I really don't think it should be called the "ORC license"

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Im trying to, but nobody can really be largely successful doing it unless they reskin 5E. 🤷‍♂️
You say that like it's a bad thing. :cool: Esper Genesis , a 5E system, is one of the best sci-fi RPGs I've played (and I've played quite a few). It has the added bonus of a low learning curve for my existing gaming group, too.

The 5E SRD is a lot more versatile and customizable than people give it credit for, and I'm happy that it's headed toward the Creative Commons. Who knows what kinds of game genres we're going to see using the 5E SRD in the next few years?

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Im trying to, but nobody can really be largely successful doing it unless they reskin 5E. 🤷‍♂️
Why do they (the company I suppose you mean?) need to be "largely successful" for you to play a game.

Also there are more non D&D derivative games than there ever have been, from rules lite one page RPGs like Lazers and Feelings to massive complex crunch fests like HERO 6E.

Is it lamentable that D&D is so dominant? I guess. But there are so many games readily available that anyone who really wants to play something else can.

And sure, finding players can be hard. I empathize with that. I just struggled to put together a Starfinder group and it isn't even that far removed. But, on the upside, I now have 2 new friends to make because I needed butts in chairs!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Why do they (the company I suppose you mean?) need to be "largely successful" for you to play a game.

Also there are more non D&D derivative games than there ever have been, from rules lite one page RPGs like Lazers and Feelings to massive complex crunch fests like HERO 6E.

Is it lamentable that D&D is so dominant? I guess. But there are so many games readily available that anyone who really wants to play something else can.

And sure, finding players can be hard. I empathize with that. I just struggled to put together a Starfinder group and it isn't even that far removed. But, on the upside, I now have 2 new friends to make because I needed butts in chairs!
The struggle is real thanks for the empathy.

In Georgia, we only have Coke and the person asks what flavor you want, and you would have to say Sunkist if you wanted some non-Coke.

Same with coffee when I go to Starbucks and they ask what flavor coffee. I should not have to specify coffee flavored coffee, black, hot, medium.
Ah, a fellow Georgian :) I've lived all over, and I still have to adjust when back in Georgia to making sure that I specify what type of soda I want (I only ever use Coke in the house or at my parents').

However, there's only one kind of tea here, and I'll die on that hill: If you ask for tea in GA, you're getting cold syrup. Anything else is by special request. Nothing irks me more than asking for sweet tea in other parts of the country and being told, "We have unsweetened iced tea, and I can give you a packet of sugar." Just say you don't have it. The sugar (or Splenda, which is what I use at home) has to be added when the tea is hot.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Network effects. Right now it's really easy to get a group of gamers together to play D&D because, even with edition changes, everyone knows what hitpoints are and knows a dwarf fighter, human cleric, elf wizard, and halfling rogue makes a feasible party. They know a wizard deals out damage per second, a fighter protects the front line, a cleric heals, and a rogue disarms traps and opens doors. They know a dragon is more dangerous than an ogre, which is more dangerous than a goblin.

If you have four players and one GM, each of whom knows a different OGL system, it's a little trickier.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Ah, a fellow Georgian :) I've lived all over, and I still have to adjust when back in Georgia to making sure that I specify what type of soda I want (I only ever use Coke in the house or at my parents').

However, there's only one kind of tea here, and I'll die on that hill: If you ask for tea in GA, you're getting cold syrup. Anything else is by special request. Nothing irks me more than asking for sweet tea in other parts of the country and being told, "We have unsweetened iced tea, and I can give you a packet of sugar." Just say you don't have it. The sugar (or Splenda, which is what I use at home) has to be added when the tea is hot.

Why, you want unsweet tea? Bless your cotton socks. Let's see what we can rustle up.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I also emphasize, I remember the old days where people played more different systems.

Though, I think the link between the name of the license somehow affecting the genre of the games that use it to be tenuous. Like, do most people read the OGL in the back of the book? Did the name "OGL" have any effect on the genres within it?

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Speaking for myself only, I have found it relatively easy to get people to play one-shots (or short "campaigns" - that last no more than 3-4 sessions) of all sorts of games. It's why I've been able to explore so many rules-lite and one-page games, and have created a bunch of my own for home use. None of those is traditional fantasy.

But just like most people, I struggle to sell people on playing other games for anything more than that. Any campaign has to be D&D. I don't know what it is- obviously, it's not a "learning rules" issue because people are fine doing it just for a single game. I just can't get them to commit to a real campaign of anything that isn't D&D/fantasy.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Speaking for myself only, I have found it relatively easy to get people to play one-shots (or short "campaigns" - that last no more than 3-4 sessions) of all sorts of games. It's why I've been able to explore so many rules-lite and one-page games, and have created a bunch of my own for home use. None of those is traditional fantasy.

But just like most people, I struggle to sell people on playing other games for anything more than that. Any campaign has to be D&D. I don't know what it is- obviously, it's not a "learning rules" issue because people are fine doing it just for a single game. I just can't get them to commit to a real campaign of anything that isn't D&D/fantasy.
I've had limited luck with this too. I say limited because often folks go all D&D in anything they play.

Remove ads