I saw a Ghostbuster and it was good (spoilers)

MarkB

Legend
No, I generally do too. You would think that the Marvel movies, if not "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", would have trained more people to stick around until after the credits. Besides, I'm always trying to see if anyone I know was crew.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 being the ultimate example. Even aside from the multiple mid/end-credits scenes, there's not a moment of that movie's credits that isn't entertaining.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not nearly as funny as Answer the Call but I think, more than any other films in the franchise, this wasn't intending to be a comedy so much as a "Kids on Bikes"-esque adventure, and it's a solid entry in it. The pacing and plotting were all over the place, but then it's a Ghostbusters movie.

Honestly, I couldn't make it all the through my most recent re-watch of the original. There's a ton of things from 80's that don't hold up (merchandise-first cartoons, waterbeds, reaganomics, etc.) but adult comedy is probably the top of the list, and for however much Ghostbusters is inextricably linked to your child (certainly true for me!) it was distinctly an adult comedy from 80's (not as bad as some of the more explicitly raunchy comedies ala Revenge of the Nerds et. al. but probably worse than you remember if you haven't seen it in a good long while). But I'll be damned if every moment of fanservice in Afterlife didn't still hit me right in the feels. Watching Bill Murray effortlessly drop back into 100% classic Venkman (a character I came to loathe in my last re-watch) filled my heart with joy in ways I cannot begin to understand, let alone explain. Which makes it probably crass manipulation at best on the part of the film.

9/10 would recommend.

e: I'll echo that the full Deep Fake Egon was a little too much; if they had just kept it to a pair of spectral arms helping guide Phoebe it would have :chef's kiss:

Ryujin

Legend
I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not nearly as funny as Answer the Call but I think, more than any other films in the franchise, this wasn't intending to be a comedy so much as a "Kids on Bikes"-esque adventure, and it's a solid entry in it. The pacing and plotting were all over the place, but then it's a Ghostbusters movie.

Honestly, I couldn't make it all the through my most recent re-watch of the original. There's a ton of things from 80's that don't hold up (merchandise-first cartoons, waterbeds, reaganomics, etc.) but adult comedy is probably the top of the list, and for however much Ghostbusters is inextricably linked to your child (certainly true for me!) it was distinctly an adult comedy from 80's (not as bad as some of the more explicitly raunchy comedies ala Revenge of the Nerds et. al. but probably worse than you remember if you haven't seen it in a good long while). But I'll be damned if every moment of fanservice in Afterlife didn't still hit me right in the feels. Watching Bill Murray effortlessly drop back into 100% classic Venkman (a character I came to loathe in my last re-watch) filled my heart with joy in ways I cannot begin to understand, let alone explain. Which makes it probably crass manipulation at best on the part of the film.

9/10 would recommend.

e: I'll echo that the full Deep Fake Egon was a little too much; if they had just kept it to a pair of spectral arms helping guide Phoebe it would have :chef's kiss:
If you really want to see '80s adult comedies be ruined, watch any of them on TBS. The Turner versions remove anything smacking of raunch. For example in "Revenge of the Nerds" you will have no idea why the sorority girl is suddenly on the nerds' side, toward the end of the movie.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, I generally do too. You would think that the Marvel movies, if not "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", would have trained more people to stick around until after the credits. Besides, I'm always trying to see if anyone I know was crew.
That's the only reason I will look at credits, and I generally know in advance that they worked on it. The rest of the time and when nobody has worked I know worked on the movie, I zone. I just don't care who the 32nd Grip and 88th Make-up Artist are.

As for the Marvel movies training me. They DID! Then about half to two-thirds of the movies I waited on didn't have credits scenes, so I stopped waiting. It wasn't worth watching a ton of credits for very short end scenes in at best a third of the movies I go to. Now I'll only wait if I've heard in advance that there are credit scenes.

Ryujin

Legend
That's the only reason I will look at credits, and I generally know in advance that they worked on it. The rest of the time and when nobody has worked I know worked on the movie, I zone. I just don't care who the 32nd Grip and 88th Make-up Artist are.

As for the Marvel movies training me. They DID! Then about half to two-thirds of the movies I waited on didn't have credits scenes, so I stopped waiting. It wasn't worth watching a ton of credits for very short end scenes in at best a third of the movies I go to. Now I'll only wait if I've heard in advance that there are credit scenes.
Sometimes I'm looking for a name that never shows up, because they're uncredited. For example Trin Miller, who played the dead wife in "Captain Fantastic." She's a good enough actress that when she auditioned for the part, in which she was only supposed to appear in random pictures, they ended up making a role for her. I was watching some random indie SF movie on either Prime or Tubi and thought, "That hair looks awfully familiar." Sure enough it was her, but uncredited. She got a "thanks" on IMDB.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If you really want to see '80s adult comedies be ruined, watch any of them on TBS. The Turner versions remove anything smacking of raunch. For example in "Revenge of the Nerds" you will have no idea why the sorority girl is suddenly on the nerds' side, toward the end of the movie.
Cable versions of 80's adult comedies remind of Kidz Bop covers of Bruno Mars; I know they exist, but I will never understand why

MarkB

Legend
Cable versions of 80's adult comedies remind of Kidz Bop covers of Bruno Mars; I know they exist, but I will never understand why
I still remember the ITV version of Ghostbusters, in which Venkman's "I'm afraid it is true, your honour" line is amended to "this man has no twinkie."

RobJN

Adventurer
Spider Man: Homecoming's post-credit stinger was the best:

Remove ads