• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want an invading army from beyond this dimension. Tell me about it.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Have them use base 12 numbers instead of base 10. That way intelligence gathered by PCs will be unreliable when dealing with troop counts, et cetera.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Mark Chance said:
Have them use base 12 numbers instead of base 10. That way intelligence gathered by PCs will be unreliable when dealing with troop counts, et cetera.

Why base 12 why not something really weird like base 17

or 3, 7, 24, 60, 100

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
bah! stick with feist ... go lizardman with draconic horses being spurred forward by the priests of (insert evil deity here ... tiamat?).

or go Black Company and the cult of Mina ... wait the cult of ... um ... well crap on a stick, someone has put Dragonlance in my Black Company! ... but the idea works.

WoW: Orcs ... demon-crazed orcs ...

Doug McCrae

Legend
Twowolves said:
Make 'em bugs. Give Thri-Kreen wings, use Dromites and Formians, and make them all psionic (preferably with the "Psionics are Different" option).
Good one. Could use the Insectile template from Savage Species, which can be applied to humanoids, monstrous humanoids and giants. Insectile gargoyles, medusas and centaurs would be plenty weird. I imagine the medusas with a bunch of centipedes sticking out their heads. All the spider creatures, like aranea, ettercaps and bebiliths. Also giant vermin and swarms commanded by a vermin lord from MM3.

Lovecraft:
Eberron has aberrations as invaders from another dimension. Double-faced, four-armed goblins, gaunt tentacled humanoids and runehounds, led by mind flayers and beholders. Doppleganger spies (not technically aberrations but they seem weird enough.) The stranger looking demon lords such as Juiblex could be refitted as aberrations to become the leaders of the operation.

The Plane Of The Apes:
An army of intelligent apes (give apes an int of 10 and class levels) with their more primitive dire ape and girallon minions. Maybe they have King Kong as backup.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Arkhandus said:
The FAR REALM.

Yeaaaah. :]
Seconded. That's what's happening in my Eberron game, as Xoriat, the Plane of Madness, is about to open up its connection to Eberron again. In great part thanks to the efforts of my PCs :)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Trees

No, really. Before anything else was there what were there? To paraphrase a song "there were plants and bugs and rocks and things." What if instead of animals it was the flora that had a ball. An entire planet/plane/whatever of plant creatures. Where animals never developed beyond that necessary to support plants. Most importantly what happens when they get out into the wider multiverse and see how plants fare at the mercy of these abominations that do not photosynthesize.

The coolest part of The Two Towers was the march of the Ents, leverage that. First the portals open and nothing happens, just seeds and spores and pollen drifting through. But nobody who goes in comes back. Then the enemy appears, and it's forests. Angry trees led by Colossal Elder Treants, with regular treants, battlebriars, splinterwaifs and tendriculous as main forces. Preceded by wood-woads, thorns, woodling or wood elemental creatures. Even worse the longer they take an area the more it changes to suit them. Trees waking up and becoming hostile(as if animated but immobile until final stages) creatures taking on the features of plants, even in the midst of what should be safe areas their outriders can appear. Sprouted from the seeds and pollen that wafted out of the portals in the beginning.

A second potentially cool one would go with the aberation idea but focus on less lovecraftian themes. The invasion of the spellweaver empire! Their armies of blink dogs and displacer beasts, girallions, grey renders, etherial filcher spies and marauder raiders, astral stalker assassins, warforged troops by the battalion. Changeling agents, Gerivar living seige engines. Shadesteel golem killbots.

Hell, you can even have both, their ages long interplanar war spilling over onto the campaign world of the heroes.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Grippli -- it's my default answer for everything. Tons and tons of grippli, egged on by their Slaad overlords. Puts a new spin on the goblin/hobgoblin paradigm, and you can make all sorts of different "tribes" (much like Draconians from Dragonlance).

Plot? These frog-folk are invading new territory to terraform a new home habitat: a noxious, jungle-covered planet where the atmosphere is poison gas (methane, maybe?). I get a flash of one of the planets on Titan A.E. -- trees containing explosive gas, and the land is composed mostly of water.

That should tick off the Druids and Rangers, at least. *LOL*

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads