[IC] Return of the Runelords

G

Guest 11456

Lunysh identifies the apparition you encountered earlier as a ghost. She also recalls that ghosts have a frightful moan special attack.

It is just past four so you have a little less than two hours until you are to meet Audrahni at the Creekside Tavern and Inn for dinner.

Randolf speaks up. "Well! I have learned never to turn down a free meal. She said she wanted to buy all of us dinner. I for one am not passing this up. Perhaps she knows something about what is going on around here. I know I don't. I have some business to attend to but I hope to see all five of you in a few hours for dinner." He then turns and walks away from the circle heading north.

OOC: Frightful Moan (Su): The ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost's moan for 24 hours.

Kaodi

Hero
"I believe it was an ordinary ghost," answers Shendra, shifting her gaze to the spot where it appeared. "A spirit that remains tethered to this world after death but which lacks a corporeal body. While it should be natural to fear encountering such a spirit the sheer terror that overcame us was supernatural in origin."

Straightening her back and tilting her head up ever so slightly the seer towards the direction of the Creekside Tavern. "Should we encounter it again this day my hope is we shall not be similarly overcome," Shendra says airily. "I cannot guarantee the same should we it be our misfortune to meet any day afterward. But in any case I think I shall retire to my quarters until supper. Should you require any assistance you are welcome to join me."

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Not ordinary." Teea's breathing sped up... but also progressively deepened, until: A long draw in. Hold. A looong push out.

And then she straightened, and let go.

As Shendra talked the young girl walked over, behind the dress-maker's overtured tables, and with some effort extracted her uncle's new-bought sword from where she'd dropped it in her panic -- seemingly ages ago.

Offering it back on a platter of both her small hands, dartingly not looking him directly in the eye... "I'm sorry."

Scotley

Hero
Teodor remains pale and quiet after his panic in front of his friends. He slowly gets himself back together. "I don't have much appetite, but I would like to hear what she has to say. Who better to explain what we saw?"

G

Guest 11456

You arrive at the Creekside Tavern and Inn or enter the tavern part if staying there. Audrahni is at a table big enough for all seven of you. You each order what you want for dinner. As dinner is ending and the group is relaxing with post-meal drinks, Audrahni clears her throat. “Thank you again for taking the time to chat with me. You seem like capable sorts—certainly not the type who’d be content to live out lives of comfort in a small town like Roderic’s Cove. I don’t mean that as an insult—far from it. I’ve been in town for several years and I think the Cove needs people like you: heroes. The stink of violence is in the air. The near-confrontation you were just involved in isn’t the first we’ve had recently... surely you’ve heard of the slaughter that took place last week? Something strange is going on here in Roderic’s Cove, and someone needs to do some investigating to figure out what that is. I’m hoping you’ll be up to that challenge. I know you are wondering about the ghost that appeared earlier. That was Sir Roderick himself. The last time Sir Roderic’s ghost made appearances in the Cove was during events 10 years ago that culminated in a minor uprising. Roderic’s Cove’s previous port-Governor, Jess Gildersleeves, was run out of town after she was found to be undermining Roderic’s Cove by diverting funds meant for the small town to shady interests in Riddleport. I believe that Sir Roderic grows restless when his beloved cove is in danger, not that he is the cause of those dangers himself. I now suspect that, in order to give the town’s founder the rest he finally deserves, Roderic’s Cove must be made safe for its citizens, but that requires first determining what sort of peril is building in the town’s shadows. I've done a little bit of work looking around town for clues, but I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best at getting people to talk or noticing subtleties. Perhaps your group will have better luck than I did in finding out more. As for Roderic’s ghost, an investigation of his old home, an abandoned building outside of town called Roderic’s Wreck, would be a logical step, but the old building is dangerous and you should be careful and deliberate in your investigation of the building. I hope that your group will become heroes for Roderic’s Cove. I’m certain that something dire, in need of a group of heroes’ attention, is building within the town, and also that the ghost can be put to rest if the town is saved.”

Randolf asks a question of the elf. “What can you tell us about the recent and unexpected outburst of violence that took place in the Circle a few weeks ago?”

Audrahni nods and replies. “The six victims have all been buried, but as the one who gathered the bodies and dug the graves, I know some information about them. All six were human, locals who left behind no immediate family. Of the six, two worked as trappers, one as a fisher, and three were unemployed. One thing tied them together apart from their shared deaths: all six wore the same rune on their clothing, a rune I recognized as the old Thassilonian rune of wrath. This marking identified the dead as belonging to one of the new gangs in Roderic’s Cove: a group called the Horned Fangs. One of the bodies bore an obvious sign of death—a deep puncture wound to the throat from a stabbing weapon, I suspect a rapier or short sword, but the other five bore no physical wounds at all. The expressions frozen on their dead faces suggested a singular cause of death to me. I believe they all died of fright. I also know that the first person on the scene of the massacre was Ladia Kelstrop. Any other questions?”

Kaodi

Hero
Shendra looked disdainfully down at the glass of wine she holds between her fingers. "I don't really care for the 'h' word," she says a bit dismissively before taking a sip. She looks away to the side at nothing in particular. "Why that's the sort of results oriented thinking that might cause one to leap before they look, or even count their chickens before they've hatched!"

She leans her elbow onto the table. "But..." she says with a long pause as her head turns towards the elf, her lips widening in a conspiratorial smile. "...if you are looking for someone to relieve people of their secrets and ferret out a mystery you have definitely come to the right place." The voices were positively singing.

Shayuri

First Post
Mei Ying sat up straighter, her interest abruptly piqued.

"Thassalonian runes? Criminal gangs are using these runes as markings? How peculiar. Where did they even find such things to copy, I wonder."

She taps a long, delicate finger on the tabletop three times in rapid succession, then nods.

"I will help to placate the town yokai, and bring who is responsible for awakening its wrath to justice."

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Two hours ago:

Just before they left the plaza, Teea hesitated... then leaned down and delicately touched the Circle ground above which the spirit had appeared -- as if afraid any brusk move just might disturb... something.

OOC: Anything of note about this particular spot of ground, TS? Does she 'feel' anything odd coming from it?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Michael listens intently as the elf tells her tale. He also does his best to set a good example and not order any of the alcohol; not while Teea is around anyway.

"You mentioned a criminal gang. Were the six men long-standing members of this community or transients? It might give us an idea of how long they've been operating."

Remove ads