D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the topic of "why is killing in games fun?" is worthwhile. Not just rpgs, but any games. Like in videogames, even games like mario, to defeat something is to harm or kill it, even when abstracted. Chess is a game that involves killing of opponent pieces. etc. One thing I've noticed in dnd is that killing inside and outside of initiative feels very different, with the former feeling more fun and less meaningful and the latter having increased emotional/psychological stakes to a certain degree.
I think it has to do with the abstraction that gamification creates. In the combat minigame, your “enemies” are ultimately just obstacles, which you permanently remove from play by “killing” them. Outside of that minigame, the enemies are narrative figures as well as gameplay obstacles, so killing them naturally carries more narrative weight.

You see this kind of thing in video games too. When you drop the villain’s health down low enough and the game gets interrupted by a cutscene where they surrender, and you’re given the choice to spare them or finish the job, the game usually frames the former as the morally better choice, especially if the game has any sort of karma point system. But, such games almost never give you that choice to spare or kill the hundreds of nameless mooks you kill throughout the rest of the game, and you never get dark side points for it. Because you’re not really supposed to think of them as people you’re killing, just obstacles you’re removing from play.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases