• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I, Robot Trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
dreaded_beast said:
I, Robot, based on the Issac Asimov novel, starring Wil Smith.

I love the novel and I like Wil Smith.

Um, I, Robot isn't a novel. It is a collection of short stories.

Given that, I never expected the movie to match the book. It is a summer-release movie with Will Smith. That tells you it is an action flick. Since Asimov didn't write anything like a summer blockbuster movies, it obviously must at best be an "inspired by" thing. It may use some elements derived from Asimov's writings, but it sure won't be just like a story from the book.

Given that I don't expect it to be like the book, I may well enjoy the movie. I've long ago given up my indignation at Hollywood using a classic sci-fi title for a movie that doesn't resemble the classic.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
This looks like a complete train wreck.

It is not based on any of the stories in I, Robot. Where's Susan Calvin? Robots rebeling... wha?

Heck, it isn't even based on the original I, Robot by Eando Binder!

The Auld Grump, who liked Adam Link... does any one else remember the series?

Last edited:

LeapingShark

First Post
I'm not familiar with the story, I've only seen the trailer. Looks great to me. I can't wait to see it. :D Should be the best action movie this summer, outside of perhaps Spidey. The only problem with the trailer is that they "appear" to have revealed most of the plot progression and left little room for surprises (as usual for in-theater trailers).

NeoSamurai

First Post
BTW, it is pushing the Asimov connection. The trailer mentions the Three Laws of Robotics. I've only seen that emphasized in The Bicentenial Man (another Asimov adaption) movie.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Umbran said:
Um, I, Robot isn't a novel. It is a collection of short stories.

Yes, I know that I,Robot isn't a novel in the technical sense ;)

However, there is a version of I,Robot that links all the stories together. I believe the premise is that Susan Calvin is being interviewed by a reporter and she is the one "telling" the stories. Susan Calvin doesn't tell each story but alludes to the story while speaking with the reporter, then we get to read the actual short story. Between each short story, the reporter interrupts Susan Calvin and asks her opinion about the events in the short story or if she believes the story is true. Or something along those lines.

Arnwyn

First Post
In my books, Will Smith is quickly becoming synonymous with "horrid adaptations" (regardless of it being the studio's fault - which it is).

It's less and less likely I'm willing to see a movie with him in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads