemed succubi are even easier to do in 5e, a Good Aligned being raises a baby succubi.

The Abyssal Incubus, which thematically seemed influenced by the 3e incubus, aka not just male vs. Female, but violent rapists, vs seducers. This doesn't appear apparent in the 5e succubus and there is no beast shapes.

Dispite not being the most powerful fiends, the breeding means they can invade any realms and grow in numbers in time, which in one way makes them the scarest of fiends who depend more on damned souls to build thier numbers up.

One thing I wasn't as big on, its the whole undertone of chaste=good, lust=evil, which is an outdated ideal of morality. I'd have made the Angels of Love more free love hippy idealists, prosex angels instead of love as chaste and asexual. I do get you were just following the traditional moral paradigm.

And the art in the 4e article was good too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads