D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Raghnall stares into the distance going back down there was a bad idea but he couldn't leave that vile sorcerer down there extending his arm Raghnall nods."I will kill that monstrosity if it costs my life. These people don't remember anything, everything is the same as before we left."

"We have the advantage this time. First, we don't have to defend the children. Second, we know he uses cold spell as his go to attack and he can summon devils. Finally, I can use this without it trying to kill me. But maybe he can detect it from afar so we can use myself as bait."

Realizing that he is standing in the middle of the road with his book open with likely an extatic smile, he regains his composure and heads to the inn. There, he sees his companions and his cousin and goes strait to them. "When do we go back?" he says, laconically but to the point.

"Ah, Thael." with wide smile, young explorer hugs the elf "I was just explaining what happened. And how we now have advantage against the sorcerer. And I'm wondering when will others appear and what will they remember. We need to compare memories."

OOC: speaks in suitable language to each, but translates as needed

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thael impatience washes over by the affections of his cousin. He hugs him back, glad that they are all safe in the inn. But his curiosity is rekindled when he remembers the book the innkeeper has. He answers his cousin "Agreed, and maybe we can learn a thing or two before we go back. Excuse me for a moment" and he steps away, and heads towards the innkeeper.

"Greetings! I will need accomodations for the night. Do you have rooms available?" Thael knows the answer, but figures he needs to act "normally". As he waits for an answer, his eyes scan the books on the shelf, again, trying to act "normally" and he says: "That looks like a rather interesting book, mind if I borrow it?". Knowing the answer, he prepares the items he will offer as a security deposit: his mace and crossbow.

After the innkeeper's response, Thael says "How about weapons in exchange of words". It's an attempt at being funny, as funny a sages ca be. "this thing cost me a good 25 gold when I got it" he adds, pointing at the crossbow.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kilvo finds himself at a table in the center of the room, a full mug of ale on the otherwise empty table. He takes a moment to blink away the confusion, then promptly turns the full mug of ale into an empty one. The hollow thud as he slams the mug down on the table signals the barmaid that he is in desperate need of a refill.

Creamsteak

Explorer
There's only Pete, no barmaid, but he'll hustle a bit to make sure you've got your tankard full.

He agrees to hold the items in exchange for holding the book. "You seem committed, though I wager the book might still be worth more. The illuminations are quite pretty, but I can't make much more sense out of that."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thael heart is racing. illuminations! it must be magical! He thinks. "Thank you sir", he says to the innkeeper; "I will retreat to my room to freshen up."

Going back at his companion's table, he tells them. "I have a hunch that this book contains information that we will find useful. I will be in my room. I need about an hour. Come and get me if there is a problem".

In the room, Thael is torn. He wants to go through his spellbook to see everything he now understands, and wants to start to decipher those things he can't...yet! However, the book is calling, and he starts invoking ritual magics to learn about its secrets.

OOC: Ritually cast comprehend languages, then read book

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall is bemused by all the excitement over a book knowledge would not save you from a sword blow however curiosity gets the better of the man, leaning over Raghnall peers at the book.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The number Mansions is unknown, although it is known that the mightiest and oldest, the High Mansions, numbered nine. The greatest, most powerful and most populous was Siöl, located deep under the northern Great Kayarsus Mountains, defending a series of fortified passes leading east into Eänna. The proudest and most fiercely independent was Nihrimsûl, located under the south-eastern Yimaleti Mountains. Cil-Aujas lay in the east, under the peak of Aenaratiol at the south tip of the Osthwai Mountains. Ishoriöl, the Exalted Hall, lay in the far west, beyond the Demua Mountains near the shores of the Great Ocean. Viri lay underneath the peak of Antareg in the Urokkas, a small range of mountains overlooking the Sea of Neleöst, the Misty Sea. Illisserû, the Lighthouse, was located in the Betmulla Mountains overlooking the Sea of Meneanor, with Curunq under the Araxes Mountains of the east and Cil-Aumûl under the Hinayati Mountains of the far south. Western-most of the Nine was Incissal, located under hills near the Great Ocean.

Each Mansion was built under mountains to hide it from the watching eyes of the gods. It is thought of this author that the gods feed on feelings, emotions, suffering, greed, laughter, and love in all their myriad forms. The rulers of each mansion sought to avoid the sight of the gods on the outside, but what they had not expected was to find that which dwells in the depths. Fleeing from the gods who feast on our strengths and weaknesses, they cast themselves deep into the earth only to find that there too were gods. These new gods were young, not yet having taken true shape, and they gave power to some.

The rulers of the mansions closest to these sore wounds in the world learned to silence emotion in themselves. Only the protection of the logos, a kind of rigid logic, could keep this thing at bay. So they built a wall, a great barrier between themselves and the depths. Yet, forces above and below, and the natural shifting of the plates of the earth itself would occasionally crack these walls.

The book goes on to detail one such crack, and the man who went into the depths to seal this thing... though looking at the end it appears he never himself returned to tell this story and it largely sounds like a fantasy conjecture... something apocryphal.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Does the geographic references mean anything to Thael? History [roll0] plus [roll1] from guidance

A bit disappointed that the book didn't contain more, Thael focuses on his spellbook, and relishes in the new found understanding he has of the arcane arts. He commits as many of these spells to memory as they they will certainly come handy.

Before leaving his room, he casts another ritual, focusing on the book borrowed from the innkeeper, just to make sure the book isn't magical. He will keep his concentration on the spell, in case he perceives more magic around this area.

OOC: cast Detect magic as a ritual, he maintains concentration on the spell as he comes back to his companions

Meeting back up with his companions, Thael laconically says to his cousin "Have you learned anything new, because I haven't?". He then returns the book to the innkeeper in exchange for his gear.

Creamsteak

Explorer
[sblock=History]The number of "mansions" in this work matches the number of large mountain ranges on the main continent. These mountain ranges, however, are quite large. Finding some burried city might be impossible. Historically the elves did trade with a race of grey-skinned men from across the ocean in ancient times. Of course, this was back when magic was considered more common than it is now.[/sblock]

Remove ads