D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

Archon Basileus

First Post
@Greenmtn, sorry for the delay, no Ki needed! Action totally needed, though, hehehe. Also, @Neurotic, I'm assuming it does, given the nature of the dungeon and the closeness of the structures. I see no reason to limit it, in other words!]

The heroes leave the half-sunken chamber behind as they crawl through the passage. The last sounds are the fading voices of the prisoners, openly discussing whether the heroes will actually return or not before deteriorating into a scattered debate about their roles in that place. It seems such dialogues are all that is left for them.

Despite the restraints of the path, even the tallest among the heroes can pass without much trouble. They have to crouch all the way through, though, and Thulwar's stature becomes quite the advantage, as does Lyllie's. As the metallurgist takes point protected by his mechanic servant, he easily discerns a similar stone seal guarding the other end of the passage. Imitating Yttrian's gesture, Thulwar wastes no time pushing the contraption inside, causing the seal to slide in a similar manner to the first one.

The passage opens to another hall, and for the first time since their departure, the heroes grasp the magnitude of their objective. The room, now a chamber in ruins, is similar to the first one in size. Unlike it, though, it holds a precise, geometric shape to itself, as if it was chiseled from stone by an army of dedicated dwarven stonemasons. The radial perfection of the room has been disturbed by the passage of time, though, as it lies in ruins, surrounded by large cobwebs and broken in several areas. Columns have fallen, inner walls and sections - it seems this hall had half-walls inside - have crumbled due to the action of time and, as a final testament to the strife lived in these chambers, part of the floor collapsed, leading to a mow of unending darkness that plummets much beyond what could be considered the pavement of the cave. The place was once richly decorated by banners on all walls, hanging beneath the busts of prototypical specimens of sentient races, seven in in total. Now they lay, torn as ghosts, underneath the whiteness of silk produced by generations of spiders. Between these, old frescos depict the conquests of elfic and dwarven heroes, human kings and draconian princes, denizens of the underworld and silvan races, heavens and hells in shock. One last depiction shows the advent of the Teraphim, their true forms hidden behind their distinctive sets of armor, as they do battle against a wealth of enemies, all vanished by time's merciless influence.

The maps collected at the library do not lie: this was the Entente's Circle, an underground palace that greeted travelers to the Sanctum. Many a nobleman visited these corridors in the earlier days of the Teraphim, seeking blessings and holding court before the messengers of the gods. Legend has it that the most skilled among them were invited to live along the Teraphim. Some went back and ruled as wise kings and prophets - such as the Dukes of Wellington did once, before their fall.

Despite the impressive view, this is not what concerns the heroes, for the room is taken by fire pits and noisy campers. The sound of pickaxes resound against the stone and the rude laughs of soldiers explode from the spots of light that litter the floor. Orcs. Goblins. The greenskins took the area for themselves, squatting around as they feed, drink and command a band of poor slaves to dig through the distant northeastern wall. Their numbers are great, and it seems more of them are moving through the eastern door, which rests wide open. The explosion of rude voices cursing, yelling and laughing at each other, along with the clinging of metal against the rock, are enough to obscure the signs of the heroes' arrival. Sliding out of the passage, all heroes are about forty feet above the mass and confusion of the encampment, remaining unnoticed so far.

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EprfJl2xm_JM7K2VZ59EMtydVJIBjK1ZMDetVr2LoEo/edit#gid=0

@Greenmtn @Charwoman Gene @JustinCase @Shayuri @hafrogman @industrygothica @Neurotic

Archon Basileus

First Post
The overworked slaves are apparently human or elfic in origin, for the most part, but in the distance a couple of gnomes and a solitary dwarf woman can be found as well. Considering their general features, odds are they were captured at the mountain's basin, possibly on account of a past ride. It also seems they have seen their share of misery, being bruised and thinned and keeping their heads low, as if afraid of potential consequences.

As Lyllie studies the miners, a vigorous salve comes from the eastern corridor. Soon after, an entourage of six orcs comes inside, flanking an ogress that drags another prisoner in chains. This one is no ordinary captive, though. The tall, blonde figure holds the posture of a defeated warrior, bearing the marks of a recent fight all over her body. She's been stripped of all her weapons and armor, her torn clothes covering the many cuts made on her resilient skin by several blades in streaks that denote a brutal attack. But what's most impressive is the stature of the prisoner: she grows even taller than the ogress, reaching almost nine feet, and a muscular body makes her presence even more imposing. Still, she's imprisoned by heavy chains, and her head is low as if her spirit was somehow broken, denying her the heroic posture her structure suggests.

The ogress pulls the tall female inside, shoving her at the center of the room.

"HERE WE HAVE IT, MEN!" - she yells, employing the language of men, probably seeking to be understood by the prisoners in general. "The mighty Embla, daughter of giants and maiden of storms, defeated by Sardath!" - cries of celebration rise all over the room, horns are risen, drinks are spilled, soldiers are pushed. "Now beg, coward! GO ON, BEG!"

Embla maintains her head low until Sardath pulls her face up, looking her in the eye. "Beg..." - she repeats with a disdainful tone.

"Give him back.." - Embla mutters.

"WHAT?"

"I SAID GIVE HIM BACK!"

Laughs all around. Sardath studies the rest of the soldiers and gestures as someone who can't hear.

"PLEASE! GIVE ME MY SON!"

"OOOH, THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT! THE BABY, OF COURSE!" - an explosion of laughs and mockery follows.

"Bring him..." - she commands in the language of orcs.

Soon, a group of four goblins enter the room, bringing an abnormally large child, rolled in a bundle. The child is bigger than each of the goblins, and they maneuver carefully to bring him inside. Sardath orders them to a halt a small distance from Embla.

"Here... Now, proud Embla, admit Sardath to be your better. Admit your defeat..."

Embla assents without question. "Yes... You bested me..." - her eyes are pleading.

"Good..." - Sardath pulls a decorated bottle from her belt. "One last thing: deny your gods, deny your Teraphim, and swear allegiance to us, on your blood... And we shall give you the child." - she opens the small bottle and motions it towards Embla's lips. "Drink. Release yourself from their opression."

Embla stares at the bottle, considering her options with teary eyes.

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...oEo/edit#gid=0
[MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] [MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION]

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

Harfik whispers to the group as to not draw unwanted attention.

"Good guys and bad guys are the things of children's stories. The ugly truth is that everyone does what they think is necessary, everyone is on their own side, we need to find out who's needs are closest to our own." Harfik looks around surveying the area.

"The Giants needs are to protect her child. Her hesitation is terrifying. Aanzu, If I might suggest, there are too many of us to get through here without being noticed, and to many of them to fight without a plan. We should act quickly and free the slaves, we could gain allies. The condemned said there were skilled men that came this way before us." Harfik looks distantly over the cavern, pain can be seen in his eyes. "If nothing else they could be a distraction."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu looks on impassively as the giant and her child are paraded in front of the gathered horde of slaves and goblinoid scum. He listens to Harfik's words but does not respond right away; instead, the dragonborn seems to be assessing the situation and looking at it from different angles.

His gaze sweeps over the whole scene, from the blooded and beaten form of the mother giant, to the furthest walls where prisoners are in chains, to the vicious gestures the vile goblins make.

Finally, he nods, slowly.

"Once freed, the mice can distract the deadliest cats. But to release the mice, birds need to distract the cats."

Turning to Lyllie, whom the dragonborn knows is a capable spellcaster, Aanzu asks, "Can the little one make birds fly?"
OOC: I'm merely asking for a distraction, such as a fog cloud spell, or perhaps just a loud noise somewhere else in the cave; it doesn't have to be birds. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Bad guys are always those taking freedom from others and threatening babies. And we don't have much time for perfect plan, she's buckle any moment. Go as silent as you can, I'll call attention to myself as a distraction. Unless you want me to free the slave, I'm good at it." Thulwar offers

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
There was a soft whirr as that 'bolt-casting' device emerged from Icosa's shoulder.

"I excel at distractions," he offers quietly.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
There was a soft whirr as that 'bolt-casting' device emerged from Icosa's shoulder.

"I excel at distractions," he offers quietly.

"Try talking first, but give me 3 breaths to get down and hide." Thulwar looks down looking for a quick, but silent way down. He speaks in some strange language and changes into a goblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: Acrobatics is +4 if needed; disguise self spell; in this case, stealth would maybe be helped by bluff if someone sees me?

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian scowls and spits as he considers the scene before them. Then he nods. "Thulwar has the right of it. There may not be such things as 'good guys' anymore. But there are definitely still 'bad guys', and we're looking at them. I'm going down there, conceal yourselves or ready whatever distractions you wish." He starts fishing in his pack for a rope to allow him to descend.

OOC: Yttrian will allow Thulwar his three breaths, but in the meantime, he'll look for someplace to secure a rope to allow him to get down safely.

Remove ads