D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (River Gang)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: All of that will work. There's plenty of shrubbery, and trees on the north side. The south side (Blackpeak side) is somewhat barren, though plenty of rocks, and the occasional shrub. You could walk to the Temple Gate by climbing over a hundred yards of rocks, but you can't see it. The Watchtower is twice the distance away than the Gate is, completely out of sight.

You are around the north side of Blackpeak, and both those structures are on the west face. The Gate is approximately central, and the Tower is almost at the south corner. You can safely go a little ways by foot into the tunnel before it gets dark, but it gets steeper and slipperier as it goes. (and louder) Might be easier by boat, if you're gonna end up in the water anyway...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"Don't worry about slipping Kurson, if you do we'll pull you back with the rope. I just want to know about that waterfall ahead - we could *real* easy plunge to our death here. Let's not take the boats until we know for sure"

"Hey Draco, do you have one of them fancy familiars?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: To be clear: You want to tie a hundred feet of rope to a tree, then to Kurzon, and send him in by himself with no light (because he has Darkvision)? You'll lose about 25 feet of rope between the tying and the nearest tree not being too close to the entrance, but he could theoretically make it 75 feet or so into the tunnel. It'll take time, but it's doable. Any objections? (Particularly from River Song?)

Speaking of taking time, I'm going to do a time audit for both parties. Imani mentioned that there was "three hours before sundown" just before the groups broke up. So: It took 5 minutes to gather gear and meet Loklafd. You waited 15 minutes for him to finish the second kayak, and it took 25 minutes to get it to the water. You practiced paddling for about 5 minutes in the pool, and took 10 minutes getting to the tunnel. These are rounded approximations, obviously.

So the River Gang is at 2 hours to Sundown.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: 1: was there any decent campsite between the side stream and the entrance of the tunnel?

2: Metagamingly, we know that the tunnel waterfall wont murder us... but our characters don't. We really need a pair of eyes on that waterfall

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: 1: was there any decent campsite between the side stream and the entrance of the tunnel?

2: Metagamingly, we know that the tunnel waterfall wont murder us... but our characters don't. We really need a pair of eyes on that waterfall
OOC: 1: Sure, on the north side you could pitch a tent. It would be visible if anyone climbed up the rocks from the Gate, but you don't see why anyone would do that, unless they had reason to think someone is coming (or just do general perimiter patrols) There's nothing up here but rocks and forest.

2: I suppose. But Imani recruited you for being brave. If he had told you of every instance of potential injury, A: You'd still be talking about it, and B: No one would go. He made no secret it was a dangerous mission. He also said it was urgent.

I'm cool with you being cautious. It might save your lives. But it will take longer to play out, especially by PBP. Unlike a 4 hour game day, we don't have an out-of-game time limit. So I don't mind letting things breathe.

That said, sometimes it's better to just take the jump.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Location: Tunnel (River Side Passage), 1 hour 55 minutes to Nightfall

With a secure rope tied around him, Kurzon makes his way slowly out of the light and down the tunnel. The deep stream twists and turns, and drops steadily. The rushing water echoes loudly in the tunnel, and Kurzon can hear nothing else. The bank is wet and slippery, and the spray soaks Kuzon's boots.

About sixty feet in, plying the rope behind him, Kurzon reaches a large rock jutting out from the tunnel wall. The stream twists around it, but there would be room to avoid it in the kayaks. It would also be easy enough to climb over. Kurzon considers it, and pushes himself up on the top of it. Even with the limitations of darkvision*, Kurzon can tell that the ground on the other side would be difficult to cross. The tunnel widens, but the water spreads out over the bank, leaving a slippery-looking slope. Sixty feet ahead, just at the range of his vision, the water plunges over a falls.

The drop seems to be about fifteen feet, into a pool, perhaps? It's hard to tell without moving further forward, but the idea of being dragged sixty feet back up the stream by the rope if he falls in does not appeal to Kurzon.

EDIT to add: Kurzon thinks that this would all be safe enough for Aquaria to swim, although she couldn't see.

OOC: AS I'm sure you know, you still have disadvantage on perception checks in darkness with darkvision. Even Drow and Duergar use lights when they really want to see things.

GM: What next? Do you want to go forward or back? You still have 15 feet of rope, but that won't get you far.

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Drako smiled, “No, I have not been blessed with a familiar, my patron has given me different gifts instead.”

Rubbing the side of his face Drako continued, “I hope our friend is staying safe in there.”

OOC:
These database errors are driving me mad

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ooc: this will depend on what Kurzon reports/does.

Udit scratches his chin.

"Uh, we could attach the rope to a piton to give you more range. Or we could build a mini raft with branches and put a torch on it, float it down. It will probably go out when it goes down the fall but it will give you some light befor it does? I really would like to know more about that fall..."

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads