D&D 5E I think WotC has it backwards (re: story arcs)

JeffB

Legend
In World of Warcraft, at least, a "dungeon" is a small-ish group activity meant for five players. It usually has 3-5 bosses, some "trash" in between them, and possibly some goals to fulfill in order to progress. When a dungeon is current content, you'd expect to spend maybe 30 minutes on it.

A "raid", on the other hand, is a far larger undertaking. You need a group of 10-25 players, who should ideally make sure to fill more specific niches than "tank", "healer", and "damage-dealer" (e.g. "This boss uses a Curse-type debuff, so you need one or two players with the ability to remove those curses"). The trash is harder. You have more bosses, often 10-15, and they are much harder, and often require a lot of coordination in order to survive specific abilities. A raid is something you do over the course of a few evenings.

Thank you for the explanation.. [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] comment makes sense to me now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First: if everyone else gets to post the same thing over and over again, then so do I. That's already started in this thread, and honestly I think my recycling adds just as much as any body else's does.

Second: there is a precedent for creating sub-forums for overexposed topics. This qualifies.

TerraDave, have you considered that committing the sin that you rail against, while perhaps ironic, is not actually amusing, and does not make you convincing to those who actually make the call on new forums? Moreover, have you considered that by your second point, you're off into the realm of being a tad presumptuous, which makes you even *less* convincing?

In the end, making a pest of yourself will not get people to say, "Morrus, please just make a new forum to make TerraDave shut up!" They will just say, "Make TerraDave shut up!"

S

Sunseeker

I think once they produce several good adventures they'll be able go back through, select some of the best stuff they did and create a "Big Book of Awesome Quests".

Honestly if they started out with a "Big Book of Quests" what you'd get wouldn't be good, but would be "Big Book of the Most Generic Quests Any Idiot Could Write." And noone would buy it.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't really know what is more convenient for WotC to publish... but I do seem to remember that a year or two ago alot of gamers were asking for adventures, and AP in particular, and everyone was saying this was one of the best feature of Pathfinder IIRC.

I would have expected shorter adventures (from a single-evening to e.g. 3-4 evenings) to be released also because they are easier on beginners who may be intimidated by the idea of having to play half a year before completing a story arc.

But it's also possible that shorter adventures aren't financially convenient right now. WotC also re-releases a lot of older material including tons of older-editions adventures, but these aren't easy at all for beginners. It's a piece of cake to convert older adventures by just swapping monsters and NPCs with those from the MM, and then make up DCs using DM's guidelines, but still for potential new gamers even having to wade through an old catalogue and not knowing for sure what would work and what not is not good.

I still think that from the game point of view the best for beginners would be to let them find short cheap adventures on the shelves together with longer AP. But the financial point of view is different.

teitan

Legend
OK... Why do people find it difficult to create their own material, like adventures, with the core rules???? Its all there.

teitan

Legend
I think once they produce several good adventures they'll be able go back through, select some of the best stuff they did and create a "Big Book of Awesome Quests".

Honestly if they started out with a "Big Book of Quests" what you'd get wouldn't be good, but would be "Big Book of the Most Generic Quests Any Idiot Could Write." And noone would buy it.

Didn't work with 4e, Dungeon Delve 1&2 weren't huge sellers were they?

HobbitFan

Explorer
OK... Why do people find it difficult to create their own material, like adventures, with the core rules???? Its all there.

Given unlimited time and energy, I'd be making up all my own stuff. Unfortunately I don't have all the time and energy to do so anymore. Real life and its demands get in the way. So I have to lean on premade stuff more than I did back when I was younger...I'd imagine that's true of alot of people.
That and its hard to be creative on demand sometimes....

Remove ads