D&D General I think I might have figured out an idea for a new class.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Hmm, well you could create something similar to the Hexblade or the Spellblade. A primary melee class, who can use simple spells to enhance his attacks.
you not quite there, not simple spells full level 5 casting.

it lets you have more opportunities as a skirmisher or solve problems if you a tank or keep people at range if your speced for archery.
it both has interesting ways of fighting and at lest something of a story and stands apart from ranger and paladin for how it gets armour.
so it has at least sufficient basic differences that it could be the class people endless try to make but never succeed at a new half caster

Is this right?:

You have the ability to turn on and off sets of abilities, and each set allows for a slightly different playstyle. For example, you can chose a sneaky mode with good speed and some Stealth benefits, or a tanky mode with higher defenses but less mobility (while limiting the mobility of nearby enemies). Those would be two of several options.

On top of that (which is the main, defining mechanic) you have spell slots which can be used to cast or fuel other class features, such as a Smite mechanic or maybe some other short-but-powerful boosts.

The fluff of the class is a bonding with some sort of spirit creature.

Mind of tempest

So: Anime inspired?
Nah I was getting from other things, never seen an anima that works like this.
Is this right?:

You have the ability to turn on and off sets of abilities, and each set allows for a slightly different playstyle. For example, you can chose a sneaky mode with good speed and some Stealth benefits, or a tanky mode with higher defenses but less mobility (while limiting the mobility of nearby enemies). Those would be two of several options.

On top of that (which is the main, defining mechanic) you have spell slots which can be used to cast or fuel other class features, such as a Smite mechanic or maybe some other short-but-powerful boosts.

The fluff of the class is a bonding with some sort of spirit creature.
a bit more versatile than spirit creature but they are specific entities made for the subclass and tie into other things commonly things people might find cool.

Undrave

Legend
got bored started thinking and ended up with this idea for a half caster.

has that unarmoured thing like barbarians and monks but they can turn it off and on at will.
they gain magic from being boned in an equal partnership with a small entity.
it gives you a bunch of focused magic you supply the weapons and skill.

can be speced both for dex and str going from light and sneaky to big and tanky.
the player can play both characters or the symbiote can be dm played.
the power dynamic is supposed to be more equal than cleric or warlock.

would need something similar to smite I am thinking something more control focused.

does this seem dumb or is this worth thinking some more on?

Sounds a bit like when I suggested a class inspired by Golden Sun!

I think you will find this thread interesting!

Mind of tempest

Sounds a bit like when I suggested a class inspired by Golden Sun!

I think you will find this thread interesting!
interesting I was going for something less fiddly myself but then again I was also going to have an elemental themed subclass.
trying to come up with unique mechanics any ideas?

Undrave

Legend
interesting I was going for something less fiddly myself but then again I was also going to have an elemental themed subclass.
trying to come up with unique mechanics any ideas?
If the theme of the subclass is that strong then it should start at level 1.

I think a list of benefit based on how many 'spirits' you have bonded to you is probably the best bet (some could include flat bonus, other access to cantrips or even spells).

And there should obviously be more generic class features...And there should be a benefit to 'turning off' the power. I suggested the Golden Sun bit because you can make 'unequipping' a spirit the cost for a powerful move. Maybe it replaces your spell slot? Having a certain number of spirits gives you access to spell of X level, but every time you use one, you 'unequip' a spirit, which made make you drop below the threshold for subsequent turns.

Mind of tempest

If the theme of the subclass is that strong then it should start at level 1.

I think a list of benefit based on how many 'spirits' you have bonded to you is probably the best bet (some could include flat bonus, other access to cantrips or even spells).

And there should obviously be more generic class features...And there should be a benefit to 'turning off' the power. I suggested the Golden Sun bit because you can make 'unequipping' a spirit the cost for a powerful move. Maybe it replaces your spell slot? Having a certain number of spirits gives you access to spell of X level, but every time you use one, you 'unequip' a spirit, which made make you drop below the threshold for subsequent turns.
I was going for something more permanent bond wise and with one spirit that grows with you as you level up but I think I have one of the abilities down. a more or less unleashing of the spirit used like a buffed up barbarian rage but you rarely have a lot of charges plus you have spell casting but never more than five per long rest even at 20.
I need something more common to use to set it apart.

Remove ads