(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Maybe we can convince them that they're better off leaving us alone?" asked Donnell while quickly collecting his surviving arrows.
Kahru looked back at the squire with an approving nod and despite Waythes urgent drive to slay these too he sain “there is merit in that”.

The Barbarian Druid had moved closer to the Colonel, around the dead carcasses, as he considered the options before them, to flee, subdue the stone giants or keep on fighting.
Stone giants are known for wisdom are they not?“ he posed the question to himself as much as the others “Perhaps with these worthless bulks slain and with Thyffons favour we can convince the Steinjotenen to abandon Nosras failed scheme

Time was of the essence now and though he was not fully recovered, Kahru steeled himself, waiting to see how the others might respond ”but Colonel where will they return and what need we do to subdue them?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel's head is pounding; he can feel the minute ticking away. "Decide quick -- they'll be coming soon. I'm no negotiator, but if someone wants to speak first, say so."

OOC: The Colonel can intimidate, but not persuade. If someone wants to persuade , please say so. If you want the COlonel to try to be diplomatic, tell me. Otherwise, we can attack and try to keep one or two of them alive:

PHB 198: Knocking a Creature Out.
Sometimes an attacker wants to incapacitate a foe, rather than deal a killing blow. When an attacker reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack, the attacker can knock the creature out. The attacker can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt. The creature falls unconscious and is stable.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"I can speak, and I agree that there is no need for bloodshed if the stone giants are willing to talk. I have met stone giants in the past, and indeed, they tend to be reasonable. Speak now if you want me to bring up any point or ask any specific question."

OOC: Gimlak has +8 persuasion, and as Prince of the Dwarven kingdoms, they may be tempted to at least listen

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel looks a Gimlack, and says, "Tell me when you're ready." Then, over his shoulder, "Donnell; find cover."

OOC: Colonel moves to where Gimlack is, and, when given the nod, will cast Guidance on Gimlack. This will end concentration on Banishment, but give him +1d4 on any ability check he makes within a minute, assuming he keeps concentration.

I don't see a natural way for the Colonel to be out of the line of sight when this happens. His hands are empty, of course.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There was a whooshing wind, and the two Stone Giants returned, with furious expressions on their faces. One looked as if nothing could calm his fury but a fight to the death, but the other put a hand on the first one's shoulder and gestured to the carnage of the room. They had, of course, heard about the death of Chief Nosnra the night before. Now faced with the utter destruction in the great hall, they understood that these small folk were a force to be reckoned with. Perhaps a force to be reasoned with.

As it appeared that the invaders were prepared to to parlay, the (slightly) calmer stone-giant spoke, saying, "I am Utharn. This is Laerthar, Emissary of Thane Arnak of the Howling Crag. You may speak to him."

Utharn stepped aside, and Laerthar said as if he found it hard to believe, "Am I to understand that you are the slayers of Chief Nosnra, his second wife Grutha, and their entire brood? You have made my task for my Thane much more difficult."

OOC: If any of you others want to place yourselves, just let me know where you are.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak steps toward the stone giants with a practiced calm and composed demeanor. "Thank you Utharn and greetings Laerthar, I am Gimlak Silverbeard, Firstborn son of Torbin, King of the Mountains. Apologies for the unannounced imposition, but we had a quarrel with your hosts, and did not want to force your hand. Indeed, Nostra and the others were less than cooperative with us, which was unfortunate for them." Pausing for a second to let the information sink, Gimlak adds "Do share what your Thane requested, perhaps our objectives can converge, or at least, not be in conflict with one another."

OOC: Persuasion roll with guidance: 1d20+1d4+8= 20

BTW, banishing the two stone giants was absolutely brilliant, Kudos @Kobold Stew!!!!

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Snakes can remain still for long stretches of time, waiting patiently to see what a potential prey will do and whether it will wander carelessly within reach of a poisoned fang or suffocating coils. Likewise, Duvrael remained motionless, relying on his lack of movement to keep him unnoticed until the stone giants make any indication of getting hostile.

The spell that kept the starspawn invisible, outside, was a minor buzzing in his head, requiring his focus but only a bit, so that the yuan ti wizard can easily follow the conversation between Gimlak and the stately jotuns.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Stone Giant Emissary eyed the dwarf for a moment, sizing him up, as it were. Gimlak had carefully used the title "King of the Mountains" in describing his father, for he knew that announcing which mountains would likely lead to conflict. The stone giants and the dwarves of the Crystalmist mountains had long argued over who was king of what.

Soon Laerthar replied, saying, "Your quarrel with Chief Nosnra no doubt began with his raids. We stone giants have remained neutral when it comes to raiding. It is neither here, nor there, to us. Thane Arnak has us here to learn what the Dirt Giants have found under their steading, and to join in its excavation. Two of my men work to uncover it now."

He turned to his aide and asked (in giant), ::Are there dwarves among the laborers?::

Utharn nodded and added, ::I believe there are some involved in the excavations and more of them at Smolderheart's Smithy::

Laerthar waved a hand, as if that last was more information than he cared to have, and he said magnanimously, "I will have them released into your custody."

"Heed my warning: With Chief Nosnra and Grutha dead, you will find that there will be a short reprieve followed by righteous vengeance. His first wife, Morzul, was mother to a few of these... offspring. That she did not eat them as babies suggests that she was fond. She has the ear of Jarl Grugnur of the Shrouded Glacier. The frost giants will soon be on the march."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlack represses his anger. These giants didn't value dwarven lives to use them as slaves without a second thought. However, nothing showed in his demeanor.

"Your gracious gesture to release my brethren is much appreciated, let us go to them so we may take them into our custody"

Following the warning regarding Morzul, Gimlak smiles. "Many thanks, yet again. We prefer to discuss these matters but are more than capable to deal with any disagreement"

OOC: @FitzTheRuke, do any of our characters know about this Smolderheart's Smithy? Note that we can all communicate telepathically to exchange this information.
I don't believe Gimlack knows anything about it: Int check: 9

Remove ads